open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Don't you know that this is a fairy tale, and all fun and pretence; and that you are not to believe one word of it, even it it is true?--Charles Kingsley (The Water-Babies)
- (Added by: lisagarrity)

2011 Clarke Awards
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-03-28 2:01 PM (#3144)
Subject: 2011 Clarke Awards

Uber User

Does anyone know how Tim Powers Declare was on the 2011 Clarke shortlist when it was first published in 2001?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2012-03-28 2:19 PM (#3146 - in reply to #3144)
Subject: RE: 2011 Clarke Awards

Admin

justifiedsinner - 2012-03-28 2:01 PM Does anyone know how Tim Powers Declare was on the 2011 Clarke shortlist when it was first published in 2001?

This question was raised in the blog about The Waters Rising getting a nomination this year when it was published in the US 2 years ago.  Here's what I said there:

The Clarke uses the UK publication year for the award which is why The Waters Rising got the nom this year. I updated the publication date on the novel page to show the 2011 Gollancz pub date. Just last year Tim Powers' book D eclare got a Clarke nomination when Corvus put it out in the UK even though it was originally published in the US in 2001 and won the WFA and was nominated for the Nebula and Locus that same year!

I always thought that must have been a nice surprise for Mr. Powers!

Here's something funny:  You'll note I typed "D eclare" and not "Declare".  It turns out that "declare" is a reserved word in SQL code.  Whenever we try to use it in the search or in the blog comments our servers think its a SQL injection attack!  They freak out and redirect to a maintenance screen.  You can't search WWEnd for Declare.  You have to search for Tim Powers instead to find it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)