open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." - Terry Pratchett
- (Added by: Administrator)

2013 Tiptree Award
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

HRO
Posted 2014-02-17 11:10 PM (#6498)
Subject: 2013 Tiptree Award

Uber User

The winners and nominees for the 2013 Tiptree Award have been announced.

(The Tiptree is not yet included on WWEnd but according to the Powers That Be it's on the To Do List.)

Winner Rupetta by N.A. Sulway
Four hundred years ago, in a small town in rural France, a young woman creates the future in the shape of Rupetta. Part mechanical, part human, Rupetta's consciousness is tied to the women who wind her. In the years that follow she is bought and sold, borrowed, forgotten and revered. By the twentieth century, the Rupettan four-fold law rules everyone's lives, but Rupetta - the immortal being on whose existence and history those laws are based - is the keeper of a secret that will tear apart the world her followers have built in her name.

Rupetta is available as an ebook or a limited hardback edition from an indie publisher. Hopefully one of the bigger publishing houses pick it up so it's more easily attainable.

Honor List
Eleanor Arnoson - Big Mama Stories
Aliette de Board - Heaven Under Earth (ss)
Nicola Griffith - Hild
Alaya Dawn Johnson - The Summer Prince
Ann Leckie - Ancillary Justice
Bennet Madison - September Girls
Sarah McCarry - All our Pretty Songs
Janelle Monae - Electric Lady
Helene Wecker - The Golem and the Jinni
S.M. Wheeler - Sea Change

Top of the page Bottom of the page
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-03-20 12:41 PM (#6733 - in reply to #6498)
Subject: Re: 2013 Tiptree Award

Uber User

Is there an award yet for which Ancillary Justice has not been nominated?

I so have to read this book as soon as possible...

Edited by FeminineFantastique 2014-03-20 12:41 PM
HRO
Posted 2014-03-20 6:50 PM (#6734 - in reply to #6733)

Uber User

FeminineFantastique - Is there an award yet for which Ancillary Justice has not been nominated?.

I know, right?

In my review I said something about expecting it to receive some award noms but this is simply unbelievable!
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-03-22 12:38 AM (#6739 - in reply to #6734)

Uber User

HRO - 2014-03-20 6:50 PM

FeminineFantastique - Is there an award yet for which Ancillary Justice has not been nominated?.

I know, right?

In my review I said something about expecting it to receive some award noms but this is simply unbelievable!

Yep. We have yet to see the end of the year of course, but I'm rather curious to see whether it's the most award-nominated SF/F book of all time. I've just done an eyeball analysis -- no spreadsheets or anything (this took a bit of self-restraint *coughaccountantcough*) -- but this seems uncanny. Especially for, y'know, a debut novel. So I can't wait to read it,

To meander vaguely back on-topic:

1) I'm actually going to WisCon this year (the convention where the Tiptree Award is hosted) and yay.

2) Interestingly enough, in my eyeball analysis of all the SF/F awards, it looks like the Mythopoeic Award has by far (other than perhaps the Tiptree) the greatest number of female nominees and winners, at about 55% and 70%, respectively, in spite of the fact that the Mythopoeic Society has no feminist roots.

Strongly considering going to this conference as well and writing a comparative analysis of the two and the awards.

3) The Tiptree winner this year looks fascinating.
HRO
Posted 2014-03-22 8:38 AM (#6740 - in reply to #6739)

Uber User

FeminineFantastique

Yep. We have yet to see the end of the year of course, but I'm rather curious to see whether it's the most award-nominated SF/F book of all time. I've just done an eyeball analysis -- no spreadsheets or anything (this took a bit of self-restraint *coughaccountantcough*) -- but this seems uncanny. Especially for, y'know, a debut novel. So I can't wait to read it,

It may not be the most nominated book ever, but if not, I suspect that it's on a rather short list. Just off the top of my head, there's American Gods with 8 noms and Perdido Street Station and Time Ships with 7 each. And Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell had 6 sff award noms plus a Man Booker Award nom.

FeminineFantastique

To meander vaguely back on-topic:

1) I'm actually going to WisCon this year (the convention where the Tiptree Award is hosted) and yay.

2) Interestingly enough, in my eyeball analysis of all the SF/F awards, it looks like the Mythopoeic Award has by far (other than perhaps the Tiptree) the greatest number of female nominees and winners, at about 55% and 70%, respectively, in spite of the fact that the Mythopoeic Society has no feminist roots.

Strongly considering going to this conference as well and writing a comparative analysis of the two and the awards.

3) The Tiptree winner this year looks fascinating.

1. Oh, how fabulous! Have a great time!
2. I wonder.....is that because women write more mythic fiction, or because the best mythic fiction is written by women?
3. It does, doesn't it? Hopefully one day it's more easily accessible so I can read it (or mayhap I shall some day get an ereader so I have access to books like this!)

FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-03-23 9:43 PM (#6749 - in reply to #6740)

Uber User

HRO - 2014-03-22 8:38 AM

It may not be the most nominated book ever, but if not, I suspect that it's on a rather short list. Just off the top of my head, there's American Gods with 8 noms and Perdido Street Station and Time Ships with 7 each. And Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell had 6 sff award noms plus a Man Booker Award nom.

Have I met my match in nerdiness? lol

2. I wonder.....is that because women write more mythic fiction, or because the best mythic fiction is written by women?
3. It does, doesn't it? Hopefully one day it's more easily accessible so I can read it (or mayhap I shall some day get an ereader so I have access to books like this!)

I imagine that, since it just won a literary award, a dead tree version is pretty likely in the near future.

As far as mythic fiction is concerned -- no idea. It looks like the nomination ratio is pretty close to the gender ratio in the human population (which is far better than most SF/F awards), but the winners are almost three quarters female. Pretty striking, considering most SF/F awards. A few are so abysmal *glares at the UK* that women win less than once per decade.

There's no time advantage, either; for the Mythopoeic Award, about the same ratios have held true since the award's creation in 1971. So it's not like the numbers are because other awards have been around for a lot longer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)