open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws." - Douglas Adams
- (Added by: Administrator)

Apocalypse Now! 2017 Reading Challenge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-01-02 11:17 AM (#14881)
Subject: Apocalypse Now! 2017 Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Veteran

It's back!

Don't you ever just want to watch the world burn? Well, so do I! Let's have a nuclear campfire and read a bunch of apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction together! Got your respirators on?

The Rules:

* Any genre of fiction is acceptable, so long as it focuses on the end of the world as we know it.

* Re-reads are okay, but you must have read the book more than five years ago or it must be a new edition.

* Dystopias only count if they follow the end of the world. (So Oryx and Crake counts, but The Handmaid's Tale does not because only the United States went to hell; the rest of the world is doing just fine.)

* Video game and RPG tie ins are absolutely acceptable as long as the Apocalypse is the focus (so Dark Sun novels are perfect, but Mechwarrior is not; Fallout, Wasteland and The Last of Us are perfect, but Mass Effect is not)

* This challenge was so popular last year, and people finished it so quickly, that this year I have decided to up the ante a little bit. The level requirements are increased, but hopefully not so that they're out of reach for the more casual reader.

See you in the wastelands; if we survive!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-01-02 11:21 AM (#14882 - in reply to #14881)
Subject: Re: Apocalypse Now! 2017 Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Veteran

Weesam! Glad to see you back, especially since you said last year that apocalyptica wasn't your thing.

Badseedgirl, I am taking your Goodreads recommendation on Dies the Fire. I've actually read the first Emberverse trilogy before, but it's been long enough now that according the rules I can do a re-read. Which is awesome, because I haven't touched the second Emberverse trilogy at all, and I might need a bit of a detail refresher.

I'll probably get to The Passage and The Road later this year. I'm sampling that Moira Young YA series to see if I think it's any good. If I do, I;ll read the sequels. Might try Station Eleven too.

Not a lot of apocalyptica in my SF Masterworks list this year. I might have to work at this a bit.
kabouter
Posted 2017-04-12 4:34 AM (#15576 - in reply to #14881)
Quote Reply

Just finished reading 'Earth Abides' by George Stewart. A decent read, although I'm puzzled by the fact that the survivors of the Great Disaster still mostly eat canned food after 21 years. That must be a bore. Makes you wonder how many cans they found, must be a lot of raided warehouses. Also the Great Disaster itself was very clean, almost no dead bodies to be found, highways are clear of cars. Apparently nobody died on the road. But apart from it was a good read, not overly complicated. A quick read.
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-05-06 2:53 AM (#15683 - in reply to #15576)
Quote Reply

Veteran

kabouter - 2017-04-12 2:34 AM

Just finished reading 'Earth Abides' by George Stewart. A decent read, although I'm puzzled by the fact that the survivors of the Great Disaster still mostly eat canned food after 21 years. That must be a bore. Makes you wonder how many cans they found, must be a lot of raided warehouses. Also the Great Disaster itself was very clean, almost no dead bodies to be found, highways are clear of cars. Apparently nobody died on the road. But apart from it was a good read, not overly complicated. A quick read.

I think Stewart's point was that inertia following the disaster (possibly in part due to the trauma) was what drove the people in it to the situation they were in. Hunting is *hard* and if you're doing it for subsistence, takes a lot of energy. Easier to open a can of Sherriff's Irish Stew or Chef Boy-ar-dee.

I did notice the lack of dead bodies, and I think Stephen King did too when he borrowed the trip across America almost whole-hock for The Stand. I even know where he got the idea for Larry Underwood in the New York tunnel. Did you see it too? Or have you read The Stand?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)