open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I'm not a yellow card. I don't have anything to fear." Hock Seng makes himself smile in return, thinking that she does not know how little anyone cares to separate wheat from chaff, when all anyone wants to do is burn a field. - The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
- (Added by: Administrator)

Award Request: Prometheus Award
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

HRO
Posted 2014-04-02 6:57 PM (#6832 - in reply to #6757)
Subject: Re: Award Request: Prometheus Award

Uber User

And another award to consider is the Lambda Literary Award for Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2014-04-02 7:34 PM (#6833 - in reply to #6813)

Admin

Rhondak101 - 2014-04-02 10:04 AM Dave, You know that the researcher in me is going to look up all of these awards However, at first thought I would note two things. I think that there's going to be a lot of author overlap between the four Aurealis categories and the Ditmar, so that's less work in the long run. Second, I'd start with Aurealis SF (of the two awards I've done the spread sheets for) because the amount of series in the Fantasy awards is insane!

Ha, I could have guessed that!  Overlap makes things slightly easier for sure.

justifiedsinner - 2014-04-02 11:39 AM Before moving on to new awards, any thoughts on updating and sorting out the mess that is the BFS awards? My vote would be for splitting them into 2, the Derleth and the Holroyd.

Yes, I have thought about it.  Some day I'll get in there and fix it.  I'm still cheesed about the changes they made so I'm in no hurry.  The split is the answer.

HRO - 2014-04-02 2:17 PM I put together a spreadsheet for the Sunburst Award but didn't share it because the database is missing most of the books. You can see it HERE.

Coolness!  Perhaps some overlap will occur before we get to the Sunburst.

Rhondak101 - 2014-04-02 4:14 PM Dave, I'd vote for a variety of collections and anthologies with a few of the quick additions before tacking the well established national book awards.

I like that idea too.

HRO - 2014-04-02 6:25 PM There are several awards the have a category for best collection that are not included in your list - World Fantasy, Nebula, Hugo, etc. I'm not sure exactly, but I know most of them have it. Another award to add to the list is the Gaylactic Spectrum Award. You can view the spreadsheet HERE. It's similar in scope to the Tiptree ("to honor works in science fiction, fantasy and horror which include positive explorations of gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered characters, themes, or issues" so there are a few titles to appear on both lists. (Two birds, one stone, etc.) The Gaylactic does get a bit complicated because in various years additional categories were added (stories, graphic novels, other works, etc.). But perhaps it could initially be added to the site with just the novels?

WF, Nebula and Hugo don't have those categories as far as I can see.  I used the awards index on the Locus site for research.  I'm focusing on current awards so left off the Gaylactic which appears to have ended in 2011.  I did miss the Lambda though.  For some reason I thought it was for poetry.  I'll add that to the list.

Thanks everyone!

HRO
Posted 2014-04-03 3:59 AM (#6835 - in reply to #6833)
Subject: Re: Awards

Uber User

WF, Nebula and Hugo don't have those categories as far as I can see. I used the awards index on the Locus site for research. I'm focusing on current awards so left off the Gaylactic which appears to have ended in 2011. I did miss the Lambda though. For some reason I thought it was for poetry. I'll add that to the list.

Thanks everyone!

Oh, I guess you're right about the Nebula and Hugo. The World Fantasy does, though. It just seems like when I was researching for the Short Fiction challenge I was surprised how many awards had a collection category.....I don't remember know which ones did and didn't.

Is the Gaylactic defunct? The website has listings for nominees/winner in 2012. And the homepage says nominations for the 2013 award were accepted through March 31, 2013......but that's been over a year ago and no winner was chosen? I didn't find anything anywhere saying that the prize was cancelled.
DrNefario
Posted 2014-04-03 7:13 AM (#6836 - in reply to #6757)

Uber User

I must admit my main reason for raising the Gemmell Award was to try to game the 12 Awards in 12 Months challenge. Especially since I've read all the Hugo winners, possibly including this year's, and am not much of a fan of horror. I have managed to read a Shirley Jackson winner since then, though, so it's not such a big deal.

I do think the Gemmell covers the more commercial end of fantasy which is not very well served by other awards, and it is going to be an easy one to add (although a new shortlist is due at Eastercon in about 2 weeks, which could complicate things), but I don't really feel too strongly about getting it included immediately.
Administrator
Posted 2014-04-03 8:15 AM (#6837 - in reply to #6836)

Admin

Here is the updated list with links.  The Ditmar apparently has no site - the official site link redirects to Wikipedia.

Engelbrecht
Posted 2014-04-09 1:35 AM (#6934 - in reply to #6757)
Subject: RE: Award Request: Prometheus Award

Uber User

I don't know if the pool is open to lists, but if so, I'd like to see Jeff Vandermeer's Fantasy: Essential Reading list added. It's a marvelous list, full of interesting and unusual literary fantasy. I think WWE has 26 of the 60 books, so that only leaves 34 to add...

Administrator
Posted 2014-04-09 7:42 AM (#6942 - in reply to #6934)

Admin

Engelbrecht - 2014-04-09 1:35 AM

I don't know if the pool is open to lists, but if so, I'd like to see Jeff Vandermeer's Fantasy: Essential Reading list added. It's a marvelous list, full of interesting and unusual literary fantasy. I think WWE has 26 of the 60 books, so that only leaves 34 to add...

There is no reason we can't do the same plan for lists.  Perhaps we can alternate between awards and lists?  Say two awards then a list then repeat?  What other significant lists are out there that we should have?

justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-04-09 9:36 AM (#6947 - in reply to #6934)

Uber User

Engelbrecht - 2014-04-09 2:35 AM

It's a pretty bizarre list IMHOP. Possession? If on a Winter Night a Traveler? Blood Meridian? At Swim-Two-Birds? All fine books but I would hardly class them as fantasies. Blood Meridian is based on historic incidents: the Glantons were an actual group of bounty hunters who scalped Indians from 1849-1850.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-04-09 2:27 PM (#6958 - in reply to #6757)

Uber User

I like Ted Gioia's list of Conceptual Fiction http://www.conceptualfiction.com/index.html as well. It has around 140 books, and I quickly counted about 105 that I know are in WWE. What it will bring to the WWE is more global authors who write magic realism. I wonder if the missing books have some overlap with the Vandermeer list. I should check that out.

Rhonda
htaccess
Posted 2014-04-09 10:46 PM (#6965 - in reply to #6942)

Veteran

Administrator - 2014-04-10 12:42 AM  There is no reason we can't do the same plan for lists.  Perhaps we can alternate between awards and lists?  Say two awards then a list then repeat?  What other significant lists are out there that we should have?

+1

There are a bunch in the old adding lists and series thread, I'll try dig some out. 

Edited by htaccess 2014-04-09 10:48 PM
Engelbrecht
Posted 2014-04-10 1:53 AM (#6967 - in reply to #6942)

Uber User

Administrator - 2014-04-09 5:42 AM

There is no reason we can't do the same plan for lists.  Perhaps we can alternate between awards and lists?  Say two awards then a list then repeat?  What other significant lists are out there that we should have?

Nice idea!  Some possibilities:

• Fantasy: Essential Reading by Jeff Vandermeer. Jeff notes that the list is "skewed to my own definitions of fantasy and my own obsessions with technique".  The list is all the more interesting for it's idiosyncrasies.
  • Ted Gioia's list of Conceptual Fiction that Rhonda found looks to be pretty interesting as well.
  • Fantasy:  The 100 Best Books by Cawthorne & Moorcock has been mentioned a number of times as being an excellent list candidate.  I can't seem to find the list itself online, but I have the data in my book spreadsheet and can make it available to those interested.
  • The Ballantine Adult Fantasy series was an absolutely seminal series.  In it's time, it was very much more important than the current pair of Masterworks series.
  • 100 Must-read Science Fiction Novels and 100 Must-read Fantasy Novels by Andrews & Rennison are both solid lists.  However, arrangements to disseminate the list contents might have to be made with the authors, as I remember that one of them had remonstrated with a blogger who had posted the lists, complaining that it might hurt sales of the books.  This was some years ago, so the passage of time may have altered their views.
  • Owlcroft's 100 Great "Works" of Science Fiction & Fantasy is a very interesting list, albeit a little unwieldy, as his definition of a work includes such things as Pratchett's Discworld (some 40 books), Cabell's Biography of Manuel (25 books), Baum's Oz (15 books) and Wolfe's Briah Cycle (12 books).
  • The Seven-League Shelf, a fairly traditional list of some 34 books taken from Baird Searles' A Readers Guide to Fantasy (1982).  I believe that there is also a companion list for SF, but I'd have to do some digging to find it.
  • The New Ace SF Special had a short but spectacular life and might be worth including.

Edited by Engelbrecht 2014-04-10 2:03 AM
Administrator
Posted 2014-04-10 8:01 AM (#6974 - in reply to #6967)

Admin

Engelbrecht - 2014-04-10 1:53 AM

• Fantasy:  The 100 Best Books by Cawthorne & Moorcock has been mentioned a number of times as being an excellent list candidate.  I can't seem to find the list itself online, but I have the data in my book spreadsheet and can make it available to those interested.

This one interests me quite a bit and we have had many people ask about it's inclusion.

DrNefario
Posted 2014-04-20 2:44 PM (#7291 - in reply to #6757)

Uber User

Well, the new Gemmell shortlist was also announced yesterday, and happily all of them are already in the DB. I've updated the spreadsheet.
HRO
Posted 2014-04-20 8:40 PM (#7296 - in reply to #6942)
Subject: RE: Book Lists

Uber User

Endicott Mythic Fiction - http://endicottstudio.typepad.com/jomareadinglists/recommended_myth...
Endicott Fairy Tale Fiction - http://endicottstudio.typepad.com/jomareadinglists/recommended_fair...
DrNefario
Posted 2014-05-16 8:34 AM (#7678 - in reply to #6757)

Uber User

All books required for the Gemmell Legend Award are now in the database.
Administrator
Posted 2014-05-16 9:02 PM (#7694 - in reply to #7678)

Admin

DrNefario - 2014-05-16 8:34 AM All books required for the Gemmell Legend Award are now in the database.

Very cool!  Care to finish off the Gemmell Morningstar?  We're missing 7 from that award:

• Warrior Priest, Darius Hinks (Black Library)
  • Tymon's Flight, Mary Victoria (HarperCollins Australia)
  • Malice, John Gwynne (Pan Macmillan)
  • The Garden of Stones, Mark T. Barnes (47 North)
  • The Grim Company, Luke Scull (Head of Zeus)
  • Headtaker, David Guymer (Black Library)
  • The Path of Anger, Antoine Rouaud (Gollancz)

The Legend and Morningstar will go in together since they're both really short awards.

valashain
Posted 2014-05-17 11:47 AM (#7695 - in reply to #7694)

Uber User

I'm done with my review for this week so I'll have a go at these tonight.
valashain
Posted 2014-05-17 12:52 PM (#7696 - in reply to #6757)

Uber User

Had to add all seven author profiles and a publisher but they are up. A few of them already have books 2 and 3 out. Will have a look at those tomorrow.
bazhsw
Posted 2014-07-14 2:23 PM (#8186 - in reply to #6757)

Regular

I saw this press release earlier today;

http://www.lfs.org/releases.shtml

Very pleased for Bujold. Falling Free is a fantastic book and she deserves the accolade.
bazhsw
Posted 2014-07-14 2:24 PM (#8187 - in reply to #6757)

Regular

whoops double post (silly internet)

Edited by bazhsw 2014-07-14 2:34 PM
bazhsw
Posted 2014-07-14 2:24 PM (#8188 - in reply to #6757)

Regular

and nothing to see hear.... (sorry everyone)

Edited by bazhsw 2014-07-14 2:35 PM
Administrator
Posted 2015-04-30 11:16 PM (#10369 - in reply to #8188)

Admin

Hey look, it's a new award!  Enjoy!

Administrator
Posted 2015-05-01 8:37 AM (#10385 - in reply to #6757)

Admin

Bump.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2015-05-02 10:09 AM (#10409 - in reply to #6757)

Uber User

Found this site for the Moorcock Fantasy list, very interesting collection:

http://www.multiverse.org/wiki/index.php?title=Fantasy_-_The_100_Be...
Administrator
Posted 2015-05-02 11:23 AM (#10412 - in reply to #10409)

Admin

justifiedsinner - 2015-05-02 10:09 AM Found this site for the Moorcock Fantasy list, very interesting collection: http://www.multiverse.org/wiki/index.php?title=Fantasy_-_The_100_Be...

That would be worth adding to our list of lists!

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)