open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Just the knowledge that a good book is waiting at the end of a long day invariably makes the day happier. -- Martha Gullik
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Sticky Welcome to the Group
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2012-12-31 12:29 PM (#4462 - in reply to #4461)
Subject: RE: Welcome to the Group

Admin

Welcome aboard, Jack!  Happy to have you here and it's great to see you signed up for the WoGF.  It's going to be a great year for genre fiction and there will certainly be lots to talk about 'round here so don't be shy!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bazhsw
Posted 2013-01-31 1:46 PM (#4654 - in reply to #3604)
Subject: Re: Welcome to the Group

Regular

Hi there - great site!

I'm a bit of a newbie to SF really. It's always interested me and I read bits and pieces in my teens then kind of moved on. I guess I read a lot of non-fiction and fiction across pretty much every genre. The reading group I'n in rarely covers SF so about a year ago I made a committment to read more SFand I devoured (and loved) Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. I discovered this site basically looking for somewhere to start with modern SF as I really don't know that much about the genre aside from a few of the classics. I have to say it's a great site and I'll never be stuck for ideas in future.

Looking through the booktracker there are a couple of books I've read that I've given 5 stars and they are Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson and Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley which may (or may not!) say something about my tastes. Worryingly, there are books I think I've read but are not to sure or I remember reading the author but not the title -the ravages of time!

I've signed up for the WOGF challenge as I think it's a great way to widen my horizons - I'm not the most articulate with reviews so there may not be anything earth-shattering there.
Rhondak101
Posted 2013-01-31 2:30 PM (#4656 - in reply to #3604)

Uber User

"I've read that I've given 5 stars and they are Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson and Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley"

So you like LONG books?
bazhsw
Posted 2013-02-01 1:52 AM (#4659 - in reply to #3604)

Regular

I never really thought about it but both those are long reads - not the sort of thing you can knock out in a lazy afternoon! I'm also partial to (most of) the Titus Groan story so maybe I do like a longer read.
Administrator
Posted 2013-02-02 9:53 AM (#4664 - in reply to #4654)

Admin

bazhsw - 2013-01-31 1:46 PM Hi there - great site! I'm a bit of a newbie to SF really. It's always interested me and I read bits and pieces in my teens then kind of moved on. ... I've signed up for the WOGF challenge as I think it's a great way to widen my horizons - I'm not the most articulate with reviews so there may not be anything earth-shattering there.

Hello bazhsw, and welcome to WWEnd!  You've come to the right place to find new books to rekindle your interest in genre fiction.  We've got tons of awards and lists to help you get started not to mention over 1,200 reviews from our awesome members.  (Seriously, you guys are awesome.)

The WoGF is a great kick starter too and with only 12 books it's not a huge burden.  Don't worry too much about the review part.  Just put down some impressions of the book, what you liked and didn't like, as if you were talking about a movie with your friends over beers.  You can try for earth-shattering if you like but lots of folks like a simple review too.  Simetimes all you want to get from a review is a general feel for the book not an in-depth analysis.

Best of luck with the challenge and welcome aboard!

Brett72
Posted 2013-03-18 5:38 PM (#4853 - in reply to #3604)

New User

Hello, all! I found WWEnd while surfing the web looking for info on the top s/f books. The WoGF challenge intrigued me so I signed up. It's a great chance to read some authors that I've always been interested in, but never got around to checking out. Put up my first review, Elizabeth Moon's Hunting Party, just the other day. I enjoy looking though the list of other participants to see what's being picked.
Great site!
Administrator
Posted 2013-03-18 10:31 PM (#4854 - in reply to #4853)

Admin

Brett72 - 2013-03-18 5:38 PM Hello, all! I found WWEnd while surfing the web looking for info on the top s/f books. The WoGF challenge intrigued me so I signed up. It's a great chance to read some authors that I've always been interested in, but never got around to checking out. Put up my first review, Elizabeth Moon's Hunting Party, just the other day. I enjoy looking though the list of other participants to see what's being picked. Great site!

Hello Brett, welcome to WWEnd!  I'm glad to hear you found us looking for the top SF books - we have a bunch of 'em.  The WoGF is a great place to start and I like your first review too.  Sounds like you like our challenge display page.  I think it's one of the best features of the challenges we do.  Good luck with your challenge and let me know if you have any questions about WWEnd.  Oh, and tell your friends about us!  We're always looking to grow our community.

Grokdad
Posted 2013-05-28 1:38 PM (#5131 - in reply to #3604)

New User

Hi! whew! finally found the "introduce yourself" thread.
ok, about me: I'm 54 (yes, I know that's ancient to some) and as a kid used to ride my bike to the library, and check out the maximum (fourteen) and reverently place them in my bike basket to take home. After two weeks I'd repeat the process. I read every scifi anthology and book there was in our small town library. Then I started mysteries. Then fantasy. Then college came, and the realization bills don't pay themselves and I was a newspaper graphic artist for over 25 years. I always wanted to write, though, so now, long after most people have crashed their mid life crisis items (cars, wives or bank accts), I'm finally doing what I've always wanted: writing my own books. My first book, A Plague of Dreams, is getting pretty good reviews.
Book marketing is so ... meh... tho. So I'm working on volume two at the moment. I may never make a living at this, but I love writing stories *I* like to read.

I teethed on Theodore Sturgeon, Pohl, Asimov, Bradbury, Bester, Verne, and L'engle. I used my adult teeth to chomp Vonnegut, Vinge, Eddings, Tolkien, Herbert, Clarke, and Ellison. Now I'm using my dentures to gum up on R. R. Martin, Suzuki, J.V. Jones, Gaiman, A. K. Butler, Fallon, and many more.

I like humor, poems that rhyme, writing with a voice and not worrying about good or bad reviews.

I"m looking forward to hanging out here. I hope you'll enjoy having me!
Administrator
Posted 2013-05-28 11:57 PM (#5136 - in reply to #5131)

Admin

Grokdad - 2013-05-28 1:38 PM Hi! whew! finally found the "introduce yourself" thread. ... I"m looking forward to hanging out here. I hope you'll enjoy having me!

Grokdad, welcome to WWEnd!  So glad you found us and that you want to hang out.  We've got a great community here and we have a lot of fun.  I see you have not signed up for the Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge .  If you hurry you can be the 300th member to sign up!  I want to encourage you to snoop around the site.  There are lots of cool things hidden in the nooks and crannies.

I remember those library days like it was yesterday!  I always felt like I was getting away with something when I was pushing it to the max on checkouts.  I thought any minute they would turn me away for taking too many. And oh how I loved sliding a dozen or more books down the return shoot.  I always took my time and did each one separately to really get the most out of the experience - much to my mother's annoyance   I've got to take the kids to the library this week!

Good on ya for realizing your dream to write you own book and I must say I really like your art work on your site.  Your brushes with greatness are a lot of fun to see too!  Ash!

So what comes after "gumming" on Martin and Gaiman et al.?  Blending Buekes and Weeks and Scalzi and slurping them up with a straw?   Come to think of it that would be one weird, violent and entertaining concoction!

plasma
Posted 2013-05-31 5:46 PM (#5168 - in reply to #3604)

i just joined ''good reads'' also, here's my profile

i never read, but last year one of my friends got me to read a zombie trilogy which I liked, but then i got in to sci-fi, im really new to it, I like to read books that gives you new ideas and perspectives and that are good from start to end, ill read random books once a while to change it up, examples, i read a steven king book, viking trilogy books

i didn't really like starship troopers (dragging not important stuff, i didn't finish it)

thought enders game was a bit overrated (i understand that book was a new impact but it's kind of predictable and slow moving, it's also a big scale war, id rather read 1 on 1 or you get the idea, so you can get more attached to people)

big fan of clifford simak (constant action, new theories)

and now im venturing in to newauthors

feel free to recommend me stuf
Grokdad
Posted 2013-05-31 6:12 PM (#5170 - in reply to #5136)

New User

Administrator - 2013-05-29 12:57 AM

Good on ya for realizing your dream to write you own book and I must say I really like your art work on your site. Your brushes with greatness are a lot of fun to see too! Ash!

So what comes after "gumming" on Martin and Gaiman et al.? Blending Buekes and Weeks and Scalzi and slurping them up with a straw? Come to think of it that would be one weird, violent and entertaining concoction!

thanks for the welcome!
locy
Posted 2013-06-02 6:19 AM (#5177 - in reply to #3604)

New User

Hello everyone! My name is Alejandro, although you can call me by my nickname, "Locy". I'm writing from Madrid and the first thing I should say is that I'm glad to have found a place like this. A place to share things that we think while we are reading Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Jack Vance, George R. R. Martin ... I hope to learn much from you: from your recommendations and experience and your passion for reading science fiction books. On the other hand, perhaps one of my goals here is to read a book that exceeds the fascinating work of Arthur C. Clarke: "2001: A Space Odyssey". What do you think of this book? I am keen to know what is for you the greatest work of science fiction you've ever read. I will be happy to read them.

Thank you all. See you soon!
Administrator
Posted 2013-06-02 9:58 AM (#5183 - in reply to #5168)

Admin

plasma - 2013-05-31 5:46 PM i just joined ''good reads'' also, here's my profile i never read, but last year one of my friends got me to read a zombie trilogy which I liked, but then i got in to sci-fi, im really new to it, I like to read books that gives you new ideas and perspectives and that are good from start to end, ill read random books once a while to change it up, examples, i read a steven king book, viking trilogy books i didn't really like starship troopers (dragging not important stuff, i didn't finish it) thought enders game was a bit overrated (i understand that book was a new impact but it's kind of predictable and slow moving, it's also a big scale war, id rather read 1 on 1 or you get the idea, so you can get more attached to people) big fan of clifford simak (constant action, new theories) and now im venturing in to newauthors feel free to recommend me stuf

Hello plasma, and welcome to WWEnd!  Being new to genre fiction you have definitely come to the right place.  WWEnd is built to help people find great books to read and our members will be happy to help you with recommendations of their own too. As for new authors we have hundreds to choose from and we always encourage our members to try somebody new.  Also, do check out our Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge.  It has been a lot of fun so far and you're sure to find something great to read.

I'm a fan of Simak as well and I've had one of his books on my to read list for a long time.  I'll bet you can guess which one

Administrator
Posted 2013-06-02 11:29 AM (#5188 - in reply to #5177)

Admin

locy - 2013-06-02 6:19 AM Hello everyone! My name is Alejandro, although you can call me by my nickname, "Locy". I'm writing from Madrid and the first thing I should say is that I'm glad to have found a place like this. A place to share things that we think while we are reading Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Jack Vance, George R. R. Martin ... I hope to learn much from you: from your recommendations and experience and your passion for reading science fiction books. On the other hand, perhaps one of my goals here is to read a book that exceeds the fascinating work of Arthur C. Clarke: "2001: A Space Odyssey". What do you think of this book? I am keen to know what is for you the greatest work of science fiction you've ever read. I will be happy to read them. Thank you all. See you soon!

Hello Locy from Madrid!  We're glad you found us too.  You've listed some great authors in your post and I trust you'll find many more greats here.  WWEnd is a good place to share your love of genre fiction.  I think you can learn much from our members - we've got a smart and passionate bunch here - but I expect we can all learn something from you as well so please jump right in with both feet.  As an example, we just passed 1,700 reviews on the site - ALL member submitted!  How cool is that?  The WoGF Reaching Challenge accounts for over 300 of those which has been a really nice boost.  I always recommend that new members check it out.  It's one of our best community efforts and we hope it will open some eyes and have a lasting impact.

I have to admit I've never read 2001: A Space Odyssey so I can't comment on that except to say that it's got 4 stars from 120 member ratings - you can make it 121!  I loved the movie though!  On my favorites list you'll find a pretty eclectic mix of books (You can click my name at left to see my list.) but I'll mention a few here that always come to mind:

The Stars My Destination A Canticle for Leibowitz Dune A Deepness in the Sky Altered Carbon
Old Man's War The Sparrow The Dispossessed Darwin's Radio A Princess of Mars

These are in no particular order and I'll have to admit it's a pretty safe list over all but there it is. I think I need to update my favorites now that you got me thinking about it. Surely I'm missing something!

Anyway, thanks for joining our community. Perhaps you can help us find some more madrileños who love genre fiction?

locy
Posted 2013-06-02 12:57 PM (#5191 - in reply to #5188)

New User

Thank you very much for the warm welcome. I honestly do not expect a welcome as friendly as this. On the other hand, I think it's great that they have passed the barrier of 1700 reviews. Again, we find evidence that reading science fiction books is as rewarding or more to read other types of books.

Thank you for your kindness quoting those books (I understand how hard it is involves choosing a favorites list). About the contest, I think I'll start reading a book which you show me in your list: "The dispossesed", by Ursula Le Guin. It may be a good idea.

See you soon!

PS: I'm sure I can find "madrileos" science fiction lovers. Most often, I see more and more readers in my city (especially coinciding with the start of the broadcast of the television series "Game of Thrones".
Nymeria
Posted 2014-01-17 9:45 AM (#6134 - in reply to #3604)

Hello everyone!
I stumbled on WWE's site by happy chance, and since it looked like the perfect place where I can enjoy two of my favorite pastimes, reading speculative fiction and discussing books with like-minded people, I joined immediately. Now all I need is a 48-hour day and no need for sleep to dive into the huge amount of new, interesting titles I've found on the site...
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-17 12:11 PM (#6136 - in reply to #6134)

Admin

Nymeria - 2014-01-17 9:45 AM Hello everyone! I stumbled on WWE's site by happy chance, and since it looked like the perfect place where I can enjoy two of my favorite pastimes, reading speculative fiction and discussing books with like-minded people, I joined immediately. Now all I need is a 48-hour day and no need for sleep to dive into the huge amount of new, interesting titles I've found on the site...

Welcome to WWEnd, Nymeria!  You've found us at a very opportune time.  We've just launched our new Roll-Your-Own Reading Challenge and our members are coming up with some great themes for you to pick from.  There is much to see and discover on the site so you'll be able to fill your 48 hours easliy

I suggest you get familiar with our BookTrackr so you can customize the site to your reading history.  Once you tag the books you've read you can review your stats and see how you're doing with the awards and lists.  Don't miss our Jo Fletcher Fridays post today for your chance to win a freee book too.  That will get you started but we have tons of other cool features to help you scratch that spec fic itch!

Nymeria
Posted 2014-01-17 4:20 PM (#6137 - in reply to #6136)

Thank you for the welcome, Administrator!

I've seen the challenges, and already signed up for the Women of Genre Fiction one I had already several books lined up that would fit the challenge, so it was just a matter of diving in - sharing the progress with others will add to the fun, I'm sure.
As long as I don't get worried at the way my TBR list is growing just by browsing around the site, of course!

Oh, and can I bother you with a newbie question? I've tried to add some books for the WoGF challenge to my list in the challenge page, but so far I had no success. I found one of those books with the search engine, but when I try to tick the box next to the challenge's name to add the book, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-17 7:07 PM (#6138 - in reply to #6137)

Admin

You have to check "Add to My Reading List" first to activate the RYO checkboxes. 
Nymeria
Posted 2014-01-18 5:48 AM (#6145 - in reply to #6138)

Administrator - 2014-01-18 2:07 AM

You have to check "Add to My Reading List" first to activate the RYO checkboxes.

The devil is indeed in the details!!
Thank you! Now it works!
dustydigger
Posted 2014-01-18 4:09 PM (#6147 - in reply to #3604)

Elite Veteran

Hi Nymeria! Glad you found your way here,I never thought to invite you in the past.And yes,the TBR will grow even more than on our dear old shelfari.I already had my 12x12 there,and just popped in here for a peek,and ended up joining four challengesYou know me cant resist challenges and lists,and this site is a paradise for both! lol.Welcome to the site!
Nymeria
Posted 2014-01-19 4:04 AM (#6150 - in reply to #6147)

Thank you Dustydigger!

Resisting challenges is indeed difficult - but on second thoughts... why resist?
Reading is fun so... here's to challenges and more books! Always more books...
Wade
Posted 2014-05-09 3:31 PM (#7571 - in reply to #3604)

Hello,

My name is Wade Garret, I'm the author of Genesis: Book One of The Kingdom Come Series, published by Black Bed Sheet Books and I'm always interested in learninggetting to knowmore about fans of Science Fiction and Fantasy...that's why I'm here.
K.S. Crooks
Posted 2014-11-06 9:09 AM (#8838 - in reply to #3604)

New User

I have coached for twenty years in the sports of wrestling, football (soccer) and basketball and have been an educator for over ten years. I have trained in four different martial arts for over three decades, studied science and researched mythology from various cultures around the world. I always dreamed of a world that contains the properties of all three. I live in Toronto with my wife and three children and am an avid comic book collector.
I look forward to communicating with all of you.

Fun Facts
What's the meaning behind your handle?
My pen name

Who's your favorite author? Favorite books?
DC Comics especially Batman , C.S. Lewis Narnia series, Matthew Reillys Jack West Jr. series, Dan Browns Robert Langdon series, Lee Childs Jack Reacher series

What TV shows do you never miss?
Doctor Who, Gotham, C.S.I., Law and Order: SVU, Survivor, The 100, Unforgettable, Sports Centreto name a few.

What do you do when you aren't reading fantasy books?
Playing with my kids.

Chocolate or vanilla?
Chocolatethough Moose Tracks is the best.

Do you type with all fingers on the keyboard?
Most. I feel special when I use my pinky.

What is under your bed?
Nothing that will ever bother me again

If you could build a house anywhere, where would it be?
Hawaii or the Moon

What's your favorite food
Ribs

Do you have any children?

What do you want to be when you grow up?
Batman

If you had $1000 and had to spend it all frivolously on yourself, what would you buy?
Gear for my crime fighting outfit. Oh where can I get those wonderful toys!

What's your favourite color?
Royal blue

What book should we all read?
Stephen Hawkings: The Universe in a Nutshell
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-11-06 4:32 PM (#8839 - in reply to #3604)

Uber User

Welcome to WWE. Sometimes we are very chatty; other times we are not. We are in a non-chatty period at the moment. I think everyone is hunkered down to finish this year's reading challenges. Check out the Challenges. There will be more like this for the next year.
Rhonda
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)