open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Even a poet cannot get everything right. - Ursula K. Le Guin (Lavinia)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Anathem
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

joe_white101
Posted 2009-10-23 12:42 AM (#1723)
Subject: Anathem

New User

Anybody reading Anathem?

I've got around 100 pages left and I am exceedingly impressed. I've read a lot of Stephenson's work and this is my favorite by a wide margin. It combines the intelligence of Cryptonomicron and the intrigue of the Baroque Cycle.

It is a deep book. I'd love to hear what other people have taken from it.

I you haven't read it and like anything else that Stephenson has written then you will love Anathem.

joe
Top of the page Bottom of the page
oldbuddyhank
Posted 2009-11-06 2:52 PM (#1729 - in reply to #1723)
Subject: Re: Anathem

New User

I finished it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Never thought that I would find interest in philosophical theory, but it was fascinating. It was better than 'The Diamond Age' and 'Cryptonomicon' which is high praise for me. Haven't read Baroque Cycle yet. As one reviewer put - Stephenson has the ability to render complex ideas into clear, understandable language. Highly recommended!!
leftkidney
Posted 2010-08-23 5:14 AM (#2163 - in reply to #1723)
Subject: RE: Anathem

New User

so I know this is an old topic but I didnt want to start a new one

does anyone know what the size of the place where they are at, how big is it how is it shaped and such

I have read the book and I have no idea what most of everything in there looks like other then what I have seen in the trailer I saw and some random artwork - I want to know what the dimensions of the whole place where they live at
Blue gargoyle
Posted 2011-07-29 6:53 PM (#2537 - in reply to #1723)
Subject: Re: Anathem

Reviving an old topic also since I didn't want to start another Stephenson thread

Great fan of NS. Loved Anathem, Snow, (Diamond was disappointing in my view), and Crypto. But it puzzles me why Crypto was included in any way in SciFi awards, similarly the Baroque Cycle. Just because a secondary character seems to be able to live forever doesnt make them anything more than historical fiction (or did I miss something?)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)