open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The price we paid was the price men have always paid for achieving paradise in this life--we went soft, we lost our edge." Frank Herbert - Dune
- (Added by: Administrator)

Books Featuring AI versus AI
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Wintermute
Posted 2010-03-25 6:36 PM (#1827)
Subject: Books Featuring AI versus AI

Is there a book out there where the story's protagonists / antagonists are AIs and the humans / aliens are minor characters?

I ask because I came across a summary for the 2008 P.K.Dick winner, Emmissaries of the Dead: "Two murders have occurred on One One One, an artificial ecosystem created by the universes dominant AIs..." I realized that I had never considered a world-verse where there are multiple, omnipotent AIs co-existing with each other. How would a population of AIs resolve conflicts?

It's difficult for me to imagine because I assume that a contest between omnipotent AIs would be unlike a human contest. It would be a wholly new experience. Maybe conflict resolution is an entirely different and fascinating experience between AIs. Now, I cannot imagine why it wouldn't be the typical human proces: identify problem, identify desired outcome, identify potential solutions, identify values which can or cannot be sacrificed, select solutions most likely to achieve desired outcome while least damaging critical values. But that's because I am an unimaginative human being who can only reference my actual experiences.

The AIs I am imagining would be a Wintermute from Neuromancer, a Jane from Speaker for the Dead, or a Skynet from Terminator. Not robot versus robot. I am thinking of vast resources, networked.

Has anyone come across such a book?

http://www.worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?ID=1205

Top of the page Bottom of the page
htaccess
Posted 2010-03-25 7:15 PM (#1828 - in reply to #1827)
Subject: Re: Books Featuring AI versus AI

Veteran

Excession by Ian M Banks.

Edited by htaccess 2010-03-25 7:16 PM
Deven Science
Posted 2010-04-02 9:10 PM (#1832 - in reply to #1827)
Subject: RE: Books Featuring AI versus AI

Uber User

Logos Run, by William C. Dietz, is a series of two or three books. They take place in an interesting future with man on multiple worlds. The series at first seems to be about the human characters, though in the second book it reveals that the humans are merely pawns in a war versus two ancient AIs.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)