open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Settle for what you can get, but first ask for the World. -- Ka'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, C iv -- Diana Wynne Jones (The Tough Guide to FantasyLand)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

BookTrackr
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Welcome to Worlds Without End! -> New Features & NewsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2009-02-16 9:12 AM (#1585)
Subject: BookTrackr

Admin

Hello everyone!

We've just added a new page to WWEnd that we'd like you to check out: BookTrackr.

BookTrackr is one of the best features of WWEnd but it's not been properly explained resulting in some confusion for our members and visitors.  This page shows you how it works and gives you some ideas about how you can use it to customize WWEnd to your reading history. If you've not used BookTrackr before this page will walk you through the process, step by step, and you'll be tracking in no time.

If you have any comments or questions about BookTrackr, please post them here. We've got a lot more features coming so watch this space for updates.

Thanks!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
eborg
Posted 2011-11-16 11:28 AM (#2788 - in reply to #1585)
Subject: RE: BookTrackr

New User

I love the booktrackr work, its a great thing to be able to just see immediately how your progress is with each list. I was wondering though if you could add one thing to the Reading Stats, a All Award Winners list. It is currently one of the links you can choose and it would be something that would be nice to have on the reading stats list. Thanks.
Administrator
Posted 2011-11-16 11:59 AM (#2789 - in reply to #2788)
Subject: RE: BookTrackr

Admin

eborg - 2011-11-16 11:28 AM I love the booktrackr work, its a great thing to be able to just see immediately how your progress is with each list. I was wondering though if you could add one thing to the Reading Stats, a All Award Winners list. It is currently one of the links you can choose and it would be something that would be nice to have on the reading stats list. Thanks.

Hey eborg, that's a great idea.  I'm scratching my head wondering why we don't have it already.  I've talked with whargoul about it and he says we can do it fairly easily though we'll have to account for duplicates.  Not sure when we can get it done but I'll post here when it's up.

Dave

origamidennis
Posted 2012-06-19 3:30 PM (#3410 - in reply to #1585)
Subject: Re: BookTrackr

New User

Hi,
Would it be possible to add an 'Owned' line to the graphs? Or even an 'Owned' Colour to the book grids? It would be nice to see
a) where I would be if I finally read all the books I have and
b) what was left to get (or whether or not I was about to buy something I already had!)

Great Site,

Dennis
Administrator
Posted 2012-06-19 9:39 PM (#3413 - in reply to #3410)

Admin

origamidennis - 2012-06-19 3:30 PM Hi, Would it be possible to add an 'Owned' line to the graphs? Or even an 'Owned' Colour to the book grids? It would be nice to see a) where I would be if I finally read all the books I have and b) what was left to get (or whether or not I was about to buy something I already had!) Great Site, Dennis

That is a feature that we've been wanting to implement for some time but it's a bit far down the list right now.  You can tag books as owned on the novel page even though we're not doing anything with that data just yet.  I'll talk to the guys tomorrow and see what we can do about marking the books you own with an icon or an outline or something.  I'm thinking an icon in the lower left corner of the cover might do it.  A little stack of books perhaps?  Any suggestions?

We should certainly do a list of books owned!  I know what you mean about buying the same book twice.  I actually bought the same book 3 times once though, in my own defense, they were 3 diferent covers.

Glad you like the site; tell all your friends!

origamidennis
Posted 2012-06-20 1:51 AM (#3416 - in reply to #1585)

New User

Thanks!
My thought had been to continue the colour theme:
blue:- favourites
green:- read
orange? :- owned
showing the colour closest to the top of this list!
But a stack of unread books icon works :-)

I once bought the same book twice, as part of the same purchase!! I hadn't known that the book had been published under different titles. In MY defence it was a second hand book shop and the books were in cellophane bags (so I hadn't opened them to check).

Dennis
Emil
Posted 2012-06-21 7:18 AM (#3430 - in reply to #3416)

Uber User

I think the icon is a perfect idea. A stack of books, or a small library shelve, or the like. But heavens, to go back to all those I've read and still want to read ... and mark the ones I own ... that will be a job!
DrNefario
Posted 2012-06-21 8:00 AM (#3431 - in reply to #1585)

Uber User

I put the ones I own on my reading list. They show up yellow, then.
Administrator
Posted 2012-06-21 9:40 PM (#3447 - in reply to #3431)

Admin

@origamidennis: Orange shows which books you're currently reading.  The icon can apply to any of the colored states so you can see the books you own amongst your favorites, the ones you've read and the ones on your to-read list. 

Different titles for the same book are such a chore!  I've made multiple entries for the same book in this database because I was unaware that the book was published in the UK, under a different title, a year before it come to the US.

@Emil: Going back to tag your books owned will be a bit of a pain but at least you have a list of the ones you've read to refer to

@DrNefario: That's a simple solution though it takes away your to be read list. 

Emil
Posted 2012-06-22 1:57 AM (#3450 - in reply to #3447)

Uber User

It will be a "lekker" exercise, Dave

(Whoop, whoop my 100th post in the forum!)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)