open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: T. H. White taught me that writing can be more exuberant than is strictly tastful. - Karen Joy Fowler (interview in The Science of Herself)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

2009 Hugo Award Nominees
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2009-03-20 9:42 PM (#1601)
Subject: 2009 Hugo Award Nominees

Admin

The nominees for the 2009 Hugo Award have been announced:

Anathem The Graveyard Book Little Brother Saturn's Children Zoe's Tale

Top of the page Bottom of the page
oldbuddyhank
Posted 2009-11-06 3:09 PM (#1730 - in reply to #1601)
Subject: Re: 2009 Hugo Award Nominees

New User

I freely admit that I have not yet read 'The Graveyard Book' by Gaiman. But I would wager large amounts of dinero that 'Anathem' is a vastly superior book. Obviously this is an extremely subjective statement. Which brings me to a topic that I've thought about for a few years (and am surely not the first to do so). The Hugo award needs to award two best novel winners, one for SF and one for Fantasy. Where does one draw that line? It's very tough to define, but I know it when I read it.
I do plan to read Gaiman's book, but I am predisposed to believe that I will still pick 'Anathem' over 'The Graveyard Book'.
Administrator
Posted 2009-11-06 3:23 PM (#1731 - in reply to #1601)

Admin

That's a common sentiment whenever the awards come around again. I like the idea but I'm not sure how well it would work. One can make the argument that there should be a "Young Adult" category too. Would that dilute the award?

I really like that Locus has the 2 categories tho so I suppose I'd be for it if they went that way tho it would create more work for me!
MT in Austin
Posted 2010-05-11 5:18 PM (#2037 - in reply to #1601)

I read LIttle Brother. It is a really well-written book. I enjoyed it a lot. I don't know that I would consider it Sci-Fi. It is more of an espionage book, At any rate, it is a very good book.

You can download it for free at www.feedbooks.com. Cory Doctorow publishes under Creative Commons.

Edited by MT in Austin 2010-05-11 5:20 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)