open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein
- (Added by: Administrator)

Overlooked Books
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

nate1234
Posted 2011-12-03 2:02 AM (#2807 - in reply to #1750)
Subject: Re: Overlooked Books

i think these are the cherryh books currently not currently included, minus the omnibuses (and theres a few of those):

COLLECTIONS:

▪ Sunfall (1981)short stories and novelettes
▪ Visible Light (1986)short stories, novelettes and novellas
▪ Glass and Amber (1987)short stories and essays
▪ The Collected Short Fiction of C. J. Cherryh (2004

NOVELS:

▪ Angel With the Sword (1985)
▪ Heavy Time (1991)
▪ Hellburner (1992)
▪ Port Eternity (1982)

▪ Brothers of Earth (1976)
▪ Hunter of Worlds (1977)

▪ Gate of Ivrel (1976)
▪ Well of Shiuan (1978)
▪ Fires of Azeroth (1979)
▪ Exile's Gate (1988)

▪ The Scapegoat (1985)novella

▪ Rider at the Gate (1995)
▪ Cloud's Rider (1996)

▪ Hestia (1979)

▪ Fortress of Dragons (2000)
▪ Fortress of Ice (2006)

▪ The Dreamstone (1983 novel)rewrite of the 1979 short story "The Dreamstone" and the novelette "Ealdwood"
▪ The Tree of Swords and Jewels (1983 novel)

▪ The Gates of Hell (1986), novel with Janet Morris
▪ Kings in Hell (1986), novel with Janet Morris
▪ Legions of Hell (1987)

▪ The Brothers (1986)novella
▪ The Goblin Mirror (1992)
▪ Faery in Shadow (1993)
▪ Faery Moon (2009)a major revision of Faery in Shadow, plus its prequel, The Brothers

▪ Lois & Clark: A Superman Novel (1996)
http://www.amazon.com/Lois-Clark-Superman-C-J-Cherryh/dp/0761511695...

Edited by nate1234 2011-12-03 2:06 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gallyangel
Posted 2012-01-02 4:49 AM (#2867 - in reply to #2777)

Uber User

The earthsea cycle by Le Guin is incomplete. Tales of Earthsea is missing. The cycle is six books not five.

I'd add to that that her Hainish cycle is also one short in the database. Le Guin's Four Ways of Forgiveness is also part of that universe. And we even get to see a slice of life on the world Hain.

Emil
Posted 2012-01-06 1:47 PM (#2868 - in reply to #2867)

Uber User

How about adding some of Pohl's older short story collections, such as "The Man Who Ate the World", "The Case Against Tomorrow" and "Tomorrow Times Seven"?
Administrator
Posted 2012-01-06 2:07 PM (#2869 - in reply to #2868)

Admin

Emil - 2012-01-06 1:47 PM How about adding some of Pohl's older short story collections, such as "The Man Who Ate the World", "The Case Against Tomorrow" and "Tomorrow Times Seven"?

It happens that now is a great time to add those books.  Pohl is a Grand Master and we're about to launch our Grand Master Reading Challenge.  I'll add them to my list.

Emil
Posted 2012-01-07 5:02 AM (#2874 - in reply to #2869)

Uber User

Aha, seeing you'll be doing that, how about L. Sprague de Camp's "Viagens Interplanetarias" series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viagens_Interplanetarias

I'm flooding my Galaxy Tablet Kindle Android App with e-books for the challenge!
Administrator
Posted 2012-01-08 6:41 PM (#2881 - in reply to #2874)

Admin

Here ya go:

Frederik Pohl

L. Sprague de Camp

iftyzaidi
Posted 2012-01-19 3:48 AM (#2919 - in reply to #1750)

Hello,
Any chance of adding David Pringle's list of 100 Best Modern Fantasy Novels to the database and book lists?
http://www.librarything.com/bookaward/David+Pringle%27s+Mod...
Administrator
Posted 2012-01-19 7:56 AM (#2920 - in reply to #2919)

Admin

iftyzaidi - 2012-01-19 3:48 AM Hello, Any chance of adding David Pringle's list of 100 Best Modern Fantasy Novels to the database and book lists?

That is the most often requested list right now.  We're a little over halfway through it now but it got bumped a bit because of the GMRC.  We'll get back on it shortly.  I'll post updates in the Adding lists and series thread as we go along.

iftyzaidi
Posted 2012-01-20 12:01 AM (#2921 - in reply to #2920)

Ah, thanks! Sorry for posting my request here - I'm new to the site (and a wonderful site it is too, may I add). I'll just head over to the Adding lists thread then...
justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-01-20 11:11 PM (#2927 - in reply to #1750)

Uber User

While you're on the C. J. Cherryh thing her Morgaine cycle is a big omission.
Gate of Ivrel
Well of Shiuan
Fires of Azeroth
Then there's her Ealdwood novels The Dreamstone and The Tree of Swords and Jewels
nate1234
Posted 2012-01-20 11:15 PM (#2928 - in reply to #1750)

i believe exile's gate is part of the morgaine series, but not in the omnibus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile%27s_Gate
Administrator
Posted 2012-01-21 9:19 AM (#2929 - in reply to #2921)

Admin

@iftyzaidi:  I'm glad you're finding WWEnd to your liking!  No problem on your post I just wanted to make sure you didn't miss the discussion in the other thread.  You guys have been giving us lots of great list ideas over there.

@justifiedsinner and nate1234:  That's a lot of C. J. Cherryh!  I'll try to get some of these added this weekend but as I mentioned in another thread I'll be giving preference to Grand Master books for now so you guys in the GMRC will have those books to tag.  Don't let that stop you from requesting more books though.  I'll drag Jonathan into the mix again so we can get these up faster.

iftyzaidi
Posted 2012-01-27 2:13 AM (#2951 - in reply to #2929)

I just finished reading Linda Nagata's 'Vast' a couple of days ago and was really blown away by how good it was. Its definitely a book that deserves a wider readership. In fact Alastair Reynolds cites it as a major influence on his work:
http://approachingpavonis.blogspot.com/2011/06/vast.html

Now Vast shows up in the SF Mistressworks list (again I was surprised that it wasn't nominated for more awards), but I also discovered that its the fourth book in a series (The Nanotech Succession), which are probably worth adding to the database:

1. Tech-Heaven
2. The Bohr Maker
3. Deception Well
4. Vast
http://www.librarything.com/series/The+Nanotech+Succession
Administrator
Posted 2012-01-27 8:18 AM (#2954 - in reply to #2951)

Admin

@iftyzaidi:  I was not aware Vast was part of a series.  I can't abide an incomplete series!  These are on the list for sure.  I might have to give these a go; I'm a huge fan of Reynolds.  Thanks for the info.

valashain
Posted 2012-02-11 1:30 PM (#3015 - in reply to #1750)

Uber User

I've already gotten my Arthur C. Clarke in for the Grandmaster reading challenge but a couple you may want to add are The Songs of DIstant Earth and The Last Theorem (by Clarke and fellow grandmaster Pohl).
kya
Posted 2012-02-18 5:55 AM (#3046 - in reply to #1750)

New User

Hello to everyone, I'm a new user of this beautiful website.
I would like to make a suggestion but I don't know if this is the right thread: I'm a great fan of historical fantasy and i think that also authors like Bernard Cornwell and Edward Rutherfurd could be included in this site.
Thank you for the attenction and many compliments for your fantastic work!
justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-02-18 11:20 AM (#3047 - in reply to #3046)

Uber User

I don't think either of those authors really qualifies. To my mind they are authors of historic fiction rather than fantasy. To illustrate the difference take Cornwell and fantasy author Naomi Novik:

Cornwell: The influence of a British rifleman (Sharpe) on the Napoleonic Wars.
Novik: The influence of Dragons on the Napoleonic Wars.

Edited by justifiedsinner 2012-02-18 11:34 AM
kya
Posted 2012-02-19 7:41 AM (#3048 - in reply to #1750)

New User

I agree that not all their works can be included in this site, but for example in the The Warlord Chronicles we can find magic and sorcery and characters such as Merlin, king Arthur etc ; in Azincourt the intervention of saints.

Edited by kya 2012-02-19 7:45 AM
valashain
Posted 2012-02-19 7:49 AM (#3049 - in reply to #3048)

Uber User

It might be a bit outside the scope of the site as it is but given the overlap between fantasy, alternative history and historical novels, it might be a logical expansion for WWEnd to include historical novels though. I have read Rutherfurd for instance and enjoyed his books a lot.
nate1234
Posted 2012-02-19 8:27 AM (#3050 - in reply to #1750)

i look at guy gavriel kay, and just three books show a considerable range on how "fantasy" his faux history novels are:

lions of al-rassan: one character has psi abilities(?) but otherwise just el cid with a different name
last light of the sun: fey folk show up, but otherwise just alfred the great with a different name
tigana: if magic isn't real then there is no story

an historical novel like julian rathbone's _the last english king_ has a similar feel to a lot of medieval-esque fantasy novels, but an historical novel like richard powers's _the time of our singing_, which is set during the civil rights movement, has a very different feel, despite the facts that powers is already in the database and the story technically involves time travel. (powers's _galatea 2.2_ might be a valid addition to the database though). historical fiction set sufficiently far back in time has an "otherworldly" feeling similar to certain types of fantasy and science fiction, but might not a contemporary novel from a different culture as well? eg, ha jin's _waiting_ or paolo lin's _city of god_ might be "otherwordly" to an anglo-american reader with limited familiarity with chinese or brazilian culture.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-02-20 2:46 PM (#3055 - in reply to #1750)

Uber User

Then where would you draw the line? Among the best historical fiction works I have read are Penelope Fitzgerald's novels, Hilary Mantle's 'Wolf Hall' and Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy. None of these have any fantastical notes.
Administrator
Posted 2012-02-22 12:01 AM (#3060 - in reply to #3055)

Admin

Wow.  Somehow I lost track of this thread so let me catch up.

@valashain:  I would have layed money down that we had The Songs of Distant Earth in the DB already.  Shocking.  I'll add that one and The Last Theorem to my wicked long list.

@kya:  Welcome to WWEnd and thanks for the compliments!  I'm a big historical fiction fan too.  Loved Sharpe's Rifles which as justifiedsinner rightly points out would not be a fit here.  I've not read any other Cornwell works but from your description The Warlord Chronicles would certainly fit well enough.

@valashain:  It can often be a fine line deciding what to include and what not to include in our database.  Typically we'll go with whatever the major awards or lists classify as SF, F or H.  That removes the burden of making the tough decisions to some extent and allows us to push the boundaries of what is and what isn't genre fiction in a way that we're comfortable with.

The Guardian list has many great examples of books that push those boundaries.  I never expected to be adding Kafka, Umberto Eco, Herman Hesse or Virginia Woolf to this site!   We saw adding those books as a great way to expand into the more literary side of genre fiction.  It's a really exciting and very different list than what you typically see and if anyone cries foul we can say with a straight face: "Take it up with the Guardian, Pal..."

The historical fantasy, especially where dragons and obvious fantastical elements come into play, are a no brainer for inclusion (even when coming from somebody who sells in the gen fic section like Cornwell) but I'm always leary of shifting the focus too much away from the genre fiction core.  There is just so much still to cover within the comfortable bounds of SF/F/H that I can't really see us making that expansion to include straight up historical novels (sans fantastic elements) for some time to come.  Heck it took us years to get around to embracing Horror as a distinct genre outside of the "Dark Fantasy" label we attached to everything scary that came our way.

The gray area for me comes in most awkwardly when we add an author who writes in multiple genres.  nate1234 points out many great examples of authors that could be problematic.  Once an author makes it into our DB, through an award nomination or inclusion in a best books list typically, we like to expand on their bibliographies.  Eventually we end up posting something like Able One by Ben Bova.  It's got lasers and other high tech military equipment etc. but it seems clearly to be more in the "thriller fiction" camp than in the SF realm.  I'm OK with that one because Ben Bova is a total bad ass (he did an interview with us) but also because it's still pretty gray.  You could get away with tagging it as "near future" SF.

Where do you draw the line, indeed!  Well, I suppose since it's a fuzzy line at best we'll continue to veer this way and that over the line on a case by case basis while we try to stick to our core mission of giving you guys the best SF/F/H books to pick from.  As always, we'll be leaning on our members to help us decide what needs to be added.  I have a feeling you will let us know if we stray too far.

DrNefario
Posted 2012-02-22 7:45 AM (#3061 - in reply to #1750)

Uber User

I'm not quite sure why this thread has gone off topic and become about books missing from the site, but I've spotted another incomplete series:

John Barnes - Thousand Cultures series (that's what wikipedia calls it, anyway)
A Million Open Doors (already in the database)
Earth Made of Glass (already in the database)
The Merchants of Souls
The Armies of Memory

I notice because I just bought the third one yesterday.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-02-24 7:27 PM (#3063 - in reply to #1750)

Uber User

I don't think that is off topic. This is the overlooked books thread after all, not just ones missing from a series.
DrNefario
Posted 2012-02-25 4:11 AM (#3064 - in reply to #1750)

Uber User

It wasn't intended as a dig at your post. The original post was about books that didn't receive the recognition they deserved, but the last few pages been about books missing from the site. I don't mind that - I didn't really know where else to put my post - I just thought it was worth noting.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)