open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: To grow out of these cracks and crannies, out of these shadows and darknesses, into greatness and the light! - H. G. Wells (The Food Of The Gods)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Suggestion: alternative 2ndary sorting for award worthy books
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

mgkurilla
Posted 2018-12-09 10:29 AM (#19470)
Subject: Suggestion: alternative 2ndary sorting for award worthy books

Regular

I would like to offer a suggestion for an alternative sort for the award worthy books page. Right now, the primary sort is on the number of votes with a secondary sort of alphabetical order for books with equal votes. Have you considered the secondary sort being the number of people who have read the book, rather than alphabetical order? I would enjoy getting a sense of how popular each offering was without having to look at each one individually.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2018-12-16 11:56 PM (#19481 - in reply to #19470)
Subject: RE: Suggestion: alternative 2ndary sorting for award worthy books

Admin

mgkurilla - 2018-12-09 10:29 AM I would like to offer a suggestion for an alternative sort for the award worthy books page. Right now, the primary sort is on the number of votes with a secondary sort of alphabetical order for books with equal votes. Have you considered the secondary sort being the number of people who have read the book, rather than alphabetical order? I would enjoy getting a sense of how popular each offering was without having to look at each one individually.

Hmmmm.  Now that is an interesting notion.  You're saying it's of interest to see how many people consider the book award worthy out of the number of people who read the book.

So how would it look?  I guess we could show the number of votes / number of reads.  For instance on the 2015 SF list - Luna: New Moon would be 11/71 and The Water Knife would be 11/93. The listing order for that tie would stay the same since 11 out of 71 is a better percentage than 11 out of 93.

But, the tie for 4 votes between Apex 4/33 and The Watchmaker of Filigree Street 4/25 would reverse in the display.

I like that.  I'll talk to whargoul about putting that into the lists.  Thanks for the idea.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)