open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - Anonymous
- (Added by: kayphere)

NPR Top 100
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2012-05-29 1:49 PM (#3258 - in reply to #2551)
Subject: Re: NPR Top 100

Elite Veteran

I love the way no one EVER approves of official lists! lol.As an abysmally out of touch and ignorant beginner,I can see why you disapprove of the NPR,too populist as someone put it,but for general readers,not up on the classics,just wanting a light fun read for the most part,it isnt all that bad.Surely odd mixing series with singletons,but I imagine all those Miles Vorkosigan fans would have cluttered up the list,filling in far too many slots.
I am just so happy to have found this site,with all these lists,which can balance each other out,or spotlight some quirky or forgotten choices.As a beginner,looking to fill in the gaps in my ignorance,I must say the Locus Top 50 is very appealing,a manageable list,lots of famous,but reasonably accessible classics.
I thought the Guardian list was a bit peculiar,odd to see the Little Prince,Gothic fiction,Harry Potter,The Road,Beloved,Alice in Wonderland,Cloud Atlas and the Chronicles of Narnia on the same list.And at least 20 books I had never even heard of.
Definitely will try to work my way through the Locus list first,and maybe in 10 years time I will be be ready for the Guardian list! :0)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2012-05-29 9:34 PM (#3262 - in reply to #3258)

Admin

There is a lot of variety in these list which to me makes them more interesting.  I like looking for the books that feature on a bunch of lists and awards.  That's what the red and black numbers on the book covers are for by the way.  Somthing that scores high across such diverse lists and awards has got to have something going for it.  Besides, if I read something like Gibson's Neuromancer (5 award noms and 7 list inclusions!) it'll move all those bars on my stats page at once!  That's efficiency, folks!

You know, come to think of it that would not be a bad strategy for someone new to SF/F/H.  Read only the books with 5 or more noms or list inclusions which is pretty much the WWEnd Top Nominated Books list is all about.  That's a pretty schweet list if you ask me.

dustydigger
Posted 2012-05-31 2:50 AM (#3267 - in reply to #3262)

Elite Veteran

Good idea Dave! I am having a great time searching the lists,looking up particular books etc.I am going to have an awesome list in the end! lol.But very long.I really like the whole reading stats section,even though it badly shows up my ignorance Another resource,really fun,is the blog collection.if I ever find time to read them
Administrator
Posted 2012-06-06 12:40 AM (#3320 - in reply to #3267)

Admin

dustydigger - 2012-05-31 2:50 AM Another resource,really fun,is the blog collection.if I ever find time to read them

There is just so much to read these days!  I've got a good 30 blogs in my RSS feed dripping me SF/F all day long.  I suggest you pick a few that look promising and start your feed.  Much more efficient than bookmarks.

dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-06 4:47 AM (#3327 - in reply to #2551)

Elite Veteran

Er...RSS?..Feed?.Must point out here that I never touched a computer in my life till I was 60,I am pretty clueless about anything but the most basic operations,wouldnt know where to begin in making a blog,and I dont have the time anyway for anything more than a couple of posts here,as I spend most of my computer time on Shelfari.Slow but sure,maybe later! For now I have various reading challenges,I have about 100 books-crime,YA,urban fantasy,junior classics,general fiction,fantasy,historical ,still to read this year,so I have enough on my plate without blogs lol
Emil
Posted 2012-06-06 5:15 AM (#3330 - in reply to #2551)

Uber User

I googled Shelfari. I now have a new obsession. Thanks @Dusty, I think.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-06 7:29 AM (#3332 - in reply to #2551)

Elite Veteran

Oh no,Emil,its like a black hole,you are sucked in,and never leave lol.But if by chance you do fall in,if you want to see a REALLY formidable SF challenge,have a look at the group<< Science fiction Reading Challenge>>.presided over by PhoenixFalls.Its for the really knowledgable.Maybe after I cut my teeth on this Grand Masters challenge,and read the 100 outstanding books this year,I may dare to dip a toe.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-06-06 9:37 PM (#3336 - in reply to #2551)

Uber User

DD have you tried LibraryThing?
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-09 1:01 AM (#3351 - in reply to #2551)

Elite Veteran

Well,I am a member,but I ve listed on Shelfari no less than 2863 books read (obsessive list maker? Yep,thats me.) Library Thing wanted me to pay if I listed more han 200 books,so I departed rapidly! ;0).I am in Goodreads,but only for the lists etc and to chat with a particular friend who hangs out there,but I just find the whole layout of Shelfari to be brilliant for those who like to chat about books.All the other sites could learn a lot from them in making their discussion site reader friendly .
justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-06-09 10:55 PM (#3360 - in reply to #2551)

Uber User

I don't know if it's changed but it was $25 dollars when I joined and I have nearly 5,996 listed. It is my main library catalogue and enables me to classify them every whichway. The forum threads are good, particularly for SF. Ian Sales who compiled the SF Mistressworks list is a regular there.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-10 9:05 AM (#3366 - in reply to #2551)

Elite Veteran

Hmm,might check back at the SF discussions,didnt find Goodreads very interesting really. Thanks for the info! Not that I can spare the time to look at another site,that is,now I've added this site.Do you think Dave ever has time to sleep,with all the great work he does on this site? Excellent.
Administrator
Posted 2012-06-10 11:42 AM (#3369 - in reply to #3366)

Admin

dustydigger - 2012-06-10 9:05 AM Do you think Dave ever has time to sleep,with all the great work he does on this site? Excellent.

Change "sleep" to "read" and the answer is not much time at all as evidenced by my GMRC stats   I do also give up some sleep time to do WWEnd stuff but it's certainly worth it.  As long as it stays fun, anyway!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)