open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There's no such thing as writing about the future. The future hasn't happened yet." - Joe Haldeman
- (Added by: Emil)

Ender's Sequal (for real this time)
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

icowrich
Posted 2008-11-12 11:46 PM (#1492)
Subject: Ender's Sequal (for real this time)

Admin

Ender's Sequal (for real, this time)

Rico Simpkins

Yeah, Orson Scott Card has written plenty of follow-up books to his 1985 classic, Ender's Game.  None of them, however, satisfied the reader's question about what happened next.  The events of Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide happen thousands of years later, Ender's Shadow was a retelling of the original novel, and Shadow of the Hegemon jumps back to the 22nd, century, but nowhere near the events of the Formics war.  Then there were all those prequal short stories, and then....well, you get the point. 

Orson is a tease.

Well, it seems he has finally taken pity on us.  Finally, Mr. Card aims to satisfy with a direct sequal to Ender's Game, depicting Ender as a teenager, unable to return to Earth.  This novel promises to fill in the gaps between Enders Game and Speaker for the Dead, and presumably results in Ender deciding to board the interstellar ship that push him forward in time.  Look for this book to get a nomination or two.  You can find a press release here

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2008-11-13 8:31 AM (#1493 - in reply to #1492)
Subject: Re: Ender's Sequal (for real this time)

Admin

Ender in Exile?  I'm not too sure about this one. It seems as if Card has been milking the Ender franchise for a long time with varying degrees of success. I've read the original 3 novels and my appreciation of them went down with each successive book. So much so that I've not been tempted by the other books at all. I guess I'll wait and see on this one. That it's a direct sequel to the events in Ender's Game is encouraging! I will keep an open mind at least until the reviews start coming in. - Dave
Deven Science
Posted 2008-11-14 11:30 AM (#1495 - in reply to #1492)
Subject: RE: Ender's Sequal (for real this time)

Uber User

I worry about this, because when Asimov picked up the Foundation series thirty years later, it was in a totally different voice. Card is a different person now, and so I'm thinking he should have just left well enough alone. We'll see once it comes out though.

For the record, I've read Ender's Game, and Speaker For The Dead. I think that's it.
matthew
Posted 2008-11-19 11:30 AM (#1498 - in reply to #1493)
Subject: Re: Ender's Sequal (for real this time)

New User

Administrator - 2008-11-13 8:31 AM

Ender in Exile? I'm not too sure about this one. It seems as if Card has been milking the Ender franchise for a long time with varying degrees of success. I've read the original 3 novels and my appreciation of them went down with each successive book. So much so that I've not been tempted by the other books at all. I guess I'll wait and see on this one. That it's a direct sequel to the events in Ender's Game is encouraging! I will keep an open mind at least until the reviews start coming in. - Dave

I agree to some extent. I think the first novel was by far the best, and I enjoyed it the most of the original trilogy.

The "reboot" of the series is more of a guilty pleasure read for me. Its seems as if Card, after years of requests, decided to cash in and give the fans exactly what they wanted. I find myself in the "fan of the original Ender book" category, and have read all of the sequels.

I pick up the books because I want them to be better than they actually are. In the end I am mildly entertained but neither writer nor reader are recapturing the original glory days of that first awesome Ender book.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)