open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: When it comes to the point where you occasionally look forward to being in prison on the basis that you might be able to spend a day reading a book, the realization dawns that perhaps the situation has become a little more stressful than you would like. - Julian Assange
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Overlooked Books
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2012-03-11 11:33 PM (#3106 - in reply to #2951)
Subject: Re: Overlooked Books

Admin

iftyzaidi - ...(The Nanotech Succession), which are probably worth adding to the database: 1. Tech-Heaven 2. The Bohr Maker 3. Deception Well 4. Vast http://www.librarything.com/series/The+Nanotech+Succession

Tech-Heaven The Bohr Maker Deception Well Vast

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jfrantz
Posted 2012-03-31 1:55 PM (#3155 - in reply to #1750)

Just took a look at this thread now and I'm wondering what ever happened to the suggestion of an overlooked books list?
Administrator
Posted 2012-03-31 10:37 PM (#3157 - in reply to #3155)

Admin

jfrantz - 2012-03-31 1:55 PM Just took a look at this thread now and I'm wondering what ever happened to the suggestion of an overlooked books list?

Yeah, this thread morphed into a "you forgot this book" long ago.  The orignial idea to make a list just never panned out.  Forum participation is sporatic at best so it just died.  We didn't push it because we had, and still have, lots of lists to add to the site.

What I've always thought would be a cool list is to create an "Alternate Hugo" list.  Go back and look at all the eligible books from each year and pick a new shortlist then have a vote from there.  With the benefit of hindsight you could come up with a pretty damn good list of books.  Comparing the actual Hugo to the Alternate Hugo would be interesting.

jfrantz
Posted 2012-04-01 1:25 PM (#3158 - in reply to #3157)

Yeah, that would be cool! Seems like just as big an undertaking though? It would probably even be fun to take a re-vote on the nominees.
WillMo
Posted 2012-05-03 2:52 PM (#3199 - in reply to #1750)

New User

I really enjoy the "Overlord" books. Really got into them. Reminded me of this new medium of fiction I just discovered last week called "emotobooks" I really got into their sci-fi title called "Swing Zone" Has a lot in common with Overlord. Loved It.
gallyangel
Posted 2012-05-10 11:52 PM (#3210 - in reply to #1750)

Uber User

I noticed that you added World Without End by Haldeman. That's an interesting idea: to add early books by name authors, those Star Trek, Star Wars or whichever pop SF books, might just be forgotten. I'm sure some award winning authors might prefer that. But no, we remember. I know Greg Bear wrote at least one Star Trek book: Corona. How many others can we find?
gallyangel
Posted 2012-05-11 12:13 AM (#3211 - in reply to #3210)

Uber User

Haldeman also wrote the Star Trek book Planet of Judgement. Who says that if you start writing pulps you'll never craft anything award winning worthy?
dustydigger
Posted 2012-05-29 1:07 PM (#3257 - in reply to #1750)

Elite Veteran

Everyone starts out as a journeyman,and the good old days of pulps and magazines to learn your craft would probably have already gone by his time.
Blue gargoyle
Posted 2012-06-30 7:53 PM (#3543 - in reply to #1750)

Have to agree with Nate 1234's comment from February (I really should try and keep more up-to-date on this excellent site) regarding how some Sci-fan is really just historical fiction. I've read the G-G Kay "Last light" novel and agree entirely. And what about Neil Stephenson's Baroque cycle that even won a Locus SF? Just because it deviates slightly from true history and has a minor character who is implied to be immortal (& turns up in Cryptonomicon) did not make it SF in my view.

Hi Admin(s). Still doing an excellent job! I note comments about how far this thread has expanded beyond the original intent. I have several other SF novels that are parts of series that I hadnt mentioned because I dont think them quite of award standard. Would you still like to be notified (I have jpgs of covers if that also helps)?
htaccess
Posted 2012-07-02 7:06 PM (#3557 - in reply to #1750)

Veteran

@Dave: I really like the "Alternate Hugo" idea, could be quite a bit of work to setup but I'm sure it would be popular. If you ever did set it up I would suggest staggering the voting over a year or something and doing a decade at a time, hopefully there would be a lot of debate and discussion over the results of the last decade and the best books of the next.

Getting this thread back on topic, I think the Oswald Bastable trilogy by Moorcock is overlooked, steampunk from before steampunk existed.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-03 6:58 AM (#3563 - in reply to #1750)

Elite Veteran

htaccess,is that E.Nesbitt's Oswald Bastable?
justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-07-03 9:55 AM (#3565 - in reply to #1750)

Uber User

According to Wikipedia:

Moorcock stated on the forums of his website] that his use of the name "Oswald Bastable" was not supposed to directly link his character with Nesbit's (i.e. to make his novels into sequels). Rather, he said that he was trying to connect with a particular "Fabian 'liberal' imperialism, still fundamentally paternalistic but well-meaning" which he felt belonged to Nesbit's era.
htaccess
Posted 2012-07-05 2:54 AM (#3587 - in reply to #1750)

Veteran

The trilogy is usually known as "A Nomad of the Time Streams" these days.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-05 3:17 AM (#3590 - in reply to #3587)

Elite Veteran

Somehow I could never get into Moorcock,all tht restless syncopated jazzy style.But I was a teenager at the time,possibly it may grab me more now? ....so many books,so little time....
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-07-05 3:57 PM (#3602 - in reply to #1750)

Uber User

Turns out this trilogy is being rereleased early next year by Titan Books, the same publisher that's been working on a nice Philip Jose Farmer reissue program... Moorcock is mostly out of print, unfortunately.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-05 4:36 PM (#3606 - in reply to #3602)

Elite Veteran

Nice to hear about the Farmer re issues! By the way ,have you seen the thread about comics etc.I know you said you were a major fan,so we look forward to your comments.I know you are very busy,but a blog article on the subject would be most appreciated-as and when you can manage it!
gallyangel
Posted 2012-07-05 5:18 PM (#3611 - in reply to #3606)

Uber User

I'd suggest adding 10 billion days and 100 billion nights by Ryu Mitsuse. It's been acknowledged as the greatest Japanese SF novel of all time and it's now become available in english. it's quite a read.
htaccess
Posted 2012-07-05 9:29 PM (#3614 - in reply to #1750)

Veteran

@gallyangel sounds interesting, I look forward to getting my hands on it.
Administrator
Posted 2012-07-08 10:51 PM (#3664 - in reply to #3614)

Admin

Hey all, in an effort to consolidate all the different "missing books" threads into one place I've just created a new thread:

Can't find the book you want? Make your book requests here!

All the books requests from this thread have been moved over there.  I'm having a hard time keeping up with the requests all spread out so this should make things easier to manage and hopefully I won't miss any!

I'll leave this thread open for the intended discussion.  If you have any book requests please use the new thread.  Thanks!

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)