open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Belief in one's identity as a poet or writer prior to the acid test of publication is as naive and harmless as the youthful belief in one's immortality... and the inevitable disillusionment is just as painful." - Dan Simmons (Hyperion)
- (Added by: Emil)

SF/F/H Series lists
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Report ErrorsMessage format

Weesam
Posted 2016-10-21 9:56 PM (#14465)
Subject: SF/F/H Series lists

Uber User

I have been going through th SF/F/H Series lists here and there are some books missing.

For example:
David Barnett's Gideon Smith series has only books 1 and 3 listed
Daniel O'Malley's Checquay series has only book 1
Veronica Roth's Divergent series has only book 3
Felix Gilman's Half-Made World series has only book 2
Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series has only book 7
Charles Stross's Laundry Files has 3 novellas, but only books 6 and 7 of the main series

If you look under the Author's listing you can see that the books are all there and listed in the series, they just don't seem to be coming through onto the SF/F/H Series list.

There are many more like this, these are just a few I noticed and know are wrong.

Edited by Weesam 2016-10-21 10:15 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2016-10-21 10:37 PM (#14466 - in reply to #14465)
Subject: RE: SF/F/H Series lists

Admin

Weesam - 2016-10-21 9:56 PM I have been going through th SF/F/H Series lists here and there are some books missing. For example: David Barnett's Gideon Smith series has only books 1 and 3 listed Daniel O'Malley's Checquay series has only book 1 Veronica Roth's Divergent series has only book 3 Felix Gilman's Half-Made World series has only book 2 Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series has only book 7 Charles Stross's Laundry Files has 3 novellas, but only books 6 and 7 of the main series If you look under the Author's listing you can see that the books are all there and listed in the series, they just don't seem to be coming through onto the SF/F/H Series list. There are many more like this, these are just a few I noticed and know are wrong.

The issue is that some of the series books are listed as SF and others as Fantasy or Horror.  On the author page or in search results they show properly because we don't filter for genre like we do on the series pages.  I'm fixing these now.  I don't know a good way to find all the ones in the DB though so if you see more please let me know.

Weesam
Posted 2016-10-22 12:48 AM (#14467 - in reply to #14465)
Subject: Re: SF/F/H Series lists

Uber User

Ah, I hadn't even noticed there were tabs for the different genres.

I have been going through the Fantasy tab and this is what I noticed there. Sorry for the long list, but you should be more careful what you ask for!

Lavie Tidhar - Bookman Histories
Jodie Taylor - Chronicles of St Mary's - book 6 missing
Max Gladstone - Craft Sequence - books 1 and 2 missing
Daniel Abraham - Dagger and the Coin - books 2 and 3 missing
Ian McDonald - Everness - books 1 and 2 missing
Ray Bradbury - Green Town - book 1 missing
Barbara Hambly - James Asher - book 1 missing
Amanda Carlson - Jessica McClain - books 1, 2 and 3 missing
Brandon Sanderson - Skin Deep - book 1 missing
Kate Griffin - Matthew Swift - books 2-4 missing
Stephen Baxter - Mammoth - books 1-3 are in the Fantasy tab, but book 3 only is also under SF
Tee Morris - Ministry of Peculiar Occurances - books 1 an 2 missing
Ransom Riggs - Miss Peregrine's Children - book 1 missing
Michael Swanwick - Mongolian Wizard - book 1 missing
The New Doctor Who Adventures - only book 32 is in fantasy
George Mann - Newbury & Hobbs - books 1 to 3 missing
Jo Graham - Numinous World - book 2 missing
Italo Calvino - Our Ancestors - book 1 missing
James Lovegrove - Pantheon - books 2, 3, 4 and 6 missing
Gail Carriger - Parasol Protectorate - book 4 missing
Orson Scott Card - Pathfinder - books 2 and 3 missing
Anne McCaffrey - Pern - books 1,3,5 and 7 under fantasy - all the rest under SF
Sheri Tepper - Plague of Angels - book 2 missing
Carrie Patel - Recoletta - book 2 missing
SL Huang - Russell's Attic - books 3 and 4 missing
Chris Wooding - Tales of the Ketty Jay - books 1 and 2 missing
Deborah Coates - Taylor County - book 1 missing
Jasper Fforde - Thursday Next - book 1 missing
Rachel Pollack - Unquenchable Fire - book 1 missing
Philip K Dick - Valis Trilogy - books 1 and 2 missing
Andre Norton - Witch World: Gryphon Saga - book 1 missing
Alaya Dawn Johnson - Zephyr Hollis - book 1 missing

I won't be going back over the SF list, but will have a look through the horror list next.
Weesam
Posted 2016-10-22 1:20 AM (#14468 - in reply to #14465)

Uber User

the Horror list - I have left off anything that is also listed on the above fantasy one.

Jon Courtenay Grimwood - Assassini - books 2 and 3 missing (I would have thought all these belonged in fantasy)
Freda Warrington - Blood Wine - book 1 missing
Jim Butcher - Dresden Files - book 15 is the only one listed in horror
Lee Carroll - Garet James - book 2 is the only one listed - this is fantasy
Ray Bradbury - Green Town - only book 3 is here
Leigh Bardugo - The Grisha - only book 2 is here - this series is fantasy
F Paul Wilson - The LaNague Federation - only book 5 is here
Ferrett Steinmetz - Mancer - only book 3 is here
Mira Grant - Newsflesh - all the books are listed as SF/Horror except Rise, which is only under Horror
Mira Grant - Parisitology - only book 3 is here
Brad Munson - Rain Triptych - book 2 is missing
Alden Bell - Reapers - book 1 is missing
Jaye Wells - Sabina Kane - book 1 is missing
Sarah Griffith - Vampire Empire - books 1 and 2 missing
Storm Constantine - Wraeththu Chronicles - only book 3 is here

And here is where I stop. These are just the ones I noticed from series I know. It is probably not a complete list of inconsistencies.
Administrator
Posted 2016-10-22 7:41 AM (#14469 - in reply to #14468)

Admin

Weesam - 2016-10-22 1:20 AM And here is where I stop. These are just the ones I noticed from series I know. It is probably not a complete list of inconsistencies.

Thanks very much for the research!  I've corrected all these on you lists.  These are relatively easy fixes - except when the genres are not clearly evident - which is part of why the problem exists in the first place.

Somebody puts in books 1 and 2 as Fantasy then the next Uber comes along, maybe years later, and adds book 3 but he or she considers the book to be Horror.  That Uber uses whatever clues they have at hand to make a spot judgement when they're submitting a book that they likely have not personally read.

I also made a run through the data table looking for inconsistencies in the genre label within a series.  I got through series starting with D and will make a few more passes and see how many I can correct that way.  I'm sure there are many more of these to find which distresses me to no end.

DrNefario
Posted 2016-10-24 8:36 AM (#14482 - in reply to #14465)

Uber User

Maybe just adding an "All Genres" tab would help?
Administrator
Posted 2016-10-24 10:56 AM (#14483 - in reply to #14482)

Admin

DrNefario - 2016-10-24 8:36 AM Maybe just adding an "All Genres" tab would help?

Well, we split the listing into genres because the list has gotten so big.  The page was taking a long time to load and it was so long that it made looking through the series a bit of a pain.  That's a big server hit too each time someone visits those long pages like "S" where we have Star Trek and Star Wars.  We may end up paginating the individual letters next to reduce the load further.

There are currently 207 SF series that start with the letter S.  That's a long page to pull up and a bit much to search through.  (If we added the other S series we'd be up to 309!) We'll probably do the pagination and dole out 25 series at a time to give us 9 pages of S series in SF.  Smaller server hits and less data since most people won't really page through them all.  As it is, when you hit the S page we're giving you everything whether you you need it or not.

With the next iteration of WWEnd we'll introuduce a bunch of sorting and filtering to the Series List so you can search through SF series by sub-genre, date of publication for the first or last book in a series, average rating range, etc. etc. so you can find something to read faster.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)