open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Take it from somebody who has been around for a million years: When you get right down to it, food is practically the whole story every time. -- Kurt Vonnegut (Galapagos)
- (Added by: Scott Laz)

Silver Screen
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Report ErrorsMessage format

icowrich
Posted 2009-07-06 12:21 AM (#1657)
Subject: Silver Screen

Admin

First published in the UK in 1999, but it shows up as 2005 in our database because that was the date of the first US publication. Since we include American and UK awards, shouldn't we list this by whatever date comes first?

It messes up the chronology to go only by the US date, since some awards (Clarke, BFA, BSFA) end up predating the publication listing, as is the case with Silver Screen.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2009-07-06 8:10 AM (#1658 - in reply to #1657)
Subject: Re: Silver Screen

Admin

I'll have a look at these when i get back from vacation. I don't have data access on the road. Thanks for pointing these out and keep adding them as you find them. Please add them to a single thread tho so I can go down the list and make adjustments.
icowrich
Posted 2009-07-06 11:54 PM (#1659 - in reply to #1658)

Admin

I can keep the rest of them on this thread, but I did post earlier messages in this same chat room.

I also have another request. Can we post the complete Locus nominees...even for the years when there are, like, 30 of them? I'd hate for someone to search for a Locus nominee and not find it on our site. That happened to me, today, on a Gene Wolfe book called The Fifth Head of Cerberus.

-Rico
icowrich
Posted 2009-07-07 12:44 AM (#1660 - in reply to #1658)

Admin

There is another Gene Wolfe issue. Remember the Wizard Knight problem? We need to revisit it. The Knight (book 1 of the Wizard Knight duology) received a 2004 Nebula nomination, but a republished omnibus edition, called just The Wizard Knight, received Locus and WFA nominations.

We solved this problem by assigning all awards to The Knight, but this is inaccurate. We should have a seperate entry for The Wizard Knight, and it should have the last two awards, and The Knight should only have the one award.

It seems like that solution won't hurt anything, but I'm sure I'm missing something.
icowrich
Posted 2009-07-10 1:04 AM (#1662 - in reply to #1660)

Admin

The Greg Bear series of books containing Eon, Eternity, and Legacy is called "The Way" but we have entitled it "Eon", presumably because that is the name of the series. Can we fix that?

Also, when you click on the link for the series, you get a bunch of books that are not part of the series, but have "eon" somewhere in the tile, presumably. Can we fix it so that a series link only searches the "series" field and not the book titles?

Finally, and yes, this isn't a fix so much as a new feature, can we have the series/universe distinction implemented?

-Rico
icowrich
Posted 2009-07-11 2:43 PM (#1663 - in reply to #1662)

Admin

The Majipoor Cycle should linclude the following books:

* "The Book of Changes" (novella, 2003)
* Sorcerers of Majipoor (1997)
* Lord Prestimion (1999)
* King of Dreams (2000)
* Lord Valentine's Castle (1980)
* Majipoor Chronicles (story collection, 1982)
* Valentine Pontifex (1983)
* "The Seventh Shrine" (novella, 1998)
* The Mountains of Majipoor (1995)

It currently only includes the award winner, Lord Valentine's Castle.
Administrator
Posted 2009-07-12 11:48 AM (#1664 - in reply to #1657)
Subject: RE: Silver Screen

Admin

icowrich - 2009-07-06 12:21 AM First published in the UK in 1999, but it shows up as 2005 in our database because that was the date of the first US publication. Since we include American and UK awards, shouldn't we list this by whatever date comes first? It messes up the chronology to go only by the US date, since some awards (Clarke, BFA, BSFA) end up predating the publication listing, as is the case with Silver Screen.

I looked at this one and we have both publication dates for Silver Screen so I don't think there is anything else to do with this one.

Administrator
Posted 2009-07-12 12:08 PM (#1665 - in reply to #1659)

Admin

icowrich - 2009-07-06 11:54 PM I can keep the rest of them on this thread, but I did post earlier messages in this same chat room. I also have another request. Can we post the complete Locus nominees...even for the years when there are, like, 30 of them? I'd hate for someone to search for a Locus nominee and not find it on our site. That happened to me, today, on a Gene Wolfe book called The Fifth Head of Cerberus. -Rico

We looked at doing this in the beginning but I don't think it's necessary to show the entire list.  We only show the finalists for the 2 categories.  This from the Locus site explains our position best (the bolding is mine):

"Readers make up to five ranked nominations per category; votes are tabulated according to the 'Carr' system, awarding a first-place vote 8 points, second-place vote 7 points, etc. The leader in each category is declared the winner. Beginning 2005, the top five finishers in each category were revealed as 'finalists' prior to announcement of the winners at a public event."

The Fifth Head of Cerberus was on the initial list but did not make it to the finalists list.  Yes, I know they didn't start that until 2005 but they have always listed the noms in order of finish so we have the top 5 finishers for each year anyway which amounts to the same thing as the finalists list.

I can update the Locus list pages to show "Finalists" instead of "Nominees" if that will make things more clear.

- Dave

Administrator
Posted 2009-07-12 12:59 PM (#1666 - in reply to #1660)

Admin

icowrich - 2009-07-07 12:44 AM There is another Gene Wolfe issue. Remember the Wizard Knight problem? We need to revisit it. The Knight (book 1 of the Wizard Knight duology) received a 2004 Nebula nomination, but a republished omnibus edition, called just The Wizard Knight, received Locus and WFA nominations. We solved this problem by assigning all awards to The Knight, but this is inaccurate. We should have a seperate entry for The Wizard Knight, and it should have the last two awards, and The Knight should only have the one award. It seems like that solution won't hurt anything, but I'm sure I'm missing something.

I knew we had not heard the last of this one!  It has been fixed as you suggested.  The Knight retains it's 2004 Nebula nom and The Wizard Knight (omnibus edition) now lays claim to the 2005 Locus and WFA nominations.  The images won't go live until tomorrow but the data is updated.

Thanks for helping to clear this one up.

- Dave

Administrator
Posted 2009-07-12 1:34 PM (#1667 - in reply to #1662)

Admin

icowrich - 2009-07-10 1:04 AM The Greg Bear series of books containing Eon, Eternity, and Legacy is called "The Way" but we have entitled it "Eon", presumably because that is the name of the series. Can we fix that?

This has been updated.  On Amazon they refer to it as the Eon Series so I was using that.  I've changed it to The Way Series and have added book 2 Eternity to the DB so we have the full set.  The images for will be deployed to live tomorrow.

- Dave

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)