open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Where men can't live gods fare no better." - Cormac McCarthy (The Road)
- (Added by: Emil)

All Clear by Connie Willis as Hugo & Nebula Winner, as well
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Report ErrorsMessage format

rretzler
Posted 2018-05-22 1:26 AM (#17037)
Subject: All Clear by Connie Willis as Hugo & Nebula Winner, as well

Shouldn't All Clear by Connie Willis also be listed along with Blackout by Connie Willis as the winner of the 2011 Hugo Award for Best Novel and the 2010 Nebula Award Best Novel?  Both novels are combined for the award, and I think both should be listed on the WWE site as winning the award.  See:

https://nebulas.sfwa.org/award-year/2010/

http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/2011-hugo-awards/

Thanks,

Robin

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2018-05-22 8:14 PM (#17044 - in reply to #17037)
Subject: RE: All Clear by Connie Willis as Hugo & Nebula Winner, as well

Admin

rretzler - 2018-05-22 1:26 AM

Shouldn't All Clear by Connie Willis also be listed along with Blackout by Connie Willis as the winner of the 2011 Hugo Award for Best Novel and the 2010 Nebula Award Best Novel?  Both novels are combined for the award, and I think both should be listed on the WWE site as winning the award.

I see where you're going with that but the problem is that one award was given for both volumes as a single book.  If we put the second book down as an award winner then Connie Willis will have 2 Hugo, 2 Nebula, and 2 Locus SF awards for what was counted as a single book in two volumes.  Our policy is to list the first book as the winner whenever there is an award given for multiple volumes or a list features an entire series as one place on the list.  It's not perfect but it ensures that WWEnd's records match the number of rocket statues that Connie Willis has on her shelf.

To help folks understand what's going on I've updated the synopsis for both books to include a note that explains things:

Note: Blackout and All Clear are regarded as being a single large book split into two volumes for award purposes. We have assigned the award nominations to Blackout, the first of the two volumes, so that we list the same number of awards as Connie Willis has statues on her mantle. 

I'm open to suggestions if you can think of a way to improve my note.  Thanks!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)