open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The forceps of our minds are clumsy forceps, and crush the truth a little in taking hold of it." - H.G. Wells
- (Added by: Administrator)

Mythopoeic Awards
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Emil
Posted 2012-08-16 2:21 AM (#3994)
Subject: Mythopoeic Awards

Uber User

I've seen a discussion about this previously, but can't recall where in the forum this was.

I've been buying some of the books on this list:

http://www.mythsoc.org/awards/winners/

In particular in the children / young adult category. I am more than pleasantly surprised in the quality of these winners. Even if the mythopeic awards predominately or even exclusively focuses on fantasy, the children / YA category is a wonderful additional resource for introducing our children (and others) to our genre.

I never knew Michael Chabon wrote a YA novel. Summerland won a mythopoec award, and was nominated for the Locus YA!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2012-08-17 7:31 AM (#3996 - in reply to #3994)
Subject: Re: Mythopoeic Awards

Elite Veteran

I read quite a bit YA ,since it is a welcome respite from the tedious graphic sex and coarse language so prevalent in adult books today.I liked Graceling very much,and lately two good YA books I found to be excellent were Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone,and Marissa Meyer's Cinder.Maria V Snyder's Poison Study was good too.
I am on the lookout for Diana Wynne Jones Dark Lord of Dirkhelm.Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus books are fun too
Emil
Posted 2012-08-17 9:11 AM (#3999 - in reply to #3996)

Uber User

Thanks @Dusty, I'll certainly track your suggestions down as well. I'm really enjoying the YA books lately. As you say, it is a respite from the modern mature content, but more so, these books (probably because of their "innocence" ) make me feel like I did when I read SF for the first time as a young boy
jfrantz
Posted 2012-08-22 12:03 AM (#4017 - in reply to #3994)

This looks like an interesting list. Thanks for pointing it out!
Linguana
Posted 2013-01-27 4:45 AM (#4629 - in reply to #3994)

I came to the forum solely to look if somebody had suggested the Mythopoeic Awards. I haven't read too many of the winners or nominees but the ones I have read were all brilliant. It's a list I'd personally go to for recommendations and I'd love to see it on WWE. Maybe someday?

Edited by Linguana 2013-01-27 4:46 AM
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-01-28 9:41 AM (#4635 - in reply to #3994)

Uber User

Perhaps Dave coulld add this at some point. Many of the books are already in the db and more are sure to be added with the WoGFC.
Administrator
Posted 2013-01-28 10:59 AM (#4636 - in reply to #4635)

Admin

Hey everybody,

I've got some good news for you regarding the Mythopoetic Award.  It has been our intention to add this award to the site for some time but we're short now 74 books from having the complete list.  Our thought was that with adding all the new women authors to the site for the WoGF we'd eventually get all the Mytho authors done.

Well, we're going to flip that and come at it from the other side.  Since the majority of the books we're missing are by women authors we're going to start putting in the last of the Mytho books to complete the award list which will also support our goal of 100 new women authors for the challenge.  This will kill 2 birds with one stone and get the Mytho Award up faster with the extra benefit of adding award nominated works to the site rather than just random titles.

Some things to keep in mind:

- Even though it's only 74 books we're missing many of those books are parts of series.  Since we prefer to add whole series at the same time it really means there are over 200 new books to add.

- There are a couple dozen new authors in the list of missing works so we'll have to create new records for them and find author pics etc.

- We'll still be adding authors and books requested by members too so we won't be able to do just the Mytho books.  We'll have to mix them in.

- We're getting into awards season again which means there will be lots of new books and authors to add to the site when the nom lists start rolling out

- We have a new book list that we're working on, unrelated to the WoGF, that's taking a lot of time to flesh out that we think will be a big hit. Look for that in a couple weeks.

All these things take lots of time so even though this plan should move us closer to the Mytho, faster than before, it won't be right away.  But knowing it's coming quicker is pretty cool, right?  Wish us luck!

justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-01-28 12:48 PM (#4637 - in reply to #3994)

Uber User

Indeed, good luck. That's quite a work load.
Linguana
Posted 2013-01-28 11:48 PM (#4638 - in reply to #3994)

Yay! You just made my day.
minervasowl
Posted 2013-05-26 7:47 AM (#5120 - in reply to #3994)
Subject: RE: Mythopoeic Awards

This is a great list to include. While it is good to know what is going on in the "majors," I like to venture off the beaten path.

I read a lot of YA, and second the recommendation of Daughter of Smoke and Bone, which now has a sequel, and add Lament and Ballad by Maggie Stievator (not sure I spelled her last name correctly), who wrote the Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy. Charles de Lint, Holly Black and Tamora Pierce write excellent YA.

I venture into the young readers section (where Harry Potter started out) quite a bit as well. There is adventure to be had. Artemis Fowl, Fablehaven, and Tapestry are three series which come to mind.
htaccess
Posted 2013-07-06 10:54 PM (#5391 - in reply to #3994)

Veteran

Any ETA for adding this award?

Edited by htaccess 2013-07-06 10:55 PM
Administrator
Posted 2013-07-13 1:06 AM (#5429 - in reply to #5391)

Admin

Good news!  We have all the missing cover images done and have about 50 books to add to the database..  That's the actual books nominated for the award and the series books that go with them.  We got a couple dozen loaded up yesterday.  With a bit of luck we'll get the rest by the end of the next week.  Fingers crossed.  We're really stoked to be adding the Mytho finally!
Linguana
Posted 2013-07-13 5:38 AM (#5430 - in reply to #3994)

Yay *happy dance*
minervasowl
Posted 2013-07-13 7:28 AM (#5431 - in reply to #5430)

I second the happy dancing!!!
Administrator
Posted 2013-07-18 8:46 AM (#5436 - in reply to #5431)

Admin

Ladies and gentlemen, put on your dancing shoes!  We finally managed to get thie one done.

Mythopoeic Award

Read the announcement in the blog.

Thanks for your patience and we hope you all enjoy it

DrNefario
Posted 2013-07-19 7:07 AM (#5438 - in reply to #3994)

Uber User

Hooray! Good work.
htaccess
Posted 2013-07-21 8:01 PM (#5446 - in reply to #3994)

Veteran

The Weirdstone of Brisingamen was written in 1960, does anyone know why it was nominated for this years award? Its also interesting that it is nominated in the Adult award rather than the Children’s award, the trilogy is usually considered children's literature.<br />

Edited by htaccess 2013-07-21 8:07 PM
htaccess
Posted 2013-07-21 8:11 PM (#5447 - in reply to #3994)

Veteran

To answer my own question: "Boneland (2012) is Alan Garners continuation of the story thread which began in his first and enduringly popular fantasy childrens novel, The Weirdstone of Brisingamen, published in 1960, it has never been out of print. The Moon of Gomrath followed in 1963 taking the story further with the same two children, Colin and Susan. But Boneland is particularly fascinating because it takes the story into adulthood, with Colin again the main proponent." This illustrates my dislike of only including the first novel of a series in the lists and awards pages, the first book is unfairly boosted even when the later books might be better or very different.

Edited by htaccess 2013-07-21 8:12 PM
Administrator
Posted 2013-07-21 9:43 PM (#5448 - in reply to #5447)

Admin

There are a handful of series that have been nominated once the final book has been published and that is one of them.  We represent the series by showing the first book of the series in the award.  I suppose if there was an omnibus for the series we'd add that to our database and put it down in place of the first volume to be a little more accurate.  I should really list those in the info tab for the award just to make it clear.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)