open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: At that moment, I got the impression of vast stretches of time, and how hard it was to maintain environmental balance, how you must waste nothing if you expect to survive long enough to matter. -- Whitley Strieber (The Super Natural)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

The Man From Earth
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

Deven Science
Posted 2009-03-31 3:59 PM (#1605)
Subject: The Man From Earth

Uber User

Last night I watched The Man From Earth, which is about to fall off of the NetFlix "Watch Instantly" option, so I had to squeeze it in. It's about a college professor who's suddenly put in his resignation, and moving. All his friends come over for a "farewell" party, and in this intimate setting, he reveals that he's actually 14 thousand years old, and that he has to move every decade or so, when people start to notice that he doesn't age. He has no proof, he doesn't really expect them to believe him, but he's never told anyone before (well, one other time, but they discuss that), and he just wanted to know how it would go over. There is no special effects, no flashbacks, no action. The entire movie is simply an all night conversation. Each of his friend's reactions are different. A couple who think he's certifiable, one who wants for it to be true, one who's simply humoring him, another who gets very angry about the whole thing, etc. Written by veteran Star Trek and Twilight Zone writer Jerome Bixby, the movie seems to have been made as a labor of love by friends and fans of Jerome, who apparantly wrote the script shortly before his death, and didn't get to see it made. It stars many people seen on Star Trek and other shows he's worked on. So, what did I think of it? I really liked it. I have heard some complaint of the acting in the movie, but I had no problems with it. The only fault I had was how quickly some of his friends were willing to play along or even believe him, but as a group of college professors, they probably saw his confession as an interesting thought experiment. The acting was well done, in any case. I was never bored. I wouldn't even have minded had it been a bit longer. The ending had some unnecessary misfortune, but it was a movie that I would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys movies like Diner, or Robert Altman films. Films about the friendship and the conversation, and where it can take you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2009-03-31 8:21 PM (#1606 - in reply to #1605)
Subject: Re: The Man From Earth

Admin

Deven, I second your assessment!

I just love the idea that's at the center and the simplicity of the whole film. Nothing flashy, no unnecessary parts (except that bit near the end) and some great dialog. It really felt like a stage play more than a movie to me. Partly because of the simplicity of the few sets they used and partly because it relied completely on the conversation. It seemed to me that they could have filmed the whole thing in one long take. I would love to see this on stage for real!

I think that the reason some of the characters bought into the idea so quickly is that they've known him for 10 years and he's not aged at all while they have all obviously suffered the usual ill effects of time. They could have played that up some more to make the transition a little smoother but that's a pretty small quibble. You're right about the misfortune scene. Really didn't add anything to the plot and just felt a bit forced.

It's a cast of supporting actors all the way, with no real stand out performances but that's not necessarily a bad thing for an ensemble movie like this. I kept thinking "I've seen that guy!" but I don't know any of them by name. Despite that, I thought the acting was pretty decent overall but it's the story that sold me. I did not know about the writer passing but it definitely felt like a labor of love by folks who really enjoyed the story.

Ultimately, this is a movie I really enjoyed despite the few stumbles. It's a great example of an SF movie with something more to it than action and special effects. Recommended.

Deven Science
Posted 2009-03-31 11:56 PM (#1607 - in reply to #1606)

Uber User

I cross-posted this on my blog, and one of the movie's producers left a comment! In it, he specifically addresses the "was this a play" question asked by another commenter. Here is his comment in full:

Hey man, saw your post! Glad you liked "Jerome Bixby's The Man From Earth"!

Bixby started working on the screenplay in the 1960's and finished it on his death bed in 1998. We optioned the screenplay (after we read it and found it to be fascinating) and made it into a movie. It was originally a screenplay (not a play at first, Kristal... sorry), however, because so many people asked us about making it into a play, we adapted it and it's available at Samuel French.

Please tell people about the flick... keep the word of mouth going!

Thanks again.

Eric D. Wilkinson
Producer
Jerome Bixby's The Man From Earth

This is the second time this has happened to me recently, as once J.C. Hutchins left a comment after I recommended his "7th Son" podiobooks.
Administrator
Posted 2009-04-01 7:54 AM (#1608 - in reply to #1607)

Admin

Hey, that's pretty cool! The Man from Earth is a movie I like to tell people about. It's not the kind of movie that gets a lot of attention but definitely deserves a look.

I'm glad they made a play out of it but I'm sure it won't be showing anywhere near Dallas.
jynnantonnyx
Posted 2009-04-01 1:55 PM (#1609 - in reply to #1608)

Uber User

Sounds like My Dinner with Andre meets Highlander.
hihik
Posted 2009-07-22 3:20 PM (#1678 - in reply to #1605)

Regular

If I were asked what was my favorite movie of all times I'd probably spit out "The Man From Earth". Terrific.
Speculations Afoot
Posted 2016-09-01 7:40 PM (#14256 - in reply to #1605)
Subject: RE: The Man From Earth

New User

Awesome Movie! In my All-Time Top 30. I actually have a list of over 200 ranked in blocks of 50. The top 30 with dual indication.
Jerome Bixby, gotta love it. One of the all-time great short stories, "It's a Good Life" (great Twilight Zone episode too).

My favorite movie type is minimalist, atmospheric, cerebral, thinking (thought provoking), etc. I like them sometimes, but I get tired of the blockbuster, special effects, action types all the time. Other SFF in the top 30 are Solaris (1972), Stalker (from Roadside Picnic), Fantastic Planet, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back.

Edited by Speculations Afoot 2016-09-01 7:42 PM
Deven Science
Posted 2017-01-14 7:52 PM (#15090 - in reply to #14256)
Subject: RE: The Man From Earth

Uber User

I also enjoy minimalist, cerebral films, though I must admit that I enjoy the Marvel type blockbusters almost as much. Specifically with the minimalist angle, when a movie is mostly in one setting location, and uses that one setting well, I really dig that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)