open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I have never thought about myself. Living or dying, they're the same thing. Because naturally, Life is not in this little body. What matters is the way in which we live and the message we leave behind. That is what survives us. That is immortality. -- Rita Levi-Montalcini
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Our reads in October 2021
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2021-09-30 1:18 PM (#23427)
Subject: Our reads in October 2021

Elite Veteran

So now its Spooky October. Any special plans for the lead up to Halloween?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2021-09-30 1:24 PM (#23428 - in reply to #23427)
Subject: Re: Our reads in October 2021

Elite Veteran

Dusty's reads for October
Robert W Chambers - The King in Yellow
Roger Zelazny - Night in the Lonesome October
Amanda Stevens - The Restorer
Clive Barker - Weaveworld

Weird tales from the Magnificent Seven - Arthur Machen,Algernon Blackwood,M R James,H P Lovecraft,Clark Ashton Smith;Robert E Howard,Robert Bloch.
And brooding in a dark corner,staring at a strange bust of Pallas Athena,the rather unwholesome,creepy but most definitely a genius,Mr Edgar Alan Poe.
Really going to just relax and frighten myself with some great tales,both new and rereads
daxxh
Posted 2021-09-30 8:55 PM (#23429 - in reply to #23428)

Extreme Veteran

I think I will read A Night in the Lonesome October as my Spooky read for the Halloween Challenge. I know where it is this year as all the books are out of boxes. I may reread some Poe just because. I have started The Human and need to finish it for multiple challenges. It is good so far. I have another Neal Asher, Idylls of the King and the last Expanse novella to read as well, but I haven't been sticking to the planned stack lately so who knows what I will actually read.
Weesam
Posted 2021-09-30 10:09 PM (#23430 - in reply to #23429)

Uber User

I'll be reading the new books by RJ Barker (Bone Ships Wake) and Naomi Novik (The Graduate). I've been looking forward to continuing both these series. I've also started a re-read of all Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books. There are quite a few of them.
Weesam
Posted 2021-09-30 10:09 PM (#23431 - in reply to #23429)

Uber User

I'll be reading the new books by RJ Barker (Bone Ships Wake) and Naomi Novik (The Graduate). I've been looking forward to continuing both these series. I've also started a re-read of all Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books. There are quite a few of them.
daxxh
Posted 2021-10-27 7:02 PM (#23504 - in reply to #23427)

Extreme Veteran

I didn't seem to read as much as I have been and didn't read as much sci-fi this month. I will blame the beautiful fall weather keeping me outside. What I did read :

Auberon - James SA Corey. Very good.

Bride of the Rat God - Barbara Hambly. Good. A light fun read. Perfect for Halloween.

A Night in the Lonesome October - Roger Zelazny. Another perfect Halloween read. Love Scruff. I liked this one.

The Mongoliad Books 1 and 2 - Neal Stephenson (Audio books). Definitely enjoyed listening to these. I am over halfway through Book 3.

If the weather stays this nice, November may also be a sparse reading month. I sure don't miss that PNW rain!

dustydigger
Posted 2021-10-31 8:05 AM (#23511 - in reply to #23504)

Elite Veteran

Mr Dusty and I have been laid low with terrible colds for weeks.Glad I was mostly reading short stories which could be fitted in short periods when I wasnt taking care of Mr Dusty or myself!
FINALLY completed Eye of the World.Why do I so often feel famous classic fantasy was written with youngsters in mind? No wonder Martin got so cheesed of with the epic fantasy of his day he became an iconoclast who smashed then rebuilt the genre.in a very much darker,more brutal form.I just cant bring myself to read modern fantasy at all
Started off Spooky October with Mr Poe's The Raven. Its a bit touch and go for the first couple of stanzas,the rhyming seems over the top to our modern ears,and I have to try and tune out Homer and Bart's version,which is absolutely hilarious,but makes a solemn serious read an awful lot harder. :0).But you are soon caught up by the tale.
I tried James Earl Jones's take on the story but was a bit disappointed - a bit rushed,too much emphasing the rhymes etc .Then I found Christopher Lee's marvellous version on YouTube. He subtley tempered the verse,bringing more melancholy and grief to the tale. Loved it.
Robert W Chambers The King In Yellow was weird fiction about a playtext which brings tragedy and madness to any who read the play. It impressed H P Lovecraft who pinched the idea for his Necronomicon.
Also had an enjoyable reread of Amanda Stevens The Restorer. The cemetery is pretty creepy on its own,but things are even worse below ground! :0)
Dean Koontz The Black Pumpkin was all about avery nasty old carver of pumpkins who carves a very nasty pumpkin indeed. Some awful people get quite a comeuppance........
But most of my reads were wonderful stories by Robert Block,Robert E Howard,Algernon Blackwood HPL and the like.Fascinating to read several stories in a row by each author and then compare the widely variant styles and obsessions of different authors. Great fun
All in all its been a good month.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)