open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright
- (Added by: Administrator)

Hugo 2010 Awards
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

MT in Austin
Posted 2010-09-10 7:43 AM (#2167)
Subject: Hugo 2010 Awards

There was a tie for the Hugo this year (2010):
The City & The City by China Miville
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

I've read The Windup Girl and it was an amazing book. Haven't read the Mieville book yet.
I did, however read one of the other nominations, Boneshaker by Cherrie Priest. I enjoyed it much more than Windup Girl.
I know action packed books tend to get discounted when awards comes around but, for pure excitement and entertainment, Boneshaker was one of the best books I've read in a while.
It would be way cool if someone like Katsuhiro Otomo, Hayao Miyazaki or Mamoru Oshii optioned it for an animated film. I doubt a live action film of the book could be made with a manageable budget and at a profit.

If you haven't read it yet. Check Boneshaker out.
The audiobook is also really good with Wil Wheaton reading Zeke's chapters and Kate Reading doing Blair's.

I can't wait until Dreadnaught is released later this month.

Edited by MT in Austin 2010-09-10 7:44 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2010-09-28 1:12 PM (#2171 - in reply to #2167)
Subject: RE: Hugo 2010 Awards

Admin

MT.

Chris was very enthusiastic in his reaview of Boneshaker too in case anyone missed it.  I seem to be mired in older books these days.  I'm going to have to change my reading habits to make sure I get some modern books into the rotation.

By the way, I'll add Dreadnaught to the DB this week. Will we be seeing a review from you on that one?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)