open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety." - Isaac Asimov - Foundation
- (Added by: Administrator)

Vinge talks sequels
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

icowrich
Posted 2009-01-24 8:51 AM (#1561)
Subject: Vinge talks sequels

Admin

Vernor VingeVernor Vinge was interviewed, last month, by Locus Magazine, where he laments the difficulty of near future fiction, and then gives up a few hints about a sequel to Fire Upon the Deep, which he says:

"...takes place on the Tines' world about ten years after AFUD ends. There are many of the same characters, though some of the refugee children are now adults. The super hyper bad guys are still way out in space, rushing as fast as they can rush (in their sublight way) to reach the Tines' world. And then there are the Tines, which for me (and I think for most readers) were the most attractive part of AFUD. (Though I've run into some readers who preferred the Zones stuff, in terms of emotional attraction and novelty, the Tines are the winners.) The nature of Tinish collective intelligence interacts with practically every idiom and cliché. Things like 'I'm a little bit hungry' or 'Why don't you let your conscience go for a walk?' all take on new meaning. Of course, this can also be a problem. I think Samuel R. Delany has pointed out that literalized metaphors put a constraint on science fiction that is not so common in other forms. We science-fiction writers also want to use, and have to use, 'real' metaphors, so we have to write in such a way that the reader can distinguish whether we're using a phrase in the conventional way or if its literalization is what's intended.”

Oh, and about that near-future stuff? According to Vinge, Rainbows End, "cries out for a sequel", but may still be a decade away.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2009-01-24 12:28 PM (#1563 - in reply to #1561)
Subject: Re: Vinge talks sequels

Admin

This is really exciting news! I really loved AFUD. It's the book that made me an instant Vinge fan. Of course, I read it many years ago so I'll likely have to re-read it before the sequel comes out.

- Dave
whargoul
Posted 2009-03-12 11:18 AM (#1593 - in reply to #1561)
Subject: RE: Vinge talks sequels

Admin

Oh God...please no sequel for Rainbows End.
Administrator
Posted 2009-03-16 12:00 PM (#1596 - in reply to #1593)
Subject: RE: Vinge talks sequels

Admin

whargoul - 2009-03-12 11:18 AM Oh God...please no sequel for Rainbows End.

Yeah, I would pass on a sequel to that one.  Not one of his best works in my opinion.  Definitely check out A Fire Upon the Deep though!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)