open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: ...which is better--to be born stupid into an intelligent society or intelligent into an insane one? -- Aldous Huxley (Island)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Towing Jehovah, by James Morrow
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Deven Science
Posted 2009-01-20 12:49 AM (#1540)
Subject: Towing Jehovah, by James Morrow

Uber User

God is dead. His body found floating in the Atlantic Ocean. Angels instruct the Vatican to bury YHWH up in the Arctic Circle, to preserve the body, and wacky high jinks ensue.

I picked this book up with a whole pile of new books some time ago on a gift card. I thought it could be an interesting read, though I think I expected a tone akin to Kevin Smith's movie Dogma. And while it wasn't that, it did have wacky characters, all driven by their own agenda to get to the two mile long body of God. Some to show Him respect, others to destroy it, and all He stands for.

It was a good book overall, but I won't say that it was great. I think it spent too much time in some dead end directions, which slowed it down, and in the end, it all came down to what felt to me like a bit of a cop-out. For those that liked the afore-mentioned Dogma, or say American Gods, then I would say that you will like this book.

I'll give it a 6 or 7 out of 10.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2009-01-20 8:46 PM (#1541 - in reply to #1540)
Subject: Re: Towing Jehovah, by James Morrow

Admin

I'm in agreement, Deven. It was an interesting read but it never made it beyond the novelty of the premise for me. I liked it well enough even though it made me feel a bit uncomfortable most of the time and down right sqeemish at others. Not for the faint of heart or the devout for sure. It started off strong, indeed it was the excerpt that hooked me on it., but it just got more and more ridiculous the farther on I got. I gave it a 7 because the writing was very good if not so much the story.

- Dave
jynnantonnyx
Posted 2009-01-26 11:29 AM (#1565 - in reply to #1540)
Subject: RE: Towing Jehovah, by James Morrow

Uber User

I've been trying to decide whether to read this novel. Blasphemy on this level needs to be awfully clever and well-written for me to stomach it, and it sounds like it won't be. Heck, I couldn't even make it through Dogma, which wasn't half as smart as Kevin Smith thought it was.

Maybe I'll just pick up American Gods, instead.

Deven Science
Posted 2009-01-26 4:29 PM (#1566 - in reply to #1565)
Subject: RE: Towing Jehovah, by James Morrow

Uber User

James Morrow has already written a sequel to this book, and the premise of it sounds worse. I probably won't bother to pick it up. The writing was good, but his tangents took over way too much of the novel's space. Yes, I'd say to skip it really, if only because there are so many great books out there to better spend your time on.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)