open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: At that moment, I got the impression of vast stretches of time, and how hard it was to maintain environmental balance, how you must waste nothing if you expect to survive long enough to matter. -- Whitley Strieber (The Super Natural)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Can't find the book you want? Make your book requests here!
[Frozen]

Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : < ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 >
Now viewing page 50 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2016-02-18 8:29 AM (#12737 - in reply to #12718)
Subject: Re: Can't find the book you want? Make your book requests here!

Admin

illegible_scribble - 2016-02-17 6:19 PM

Most of the Novellas, Novelettes, and Short Stories which have been entered into the database thus far has fallen into at least one of the following categories (and a lot of it has fallen into two of them):

1) nominated for, or won, an Award 
2) available to read for free online
3) available to purchase in standalone form (rather than only as part of a magazine or anthology)

I've been holding off on "Citadel" (I love Aliette de Bodard's stories, too) because I was thinking that it would be an Asimov's or Nebula finalist and thus be made available to read for free. It didn't make the Asimovs and it doesn't look like a Nebula is going to happen, either, and it's still not available except by purchasing a back copy of Asimov's.

The Admin/site owner will probably want to weigh in here, but his direction to the Uber Users has been that the priority is for novels and not short fiction. Given that there are around 50 novels and 18 authors which still need to be entered to get the Prix Aurora added to the Awards database, at least 100 novels and related genre works from 2015 alone (and probably close to as many authors just for those books) which still need to be entered into the database (plus uncounted multitudes from previous years and a huge pile of stuff to get the Campbell Award for Best New Writer into the database), it's kind of hard to justify entering a lot of shorter fiction which doesn't fall into at least one of the above categories. Just entering the shorter fiction which has been nominated for the Hugos and the Nebulas is a gargantuan task which I've been chipping away at, but which is probably a couple of years from being finished.

Eventually, the site will probably be given functionality to handle shorter fiction by category, separate from novels, for reading lists and the various totals. But that hasn't happened yet, and probably won't for a while.

I apologize if this explanation is disappointing -- but I do understand the Admin's thinking that there is a danger in having the site try to go off in too many different directions at once and not finishing or doing any of those things well.

I'm keeping an eye on "Citadel", and if it becomes available to read online, or as a standalone novella for sale, I'll get it entered into the database tout suite

That is a very good summation of where we are right now.  Novels are our bread and butter and the focus of all our awards thus far.  Obviously we've been expanding into non-novel territory which we're doing in loose phases same as with the novels.  First the nominated stuff then we'll start adding some short awards and lists to flesh 'em out.  The free stuff, like the Tor.com shorts, is just a huge value add that we can't pass up. The stand alone requirement is just for convenience -- we don't want to list stuff that our members can't get hold of readily.

Like scribble says there are still many awards and lists to be taken care of as well.  She mentioned Aurora and Campbell and there are lots more first book and ya award categories in the Hugo and Nebula etc. to get to as well as some new lists like an African SF list we're working on. 

We'll keep on expanding our coverage though to include more and more shorts as time goes on and I'm about to invite a few long time WWEnders to become Uber Users so we'll have more hands on deck to work on all these projects and fulfill member requests.  We love that you all want specific books/stories to be included and we'll fill them as best we can but it is all volunteer work and we can't get them in as fast as they come sometimes especially with all the other projects going on.  We appreciate everyone being so patient and understanding.  We'll get there eventually!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
PopeStig
Posted 2016-02-18 10:55 AM (#12740 - in reply to #3662)

Thank you for very comprehensive answers on how you prioritize what books are added. It helped me understand how you think when adding books to the site and was very helpful. It gives me a couple of useful filters to use if I want to requests more books to be added in the future. Was this a "sticky post" somewhere I should have read before suggesting the stories to be added? The forums are somewhat terra incognita for me.

I am deeply worried about the number of awards you're adding as my to-read list is approaching critical mass and possibly sentience, but I can hardly wait to read my way through some of them.

valashain
Posted 2016-02-18 12:22 PM (#12741 - in reply to #12740)

Uber User

I couldn't help myself and added a story by Aliette de Bodard. It's the only one of the four I found at Clarkesworld that wasn't in yet

https://www.worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?id=17328
PopeStig
Posted 2016-02-18 1:59 PM (#12745 - in reply to #12741)

valashain - 2016-02-17 7:22 PM

I couldn't help myself and added a story by Aliette de Bodard. It's the only one of the four I found at Clarkesworld that wasn't in yet

https://www.worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?id=17328

Muchos gracias Read and bought through the little amazon link.
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-02-18 10:03 PM (#12752 - in reply to #3662)

We chatted with the author of "In Absence of Fear" (Celeste Chaney) a few months ago on the Legendarium. I'd love to leave a review on this site, I just need an uber to add it! It would work great in the Near-Future and Dystopia sub-genres.

Edited by TheLegendarium 2016-02-18 10:06 PM
gallyangel
Posted 2016-02-18 11:13 PM (#12753 - in reply to #12735)
Subject: RE: Can't find the book you want? Make your book requests here!

Uber User

Jalayn - 2016-02-18 5:07 AM

Could you please add the last translated entry in The Witcher series ?
The Sword of Destiny: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_Destiny

Thanks very much !

This one is in. If they ever translate more of the series, let us know and it'll get in.

gallyangel
Posted 2016-02-18 11:43 PM (#12754 - in reply to #3662)

Uber User

dcraig007 - 2016-02-18 5:08 PM

Hi! Could you please add "The White People and Other Weird Stories" by Arthur Machen and "Ancient Sorceries and Other Weird Stories" by Algernon Blackwood? Thanks!

The Blackwood is in. I think there is a difference between the original edition from the 20ies and the latest version.

With the Machen, I remember doing a lot of this stuff for the Cthulhu series we already have in the database.
The White People and other Stories is a variant title of The House of Souls, which is already in.

gallyangel
Posted 2016-02-19 12:04 AM (#12755 - in reply to #12752)

Uber User

TheLegendarium - 2016-02-18 8:03 PM

We chatted with the author of "In Absence of Fear" (Celeste Chaney) a few months ago on the Legendarium. I'd love to leave a review on this site, I just need an uber to add it! It would work great in the Near-Future and Dystopia sub-genres.

Trifecta. I had to add the publisher, the author and the novel.
The novel sounds nasty.
I wonder if she got into the issue of tumors surrounding the implants?

TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-02-19 12:31 AM (#12756 - in reply to #12755)

Trifecta. I had to add the publisher, the author and the novel.
The novel sounds nasty.
I wonder if she got into the issue of tumors surrounding the implants?

Not so much. This one was more concerned with political and moral philosophy than strict medical accuracy. Besides, it's the future. I hear those guys are smart.
pizzakarin
Posted 2016-02-20 3:19 PM (#12773 - in reply to #3662)

Veteran

Requesting "Master of Space and Time" by Rudy Rucker. I just finished reading it.
valashain
Posted 2016-02-20 3:27 PM (#12777 - in reply to #12773)

Uber User

pizzakarin - 2016-02-20 10:19 PM

Requesting "Master of Space and Time" by Rudy Rucker. I just finished reading it.

There you go.
JohnBem
Posted 2016-02-21 5:31 PM (#12786)
Subject: Book Add Request: Punk's Not Dead

Regular

Hello! I recently discovered Worlds Without End (via Tor dot com) and I'm enjoying the site quite a bit.
For my initial foray into WWE, I joined the Punk's Not Dead RYORC.

I'm finding it a bit tricky to search and navigate the forums; I can't locate the Punk's Not Dead thread and I'm not really sure where to go to submit a request for a book addition, so I'll do it here and hope some benevolent entity notices and grants my wish.

There's a book that's been in my collection for a few years now, but haven't read it yet, and it would fit perfectly with this reading challenge. I'd like the following book to be added to the site please:

Splatterpunks: Extreme Horror
Edited by Paul M Sammon
1990 St Martin's Press
ISBN 0-312-04581-6

Thank you!
Administrator
Posted 2016-02-21 8:33 PM (#12793 - in reply to #12786)
Subject: RE: Book Add Request: Punk's Not Dead

Admin

JohnBem - 2016-02-21 5:31 PM Hello! I recently discovered Worlds Without End (via Tor dot com) and I'm enjoying the site quite a bit. For my initial foray into WWE, I joined the Punk's Not Dead RYORC. I'm finding it a bit tricky to search and navigate the forums; I can't locate the Punk's Not Dead thread and I'm not really sure where to go to submit a request for a book addition, so I'll do it here and hope some benevolent entity notices and grants my wish. There's a book that's been in my collection for a few years now, but haven't read it yet, and it would fit perfectly with this reading challenge. I'd like the following book to be added to the site please: Splatterpunks: Extreme Horror Edited by Paul M Sammon 1990 St Martin's Press ISBN 0-312-04581-6 Thank you!

Moved this from another thread.

Hi John, welcome to WWEnd!  This is the thread for new book requests.  The Punk's Not Dead challenge host never started a thread for that challenge so it's no wonder you didn't find it.  One of our Ubers will get to your book request by and by.

gallyangel
Posted 2016-02-21 11:32 PM (#12794 - in reply to #12786)
Subject: RE: Book Add Request

Uber User

JohnBem - 2016-02-21 3:31 PM

Splatterpunks: Extreme Horror
Edited by Paul M Sammon

This and it's sequel are now in. Good call on the Paul Sammon. I'd forgotten him and his Future Noir book, which got put in as well.

JohnBem
Posted 2016-02-22 12:42 AM (#12795 - in reply to #12793)
Subject: RE: Book Add Request: Punk's Not Dead

Regular

Thank you, kind Administrator, for pointing me in the right direction.
I'm not sure why I had trouble locating this thread, but I'm happy to know where it is.
Thank you too, gallyangel. What a quick response! Your help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by JohnBem 2016-02-22 12:46 AM
Llyren
Posted 2016-02-22 1:34 PM (#12803 - in reply to #3662)

New User

Hi,

I wanted to use Sarah J. Mass - A Court of Thorns and Roses for one of my challenges but could not find it. Could someone please add it to the DB? Thank you!
valashain
Posted 2016-02-22 1:48 PM (#12804 - in reply to #12803)

Uber User

Llyren - 2016-02-22 8:34 PM

Hi,

I wanted to use Sarah J. Mass - A Court of Thorns and Roses for one of my challenges but could not find it. Could someone please add it to the DB? Thank you!

It's in.
Llyren
Posted 2016-02-22 1:55 PM (#12805 - in reply to #12804)

New User

valashain - 2016-02-22 1:48 PM

Llyren - 2016-02-22 8:34 PM

Hi,

It's in.

Thank you!
jontlaw
Posted 2016-02-22 8:56 PM (#12820 - in reply to #12805)

Veteran

Oh, I've been shopping again. Could I please request:

The Thongor series by Lin Carter
The Green Star series by Lin Carter
the rest of the John Grimes series by A. Bertram Chandler (I know that one is kinda long, I think 22 novels and several omnibus editions)

The Inexperienced Ghost by H.G. Wells
At the Edge of the World by Lord Dunsany
Seven Footprints to Satan by A. Merritt
Legion from the Shadows by Karl Edward Wagner

And, if I may, since the site is gaining so many media tie-in series, I wonder when we will get more Conan novels, by the likes of John Maddox Roberts, Karl Edward Wagner, Leonard Carpenter, Robert Jordan, Roland Green, and Steve Perry.

thanks
strongaf
Posted 2016-02-23 12:21 PM (#12826 - in reply to #3662)

I'm currently reading The Haunted Looking Glass ed. by Edward Gorey. If it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate it being added to the database.
valashain
Posted 2016-02-23 12:42 PM (#12827 - in reply to #12820)

Uber User

@jontlaw: a large order as usual I started with the Carters, hopefully I have time for more tomorrow. Jordan's Conan books are in the database btw.

@strongaf: The Gorey anthology is in.
dustydigger
Posted 2016-02-27 12:17 PM (#12850 - in reply to #12827)

Elite Veteran

Please could you add Thea Harrison's Elder Races series?
1. Dragon Bound
2. Storm's Heart
3. Serpent's Kiss
4. Oracle's Moon
5. Lord's Fall
6. Kinked
7. Night'sHonor
8. Midnight's Kiss
9. Shadow's End
thank you
illegible_scribble
Posted 2016-02-27 7:49 PM (#12852 - in reply to #12850)

Uber User

dustydigger - 2016-02-28 5:17 AM

Those are all self-published, and my inclination would be that they don't quite fall under the criteria for inclusion in the WWEnd DB.

I'll let the Admin or one of the other Uber Users weigh in on that. 

gallyangel
Posted 2016-02-27 9:18 PM (#12853 - in reply to #12852)

Uber User

illegible_scribble - 2016-02-27 5:49 PM

dustydigger - 2016-02-28 5:17 AM

Those are all self-published, and my inclination would be that they don't quite fall under the criteria for inclusion in the WWEnd DB.

I'lllet the Admin orone of the other Uber Users weigh in on that.

Perhaps that's the first editions or is that the international edition?
Amazon lists 9 different formats for the first book, Dragon Bound,
with paperbacks by Berkley.

Sounds close enough to include.

gallyangel
Posted 2016-02-27 11:39 PM (#12854 - in reply to #12820)

Uber User

jontlaw - 2016-02-22 6:56 PM

The Inexperienced Ghost by H.G. Wells
At the Edge of the World by Lord Dunsany
Seven Footprints to Satan by A. Merritt
Legion from the Shadows by Karl Edward Wagner

thanks

These four are in.
I think we're starting to retread with the collections by Dunsany and Wells. If you happen to need clarification on what a short story collection contains, just ask.

With the Merritt, I wonder if we just found out where the name James T. Kirk came from?!?!
Jump to page : < ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 >
Now viewing page 50 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)