open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The beginning is so very far away, I thought, but the end is always near. That's what time means, to humans. - Leena Krohn (Datura (or, A Delusion We All See))
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

Chronicles of The Last Emperor of Melnibon
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

jamersontiossi
Posted 2013-12-15 10:18 AM (#5839)
Subject: Chronicles of The Last Emperor of Melnibon

I watched the Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melnibon series in six volumes, published by Ballantine Books / Del Rey, is not listed as part of the collection of the portal.
I think the fundamental series and would like to see it here. Is it possible?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-12-16 12:01 PM (#5840 - in reply to #5839)
Subject: Re: Chronicles of The Last Emperor of Melnibon

Uber User

I think you mean The Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Menibone by Michael Moorcock, better know as the Elric Sequence or the Saga of Elric of Melnibone. They are listed on this site as The Elric Saga.
jamersontiossi
Posted 2013-12-16 2:58 PM (#5841 - in reply to #5840)

The latest series (The Chronicles) is a new organization, revised tales and new art on the cover.
I appreciate the attention, but I think the books related to The Elric Saga are not the same.

Here's the new cover: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-B_qRa31iZ_Q/UQl9SsNGjVI/AAAAAAAALes/JaruY...
Administrator
Posted 2013-12-16 3:10 PM (#5843 - in reply to #5840)

Admin

I did some research on the Elric Series and it is massively convoluted.  The series has been worked and reworked numerous times over the last 40 years with different stroies making it into different printings of the books.  The books themselves seem to be mostly fixups of shorter works which have also been reworked and re-titled individually and combined differently in various editions and omnibuses etc.

We will definitely add the Chronicles as it's own series as they seem to be different enough to justify the effort.  And the cover art is cool.  I've got those books on my list.

Thanks jamerson and justified.

Administrator
Posted 2013-12-16 3:15 PM (#5844 - in reply to #5843)

Admin

Here is the most detailed explanation of how the Elric Saga has evolved over the years. 

http://www.multiverse.org/wiki/index.php?title=The_Elric_Saga_%28series%29

What we have now is the series detailed in the section The Books / 1977-1988 with the US covers.  The UK covers for the same set have the first and last book covers reversed.

It's a fascination read if you're a fan of the series.

jamersontiossi
Posted 2013-12-16 3:42 PM (#5846 - in reply to #5843)

Administrator - 2013-12-15 7:10 PM

We will definitely add the Chronicles as it's own series as they seem to be different enough to justify the effort. And the cover art is cool. I've got those books on my list.

Thanks jamerson and justified.

I'm glad you include the check number. Here in Brazil there is a recent agreement with a local publisher, and readers will know the character through the listed books in the series.

Should be translated and released in 2014. According to Moorcock himself shall be published the first four volumes.

Apart from that, in the distant 1975 had a single translation of Stormbringer in his version of the season. Note that I was born in 1975 and am 38 years old, what means you have plenty of time.

On my blog there http://osilenciodoscarneiros.blogspot.com.br reviews tales of Elric.
htaccess
Posted 2013-12-17 3:10 PM (#5849 - in reply to #5844)

Veteran

The Books / 1977-1988

This is the definitive version imho.

jamersontiossi
Posted 2013-12-17 4:06 PM (#5850 - in reply to #5849)

This is the definitive version imho.

Here in Brazil, as I said, we first had to translate Stormbringer. When I read The Stealer of Souls, I noticed some differences and longer stories. As a writer I argue that a writer has every right to review his work, although revisions become too exhausting and opportunistic process.

I think the big difference in The Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melnibon is the inclusion of peripheral tales as The Eternal Champion and the meeting of all the adventures of Elric in a complete series [until the next review].
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)