open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The function of science fiction is not always to predict the future but sometimes to prevent it." - Frank Herbert
- (Added by: Administrator)

NPR Top 100
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

nate1234
Posted 2011-08-06 7:51 PM (#2551)
Subject: NPR Top 100

I didn't see a thread on it, but voting for NPR's Top-100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Titles is underway:
http://www.npr.org/2011/08/02/138894873/vote-for-top-100-science-fi...

Final list comes out "mid-August."
Top of the page Bottom of the page
htaccess
Posted 2011-08-06 8:03 PM (#2552 - in reply to #2551)
Subject: Re: NPR Top 100

Veteran

Great!

However I'm not a fan of how they have included novels, trilogies and series. They may as well have added short stories and graphic novels to make it truly meaningless.

Edited by htaccess 2011-08-06 8:05 PM
nate1234
Posted 2011-08-06 8:05 PM (#2553 - in reply to #2551)

they included gaiman's sandman and moore's watchmen. which is, yes, obnoxious.
nate1234
Posted 2011-08-06 8:06 PM (#2554 - in reply to #2551)

my votes:

Armor, by John Steakley
The Book Of The New Sun, by Gene Wolfe
The Dune Chronicles, by Frank Herbert
A Fire Upon The Deep, by Vernor Vinge

The Hyperion Cantos, by Dan Simmons
Lord Of Light, by Roger Zelazny

The Mars Trilogy, by Kim Stanley Robinson

Neuromancer, by William Gibson

Perdido Street Station, by China Mieville

A Song Of Ice And Fire Series, by George R. R. Martin

result on August 11
htaccess
Posted 2011-08-06 8:06 PM (#2555 - in reply to #2551)

Veteran

Oh wait ... they did.

"Watchmen, by Alan Moore"

nate1234
Posted 2011-08-06 8:10 PM (#2556 - in reply to #2551)

and sandman.
htaccess
Posted 2011-08-06 8:24 PM (#2558 - in reply to #2551)

Veteran

There's plenty of single books in the list that are part of a series, whats the rationale!? The whole thing has the feel of a list thrown together from peoples comments with little thought or editorial oversite of any type. I'm pretty disappointed / annoyed with it to be honest.

That said I managed to swallow my pride and vote for:

Stations Of The Tide, by Michael Swanwick
Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson
Perdido Street Station, by China Mieville
The Man In The High Castle, by Philip K. Dick
Lord Of Light, by Roger Zelazny
The Difference Engine, by William Gibson & Bruce Sterling
The Diamond Age, by Neil Stephenson
Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clarke
The Anubis Gates, by Tim Powers
Altered Carbon, by Richard K. Morgan

Couldn't bring myself to vote for any series (bah humbug).
nate1234
Posted 2011-08-06 8:28 PM (#2559 - in reply to #2558)

at least there's no harry potter...
Administrator
Posted 2011-08-06 10:10 PM (#2561 - in reply to #2559)

Admin

I have to say I'm really disappointed in this list.  There is so much confusion over the method and qualifications.  It seems really disorganized.  There are a few too many new books that have not stood the test of time for my tastes and they've included trilogies that are not even complete yet!  There are too many books on this list that, while entertaining reads, just don't strike me as "best of" material.

I was really looking forward to this list too.

htaccess
Posted 2011-08-06 11:17 PM (#2562 - in reply to #2561)

Veteran

Administrator - 2011-08-07 3:10 PM

I have to say I'm really disappointed in this list.

I was really looking forward to this list too.

Likewise, very amateur, it does seem popular though ... It will also be a pain to add to wwend if some of the series "win". All in all a disappointment. Surprised John Clute is willing to be associated with such a shoddy effort.

Also it quite funny to laugh at oneself in this situation. "Getting upset about an online poll of favorite SF books? You need to get out more!"
Administrator
Posted 2011-08-06 11:46 PM (#2565 - in reply to #2562)

Admin

htaccess - 2011-08-06 11:17 PM Likewise, very amateur, it does seem popular though ... It will also be a pain to add to wwend if some of the series "win". All in all a disappointment. Surprised John Clute is willing to be associated with such a shoddy effort. Also it quite funny to laugh at oneself in this situation. "Getting upset about an online poll of favorite SF books? You need to get out more!"

Well, I'm not suicidal over it or anything but I'm certain I do need to get out more!  Perhaps the final list will be decent.

nate1234
Posted 2011-08-12 1:15 AM (#2584 - in reply to #2551)

list is up.
http://www.npr.org/2011/08/09/139248590/top-100-science-fiction-fan...

i get the sense a lot of people who voted don't actually read much sf/f. neverwhere placed above the vorkosigan saga? perdidio st station was #98?

ugh.
Emil
Posted 2011-08-12 5:37 AM (#2585 - in reply to #2584)

Uber User

It's not a list I will take seriously. All in all just a mishmash popularity contest. Disappointing that Clute and Wolfe (the critic) associated with this disorganized and shoddy approach. Naming it "Top 100 Science Fiction/Fantasy Novels of All Time" is quite arrogant. Sadly it says a lot about fandom. Consider this: no Butler, Delaney or Alfred Bester. Alfred Bester, friends! Dave is spot on: "There are too many books on this list that, while entertaining reads, just don't strike me as "best of" material." If they proceeded to name the list something like "Top 100 Popular SF/F Novels: Readers choice" I might have been more forgiving. For now, I'll just be very judgmental and call it "dispicable" (despite the inclusion of a good few notables and deserved classics).
Administrator
Posted 2011-08-12 8:27 AM (#2586 - in reply to #2585)

Admin

I think Emil has it right.  The title is what's putting me off an otherwise, as it turned out, decent "fan favorite" list of books.  There are a lot of quality books in the list to be sure but the omissions are hard to ignore for a "best of" list.  I can't get behind any list that leaves out Alfred Bester and so many others but includes Shanarra, Xanth and The Thrawn Trilogy.  This list includes 4 Neil Gaiman books but only one by Philip K. Dick?  Then there is the weirdness of including series too.  It's just too un-balanced for my tastes.  On the positive side, I think we have 90% of these books in our database already so it will be an easy addition.

I much prefer the Guardian list which I think is a much better barrometer of the "best" the genre has to offer.

jynnantonnyx
Posted 2011-08-18 1:44 PM (#2590 - in reply to #2551)

Uber User

The NPR Top 100 list has been added to WWEnd:

http://www.worldswithoutend.com/lists_npr_sff.asp

Where a series is involved, we listed the first book in the series.
Administrator
Posted 2011-08-28 12:24 PM (#2607 - in reply to #2590)

Admin

The NPR list was a hot topic at our table at Worldcon.  Most people we talked to had the same issues as discussed above.
Administrator
Posted 2011-09-29 1:03 PM (#2685 - in reply to #2607)

Admin

In case you missed it, I just posted this awesome flowcart on the blog:

flow chart

Darling
Posted 2011-10-03 10:05 PM (#2688 - in reply to #2685)

Between this list and discovering WWE, I've begun seriously thinking about what makes a classic SF novel. For the most part, it's difficult because not many books are old enough to survive three generations ... but this list is just what you would expect ... populist, and that's ok for what it is. At least some really good stuff is still getting attention in the bigger arena. The best (according to the kind of lists on this site) and oldest stuff in the NPR list is probably what should be getting our attention, because it is surviving.
Administrator
Posted 2011-10-03 10:39 PM (#2689 - in reply to #2688)

Admin

Darling - 2011-10-03 10:05 PM Between this list and discovering WWE, I've begun seriously thinking about what makes a classic SF novel. For the most part, it's difficult because not many books are old enough to survive three generations ... but this list is just what you would expect ... populist, and that's ok for what it is. At least some really good stuff is still getting attention in the bigger arena. The best (according to the kind of lists on this site) and oldest stuff in the NPR list is probably what should be getting our attention, because it is surviving.

First, let me say, I'm glad you discovered WWEnd and the lists!  We're having a great time introducing these lists because they give us lots to talk about.  In fact we just added our first Horror list: Horror Writers Association Reading List.

As you've already pointed out, these lists can be difficult to make if you're setting out to define the "best" in an entire genre.  Of course, that will never stop anybody from trying which is what makes these so fun.  They are a great way to express your opinions about the genre we all love whether you are declaring your personal favorite from our list of lists or making your own list.  (By the way, custom member lists are a feature we're working on...

I tend to agree with you assessment that a novel should stand the test of time, though perhaps not necessarily generations, before it should be counted in a best list.  The NPR list is too heavily a list of the new for my tastes even though I do agree with a good many selections in it.  I prefer something with a little more weight to it that's been more rigorously conceived and executed but that's just me.  I'm sure there are many fans of this list though.  I'd like to sit down and have a beer with those folks so I can tell them where they went wrong

Of course, in the end it's all about finding great books to read so the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Darling
Posted 2011-10-14 11:13 AM (#2720 - in reply to #2551)

The reason I say "three generations" is because "classic" is such a loaded term. It implies longevity and weight. A book has to outlive the criticism of the generation following its publication and reach into the next one to survive. That's not to say that if it hasn't lasted that long in the general attention, that it isn't an excellent book. It might be deserving of more attention than it gets. However, I remember taking a Victorian Lit class that totally neglected Dickens ... really? Sure Ruskin is important, but no Dickens at all? I think influence that lasts for generations in the popular view is quite important. In that light, I'm always glad to see H. G. Wells, Verne, Shelley. I'm glad for more personal reasons to see 1984, Brave New World, and RUR. Those books are in the process of surviving as well as the others that already have. I loved Babel-17, and I see that Easton Press includes it in their classic SF collection, that's great. I even recommend it, but I'm not sure it has the transcendent appeal these others have.
htaccess
Posted 2011-10-19 6:32 PM (#2727 - in reply to #2551)

Veteran

http://news.slashdot.org/story/11/10/19/2022242/flowchart-guides-re...
ThomasBa2
Posted 2011-10-25 8:24 PM (#2760 - in reply to #2551)

I thought the NPR list was a freakin' abomination. What it contained was either false, trite or just plain drekty. All the books that make SF and Fanatasy appear to be the province of geeks, nerds and simpletons rather than a complex and challenging literature.

Edited by ThomasBa2 2011-10-25 8:25 PM
Administrator
Posted 2011-10-25 8:59 PM (#2762 - in reply to #2760)

Admin

ThomasBa2 - 2011-10-25 8:24 PM I thought the NPR list was a freakin' abomination. What it contained was either false, trite or just plain drekty. All the books that make SF and Fanatasy appear to be the province of geeks, nerds and simpletons rather than a complex and challenging literature.

Yeah, it's not the most cogent list on the site, that's for sure.  The NPR list is the geeky little brother to the Guardian list.

I found it to be rather disappointing overall even though it does contain some great books.  It seems to be quite popular and it certainly has stirred many a conversation.

ThomasBa2
Posted 2011-10-25 9:53 PM (#2763 - in reply to #2551)

In all honesty i think the best list is the Pringle Top 100 List. In fact I am currently on a mission to acquire all 100 books on the list. Of course I am also reading them. The other list I like is The Classics of Science Fiction list that is posted here at WWE, and The SF Mistressworks list. The Guardian List is good, but I really don't consider many of the books on it to be SF really.

Edited by ThomasBa2 2011-10-25 9:54 PM
Darling
Posted 2011-11-02 7:30 AM (#2768 - in reply to #2551)

I too like the lists ThomasBa mentions, they are the ones I go to for a kind of last word. What I think the NPR list accomplished was revealing just how much SF has affected popular culture. I was reflecting on CSI the other night, thinking just how much SF is involved in that and other shows like it. There is no way anyone could do what these characters do without tech that is far superior to what we actually have. For example, have you seen their "enhance" features on computer images and video ... just not possible, at least not in a non-SF way of thinking. So, without admitting it up front, crime drama is resorting to SF devices to make their stories work and nobody thinks about it at all. It's a little like finding Outlander in NPR's list. No, not SF, but it wouldn't work without SF tropes and they go mostly unacknowledged. That's ok, it means sooner or later the origins of these tropes will gain wider appreciation.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)