open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke
- (Added by: Administrator)

50 years of Stranger in a Strange Land
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Darling
Posted 2011-10-17 1:26 PM (#2724)
Subject: 50 years of Stranger in a Strange Land

Oddly enough, I turned 50 this year and so did this incredibly influential book. I was torn whether to mention this now, or to bring it up next year on the anniversary of Stranger's Hugo. The publication anniversary seems to be going largely unmarked, even though it is vastly appreciated and is in most of the "Classics" lists on this site.

I have to say, I am not a huge fan of this book. It ridicules some values I hold very dear. However, I acknowledge the book's extremely well formed artistry. I read it for the first time stationed aboard the USS Jouett in 1981 when I was still uncovering all of Heinlein's works. This one had gotten by far the most attention of any and was more generally available. It was quite a formative time in my life. I was a young man, learning the complexities of independent thinking and Stranger challenged me greatly. It solidified my appreciation for SF in general and Heinlein in particular. He went from being an author I appreciated to one I pursued. From here, I sought out all the Lazarus Long stories and read them right up to the publication of Number of the Beast.

RAH remains one of my favorite authors, whom I re-read from time to time for the sheer enjoyment of his story-telling. I re-read Stranger 2 years ago in its uncut form. Since nearly 20 years had lapsed since my first reading, I can't say I picked up on the differences. But I enjoyed it again. Got angry with it again, disagreed with Heinlein again, and was generally reminded of why I like this author.

Happy Birthday, Stranger.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2011-10-17 8:54 PM (#2725 - in reply to #2724)
Subject: RE: 50 years of Stranger in a Strange Land

Admin

An important milestone for Stranger and for you, Darling!  I'm right behind you myself.  I've got 7 more trips around the sun to reach my 50.

You know, Stranger has been on my reading list for years but I've never gotten around to reading it.  I think I've put it off so long I'm just afraid I'll be disappointed when I finally do get to it.  The 50th anniversary is a good reason to get off the fence and pick it up finally.  That and whargoul gives me no end of grief for not having read it

Thanks for pointing out the anniversary.  I've just added 16 alternate covers to the Stranger page as a little celebration.  It's been published many times over the years!  If any of you guys has another cover that I've missed send it to me and I'll add it to the site.

Dave

Darling
Posted 2011-10-17 9:38 PM (#2726 - in reply to #2725)
Subject: Re: 50 years of Stranger in a Strange Land

was not aware of most of those covers. The one that is clearly in leather, is that the Virginia Edition or, perhaps, Easton Press? Oh, and once you've read it, you'll understand hippies and Auguste Rodin a lot better
NateT
Posted 2012-04-13 1:48 PM (#3172 - in reply to #2724)
Subject: RE: 50 years of Stranger in a Strange Land

Darling - 2011-10-17 1:26 PM

I have to say, I am not a huge fan of this book. It ridicules some values I hold very dear. However, I acknowledge the book's extremely well formed artistry.

I agree. I really liked Stranger not because I agree with it (I disagree with most of it) but because of its immense banquet of food for thought.

It's also immensely fun to be within audible range of a college girl who has to read it for some humanities class :-)
JacFlasche
Posted 2012-05-16 9:10 AM (#3216 - in reply to #2724)

I read it for the first and only time when I was about thirteen. That would be in the mid sixties. That was perfect timing to read this story. This book changed my attitude about may things. I didn't disagree with any of it that I can remember, but then perhaps I grok because I was a teen in the sixties. Which was the very best time to be a teen. So far.
Deven Science
Posted 2012-06-05 2:13 PM (#3311 - in reply to #2724)

Uber User

I loved this book. Loved it. I cannot think of anything I particularly disagreed with, or with anything that shocked my moral code.

I will say that the religious turn in the last act is something that I never fully got onboard with, but as to the rest, I loved the outsider's view of our world. It correctly points out some absurdities.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)