open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The will to be stupid is a very powerful force, but there are always alternatives." - Lois McMaster Bujold
- (Added by: Administrator)

Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Tim_Eagon
Posted 2013-04-19 8:33 PM (#4966)
Subject: Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series

The Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series (1969-1974) is one of the seminal collections of fantasy books - many of which were out of print or largely inaccessible at the time - from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Under the editorship of Lin Carter, the series proper included 65 books, though there were also related books published before and afterwards.

For a complete listing of the book see the linked wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballantine_Adult_Fantasy_series 

Like the Gollancz Fantasy Masterworks Series (which has a lot of crossover with the Ballantine series) and Paizo's Planet Stories series, I just want to delve into these books.  I haven't read many; so far, I've read The Broken Sword, The Blue Star, and the HP Lovecraft stories, and I picked up Kai Lung's Golden Hours at a library sale for a quarter last weekend. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2013-06-18 3:31 AM (#5293 - in reply to #4966)
Subject: Re: Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series

Elite Veteran

Wow,Tim,that is some impressive list,though I have only read about three of them!.But I do recognize quite a few as classics of that genre.But I have no time to fit them in anywhere.Maybe in about 3 years time,thats how packed my to- be- read list is.Even my sf list on my profile here has over 100 sf books to read,never mind all the other genresSo many books,so little time.
DrPaisley
Posted 2013-06-21 8:54 PM (#5334 - in reply to #4966)

New User

There are some wonderful books in the series. My favorites are the James Branch Cabell selections. Definitely worth reading.
Tim_Eagon
Posted 2013-06-21 9:08 PM (#5335 - in reply to #4966)

In response to your Twitter query, I wholeheartedly endorse adding the series to the WWE database.
minervasowl
Posted 2013-06-21 10:03 PM (#5336 - in reply to #4966)

I applaud the inclusion of more fantasy lists, especially classic fantasy, although I second the "so many books, so little time" dilemma. Some of the titles on this list might be a challenge to find, so it could be a reading list which doubles as a quest.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)