open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Douglas Adams
- (Added by: Administrator)

Can we have a new list representing Children's Lit?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

theman
Posted 2013-05-22 12:13 AM (#5097)
Subject: Can we have a new list representing Children's Lit?

Best of Children's Literature; Recommended Reads For Children; Books to Read to Children. YA literature is well represented in awards and lists, but the majority of this content is only appropriate for teenagers. Childrens Literature is not well represented on WWE. As a result, many classics of speculative fiction do not have WWE entries. These books turned us on to reading and are the most loved. They were read to us, they were the first books we read independently, they are mostly fantasy:

Adams Watership Down
Barries Peter Pan
Baums Wonderful World of Oz
Beagles the Last Unicorn
Dalhs James and the Giant Peach and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
DeCamillos The Tale of Despareaux
Endes Neverending Story
Funkes Dragonrider, Inkheart
Gaimans Coraline, the Graveyard Book
Jones Howls Moving Castle
Justers Phantom Tollbooth
Kiplings Jungle Book
LEngles A Wrinkle in Time
Lewis The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Rowlings Sorcerers Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban
Tolkiens The Hobbit

This list include some of the best scifi and fantasy, captivating readers of every age. They are universal in appeal and stand the various tests of time. Im sure many of us could flush it out with both older and newer titles. If this list capture material for more advanced readers, say 10-12 year olds, then a lot more scifi enters the list: Enders Game, Hunger Games, City of Ember, Hitchhikers Guide, Have Space Suit - Will Travel and, well, a couple more Heinlein.
Thoughts?

Edited by theman 2013-05-22 12:14 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2013-05-22 9:51 AM (#5102 - in reply to #5097)
Subject: RE: Can we have a new list representing Children's Lit?

Admin

This is an interesting idea!  I know we have some kids books on the site but they're not organized in any fashion so they're not easy to find.  A list would be very handy to have if for no other reason than to help the parents among us find books for our kids.  We'll have to find an established list with some credibility behind it, which is our usual MO.  Any recomendations?  Links to lists/awards that would fit the bill?

My 12 year old daughter has been reading more and more books from our database which has been really cool.  She's not using WWEnd to find them but I get a kick out of pointing out that what she's reading is on daddy's site.  Of course, she's 12 so it's not all that cool from her perspective but still

Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-05-23 7:55 AM (#5103 - in reply to #5097)
Subject: RE: Can we have a new list representing Children's Lit?

Uber User

The Locus Magazines Locus Index of SF Awards lists something Called the Golden Duck Award that covers three categories picture books, Middle School and Young Adults, but it has only been given out since 1992, so most of the books theman is talking about will not be listed. At a glance at least 9 of the books listed are already on the web site, they are just on other lists.
theman
Posted 2013-05-23 9:42 PM (#5107 - in reply to #5097)
Subject: Re: Can we have a new list representing Children's Lit?

Possible awards:
Mythopoeic Awards. They give awards for adult and children's fantasy. http://www.mythsoc.org/awards/
Golden Duck awards for science fiction. They give awards for three age ranges: picture book, 2-6 and 6-12. http://www.goldenduck.org/

That's all i know of, and I'm not sure how "esteemed" either of these would be considered. I think the premier awards for Children's lit are the Newbery, Carnegie, Michael I Printz Awards. Only some of the winners qualify as sci-fi or fantasy.

I googled a few "best children's fantasy/science fiction" lists, but none were of the caliber of the sort of lists found on this website. Found an interesting website: http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-children's-fantasy-books.html. Many interesting lists here.

Someone should compile an exhaustive, definitive list of Children's Genre Lit. Maybe WWE should make that list, culled from input/votes of our members. The WWE community has yet to produce its own original list. I'm sure the membership includes plenty of enthusiastic list-makers.

Edited by theman 2013-05-23 9:43 PM
minervasowl
Posted 2013-05-24 8:08 AM (#5111 - in reply to #5097)

They aren't sf/f/h specific, but many of the Newbery and Caldecott winners and nominees fit into one of those categories -- Susan Cooper, Lloyd Alexander, Madeleine L'Engle, Neil Gaiman, and more. And it's not just kids and parents who read them.

http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/caldecottmedal/calde...

http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/newberymedal/newbery...

Maybe start with a list of children's books which are already on the site because they or the authors have won awards or are on lists already featured on the site.

I would love to help add books for younger (or at least youthful :-) ) readers to the site.

Edited by minervasowl 2013-05-24 8:15 AM
minervasowl
Posted 2013-05-27 9:50 AM (#5123 - in reply to #5097)

The Young Adult Library Services Association has a list of booklists and awards: http://www.ala.org/yalsa/booklistsawards/booklistsbook. (The American Library Association also has an extensive list of awards, but that's really off topic.)

The only one which looks to be remotely genre specific is the Great Graphic Novels for teens list, but I thought I would share anyway for those who are interested in children's/YA fiction in general. Plus, I think that the teen book finder app is cool.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)