open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The gods do not protect fools. Fools are protected by more capable fools." - Larry Niven (Ringworld)
- (Added by: Emil)

Our reads in December 2022
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2022-11-30 5:59 PM (#26062)
Subject: Our reads in December 2022

Elite Veteran

I have finished my Pick N Mix challenge,and am just reading for sheer fun this month,mostly rereads or light fluff. I still have to decide on reading plans for 2023. What with cleaning and decorating,cooking and general xmas preparation,I will start off with a small TBR.

Dusty's TBR for December

SF/Fantasy
Paul Cornell - Severed Streets
Nalini Singh - Archangel's Sun
Karen Chance - Lover's Knot
Shannon Messenger - Keeper of Lost Cities

from other genres
Joan Smith - A Brush with Death
Casey Hill - One Little Mistake
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2022-11-30 8:10 PM (#26066 - in reply to #26062)
Subject: Re: Our reads in December 2022

Extreme Veteran

I have too many books to read to finish my challenges. I have a lot of vacation, so there is a chance that I can. My list for December:

Kallocain - Karin Boye
Yesterday's Son - AC Crispin
The Triumph of Time - James Blish
Cemetery World - Clifford D. Simak
One More For the Road - Ray Bradbury
Return to Mars - Ben Bova
Titan - Ben Bova
The Calculating Stars - Mary Robinette Kowal
Leviathan Wakes - James SA Corey
Second Self - Una McCormack
Q-Zone - Greg Cox
Q-Strike -Greg Cox
Star Trek - Log One
Heir of Caladan - Brian Herbert, Kevin Anderson

Subject to change, as I don't think Heir of Caladan will be available to borrow from the library until January.

dustydigger
Posted 2022-12-01 5:53 AM (#26069 - in reply to #26066)

Elite Veteran

You seem to be deep diving into Ben Bova these days,daxxh! I have only read a few on your list. I enjoyed Simak's Cemetery World,but have to admit to being underwhelmed by Leviathan Wakes,and Calculating Stars. It seemed just rather ordinary,just OK reads,nothing special,certainly not IMO award winning stuff. But honestly,I have pretty much the same opinion about a lot of modern stuff,I'm a grumpy old woman who still prefers old time and vintage stuff,packed with great ideas and stunning concepts....and short....did I tell you I like SHORT books?. And I dont mind that the few women are not represented as kick butt females who out perform the men on every front.I'm a dinosaur,so sue me
daxxh
Posted 2022-12-01 9:05 AM (#26070 - in reply to #26069)

Extreme Veteran

When unpacking my books after my last move, I realized I had so many unread books, that I may never finish them all in my lifetime. I did the Solar System Challenge specifically to read all the Ben Bova Grand Tour books that have been sitting on my shelves. Same with the Star Trek books which I started buying in Junior High. I agree with you that a lot of the modern stuff that wins awards isn?t award worthy. I didn?t like enough of them that I quit trying to broaden my horizons by reading all the Hugo and Nebula nominees and now just read what sounds interesting to me. I live by a flea market with a permanent used bookstore in it that has a lot of old (50s and 60s) science fiction. I have been buying a lot of books from there, mostly Ace Doubles. Being a female in a male dominated industry, I have become immune to being treated like an inferior species. Sometimes I think my colleagues think of me as a grumpy old woman. I don?t make coffee since I don?t drink coffee and I only clean my lab bench and make everyone help clean community areas. A lot of those old books are fun adventures and I look forward to reading those Ace Doubles.
dustydigger
Posted 2022-12-15 2:28 PM (#26614 - in reply to #26070)

Elite Veteran

So far this month I have mainly binge read an old urban fantasy series,Guild Hunters by Nalini Singh,great fun. I also completed an Ace Double, Weapons Shops of Issher by Van Vogt,and Gateway to Elsewhere by Murray Leinster.
Ah,the nostalgia. When I got my adult library ticket,aged 13,our little SF section was full of Bradbury,Edgar Rice Burroughs, Ted Sturgeon and the like. I still remember the bewilderment and also fascination on reading the Null A books at that time. They blew me away,even if I didnt understand much of it. Sometimes reading Van Vogt the writing seems choppy and odd. I never could decide if it was intentional or just sloppy bad writing!. But it was fun rereading Weapon Shops,it too was a bit bit odd,but interesting. The other half of the double was a really bonkers Murray Leinster story about a young man who obtains a gold coin that helps him make decisions. He then goes through a portal into an Arabian Nights sort of world with djinns and houris. Just plain crazy but funny. Not too PC of course,but amusing and a nice light read to clear away the blues.
Next Ace Double will be World of Null A twinned with The Universe Makers.,but I still have to complete Rockets Through Space,The Severed Streets, and The Ant Men.so it may be left till next year
dustydigger
Posted 2022-12-15 5:27 PM (#26615 - in reply to #26070)

Elite Veteran

So far this month I have mainly binge read an old urban fantasy series,Guild Hunters by Nalini Singh,great fun. I also completed an Ace Double, Weapons Shops of Issher by Van Vogt,and Gateway to Elsewhere by Murray Leinster.
Ah,the nostalgia. When I got my adult library ticket,aged 13,our little SF section was full of Bradbury,Edgar Rice Burroughs, Ted Sturgeon and the like. I still remember the bewilderment and also fascination on reading the Null A books at that time. They blew me away,even if I didnt understand much of it. Sometimes reading Van Vogt the writing seems choppy and odd. I never could decide if it was intentional or just sloppy bad writing!. But it was fun rereading Weapon Shops,it too was a bit bit odd,but interesting. The other half of the double was a really bonkers Murray Leinster story about a young man who obtains a gold coin that helps him make decisions. He then goes through a portal into an Arabian Nights sort of world with djinns and houris. Just plain crazy but funny. Not too PC of course,but amusing and a nice light read to clear away the blues.
Next Ace Double will be World of Null A twinned with The Universe Makers.,but I still have to complete Rockets Through Space,The Severed Streets, and The Ant Men.so it may be left till next year
dustydigger
Posted 2022-12-26 1:55 PM (#26633 - in reply to #26615)

Elite Veteran

I enjoyed Eric North's The Ant Men,a Winston SF tale,and finished Rockets Through Space,not actually fiction though in the Winston series,a 1950s discussion of the future of space travel,often quite quaint,but infused with a really optomistic view of the future of space travel.
As my 100th title for my 100 book challenge I read Dicken's Christmas Carol,always a delight. That ends all my challenges for 2022,I amalmost finished making my TBR of 2023 books.
For now I am reading Leigh Brackett's The Big Jump,and making a determined effort at reading Chip Delany's's difficult,obscure,sexually graphic Dhalgren. I hope to make it my first completed read of 2023! 600/879 pages completed! The last two years I couldnt progress beyond 300 pages,but this time I am persevering,and am actually rather fascinated by it,while not understanding it in the least!.But for now I am enying some light urban fantasy,taking a break from heavy stuff
daxxh
Posted 2022-12-26 3:37 PM (#26634 - in reply to #26633)

Extreme Veteran

December reads:

ST Picard Second Self
STTNG Q-Strike
STTNG Q-Zone
The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh Vol.1
The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh Vol. 2
Currently reading To Reign in Hell (the third Khan book)

Lots of Star Trek this month.

Cat's Cradle - the more I think about this book, the more I like it.
The Triumph of Time - slow. Got better towards the end. The first three were better.
Mercury - good
Cemetery World - good

Also read The 43 Antarean Dynasties and On the Day You Spend Forever With Your Dog to finish the Short Story Challenge. I plan on reading more Resnik next year.

Also read Christmas at ESL1. I definitely need to read McCarthy's Rich Man's Sky.

Because I think I have not read enough classics, I read The Catcher in the Rye. Meh. I guess I see why it is considered a classic, but I didn't really like it.

Have three left to finish my challenges:
Kallocain
Titan
One More for the Road

My 2023 challenges have been entered. Looking forward to a good reading year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)