open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The function of science fiction is not always to predict the future but sometimes to prevent it." - Frank Herbert
- (Added by: Administrator)

Tiptree Award
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

megaparsecs
Posted 2013-06-10 5:28 PM (#5244)
Subject: Tiptree Award

New User

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to suggest this, but if adding another award to the list that you've got going on in the BookTrackr/in general is something that people are interested in, the Tiptree Award might be a good one.

Named in honor of James Tiptree, Jr. (Alice Bradley Sheldon), it's an award for books that "expands or explores our understandings of gender." Website for it is tiptree.org, and it's had a lot of great winners in the past.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2013-06-10 5:53 PM (#5246 - in reply to #5244)
Subject: RE: Tiptree Award

Admin

megaparsecs - 2013-06-10 5:28 PM Not sure if this is the appropriate place to suggest this, but if adding another award to the list that you've got going on in the BookTrackr/in general is something that people are interested in, the Tiptree Award might be a good one. Named in honor of James Tiptree, Jr. (Alice Bradley Sheldon), it's an award for books that "expands or explores our understandings of gender." Website for it is tiptree.org, and it's had a lot of great winners in the past.

This one is definitely on the list of awards to add to the site already.  We try to add a new award or list every few months but the WoGF has taken the lion's share of our time since it started.  Next up is the Mythopoetic Award which we are trying to wrap up now.  After that who knows?  Tiptree is a good candidate but we'll look at several and find one that we're close to having all the books for already - there being a lot of overlap with other awards and just the influx of new titles for the WoGF etc.

By the way, welcome to WWEnd!  I see you've gone to town tagging books and I appreciate you jumping right in.  Let me know if you have any questions or if you need any help.

htaccess
Posted 2013-07-06 10:56 PM (#5392 - in reply to #5244)
Subject: Re: Tiptree Award

Veteran

+1
minervasowl
Posted 2013-08-20 2:30 PM (#5520 - in reply to #5244)

Even though the winners of this award are not only women, adding this list would coincide nicely with the WoGF efforts.
Administrator
Posted 2013-08-20 2:53 PM (#5521 - in reply to #5520)

Admin

minervasowl - 2013-08-20 2:30 PM Even though the winners of this award are not only women, adding this list would coincide nicely with the WoGF efforts.

I agree 100% but there is a catch.

One of the problems we have not worked out is how to represent the short stories in the Tiptree.  The award mixes novels and shorts and our site is built around books as discreet units.  I guess we'd have to find the short story collection or anthology where the short piece first appeared and list that with a note about the specific short story title within the book.  Not sure how to show that in the award listing.  Perhaps the story title in italic under the book title? What if there is no book for the short?  I have no idea how we would handle a case where the short appeared online or in a magazine etc.

If this was a straight forward add it would already be in our database.  Since it's going to require some additional code that will have to touch on a lot of pages we've had to put it off for other lower hanging fruit.

Now that we've got the Mytho done we can perhaps look into this one again but I have to say I'm rather keen on getting the Locus First Novel Award added.  It's a clean addition in that it will require no new coding - just a straight data update - and since it's a one time deal per author it has a ton of new authors in it.  And we're only shy around 60 new books/authors.

See?  I've already talked myself out of the Tiptree again.

minervasowl
Posted 2013-08-20 3:26 PM (#5524 - in reply to #5244)

The designation of books as discreet units makes me wonder if banned books are considered indiscreet units.

First novels are a weakness for me. I always like to start at the beginning of an author's work, or else go back to the beginning if I am introduced to an author via a later work, even if I don't read the rest chronologically. If I have to choose first novel vs. Tiptree, well, then I would go with first novel.

That said, it sounds as if you have actually solved the Tiptree issue -- and repeatedly -- rather than talking yourself out of it. If the story is in a collection or anthology, then list both either on the same page or cross reference the two. If no book, then list whatever reference is available. If you can link to it somehow, great. If not, then WWEnders are on their own to be resourceful, which I am sure they can handle.

On the other hand, the coding work part of it I can't speak to, so if that is messy and complicated, I'll take your word for it.
htaccess
Posted 2013-12-18 2:09 AM (#5851 - in reply to #5244)

Veteran

I would just exclude the short stories from the list and explain why in the blurb.
DrNefario
Posted 2013-12-19 7:47 AM (#5853 - in reply to #5244)

Uber User

The list of winners on Wikipedia shows a collection containing the winning story. The problem there is that two of Ursula le Guin's stories are in the same book.
HRO
Posted 2014-02-09 3:16 AM (#6414 - in reply to #5244)

Uber User

Any news on adding the Tiptree to WWEnd?
Administrator
Posted 2014-02-09 1:18 PM (#6419 - in reply to #6414)

Admin

HRO - 2014-02-09 3:16 AM Any news on adding the Tiptree to WWEnd?

Our hands are full with the RYO and user submissions etc. at the moment.  It will be awhile yet before we can get to it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)