open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The way I see it, being dead is not terribly far off from being on a cruise ship. Most of your time is spent lying on your back. The brain has shut down. The flesh begins to soften. Nothing much new happens, and nothing is expected of you." ― Mary Roach, Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
- (Added by: Acknud)

Series A-Z Challenge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

daxxh
Posted 2015-06-10 11:41 PM (#10750)
Subject: Series A-Z Challenge
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Here's the thread for the Series A-Z Challenge.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Weesam
Posted 2015-06-11 2:20 AM (#10752 - in reply to #10750)
Subject: Re: Series A-Z Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Sounds interesting. A good way to read more of those series I've started and never finished.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2015-06-11 3:35 PM (#10754 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I'm going to start with A - F and see how far I get from there.
A - Afterblight Chronicles
B - Berserker
C - Chronicles of Amber
D - Discworld
E - Elijah Bailey
F - Finishing School

I agree with Weesam, I should probably go through and look at series I have only read a couple books from. This one would also work well with the read the sequel challenge (which I have already signed up for)
DrNefario
Posted 2015-06-12 7:17 AM (#10760 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I reckon I'll probably get more than half way just by reading what I was going to read anyway, but there will be some tricky letters that have almost nothing I want to read. For my alphabetical detective crime fiction challenge it was X and some of the vowels that gave me most trouble.

Still, it will need another extension to my spreadsheet.
DrNefario
Posted 2015-06-19 7:21 AM (#10820 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I've been through the alphabet and made notes, now, and it looks like the letters I am most struggling with are U, X, Y and Z.

With re-reads (are they allowable?) I can cover U, Y and Z. Otherwise I have a Y I'm not all that keen on, and I'm going to have to do some shopping for the others, unless I can find some things that aren't on the site.

I've also been wondering whether prefixes such as "Chronicles of", "Legend of", "Book of", etc should/could be ignored. They aren't ignored by WWE, is the alphabetical list here deemed to be the final judge?
daxxh
Posted 2015-06-19 9:40 PM (#10827 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

The only letter I had trouble with was Y. I have a few of The Year's Best Science Fiction anthologies, but am not looking forward to reading one straight through. I have so many series books on my TBR bookcase, that I don't need to re-read anything for this challenge, but I have no problem with other people re-reading books if they want to do that.

I hadn't really considered ignoring "Chronicles of," Legend of," or "Book of" in the series title since I have multiple books for a lot of the letters. I didn't need to do that to make a book fit. I have no problem if someone wants to count The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant as a T book (T for Thomas, not T for The) instead of a C book. Maybe I can find something more to my liking for Y if I do that.
DrNefario
Posted 2016-07-18 7:14 AM (#14035 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Three left, for me, having just finished Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey for K. I kept putting it off because it was very long, but I ended up enjoying it a lot.

I still don't have anything definite lined up for Z. I guess it's likely to be Children of the Sky by Vernor Vinge, but that doesn't seem to have had much of a release in the UK.

I'm a little bit unhappy with J (The "Jane Ellsworth" series is the Glamourist Histories series as far as I'm concerned), and N (New Solaris Book of Fantasy seems a bit of a dodge), but I'm only going to think about replacing them at the end if I feel I have time.
DrNefario
Posted 2016-11-09 4:44 AM (#14545 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I finished Children of the Sky last night to complete this challenge. Just in time for the end of civilisation.

Z had been giving me a bit of trouble, but then I discovered that my local library system had two copies of Children, and I ordered one in. I'm not sure it was ever actually published in the UK, this seems to be a US Tor hardback. Anyway, I enjoyed it once it got going, even though my memories of Fire Upon the Deep are hazy, to say the least. I don't think it's as good as the two 90s classics, but it was a decent enough read.
dustydigger
Posted 2016-11-11 3:58 AM (#14554 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Yay! Finished the Halphabet challenge,which leaves me with 8 books for my Pick N' Mix to finish off all 2016 challenges. Certainly I found this challenge pushed the envelope for me at times,trying to find something both available and likable for certain letters,but its not a method of choosing my reads that appeals.Maybe in a couple of years when I have got a lot more classics and award winners under my belt I can relax enough to appreciate such a challenge!
daxxh
Posted 2016-11-12 11:43 AM (#14561 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Congrats to DrNefario and dustydigger on recently finishing the challenge and to Weesam and Devilinlaw for finishing earlier! I am hoping to finish this over the holidays as I have a lot more time to read then. This challenge has allowed me to start more series that are now on my list to finish. I will definitely be doing the Read the Sequel Challenge again next year.

I swear I read A Fire Upon the Deep many many years ago, but when I was choosing books for this challenge, I found I couldn't remember anything about it, even after skimming through the book. I guess I didn't read it. I will be reading that one for Z and will have to read A Deepness in the Sky and Children of the Sky at some point since I own them. Maybe I need a "Read All the Books You Bought at Least 10 Years Ago and Never Read" Challenge for next year.
Weesam
Posted 2016-11-12 2:15 PM (#14565 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I think we all need a "Read All the Books You Bought at Least 10 Years Ago and Never Read" Challenge. Although it would have to run for multiple years because I know I couldn't read them all in a year!
daxxh
Posted 2016-12-28 9:15 PM (#14806 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Congrats to devilinlaw, DrNefario, dustydigger and Weesam for finishing the A-Z Challenge! I am almost done with my last book, Betrayer of Worlds, so I will finish before the challenge ends. This was fun - I read a lot of books from the giant TBR pile and started a bunch of series. Happy 2017 everyone!
DrNefario
Posted 2016-12-29 7:24 AM (#14814 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I enjoyed this one. I even managed to replac the two letters I was unhappy with just before the deadline:

J - previously Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal for the Jane Ellsworth series, now Janissaries by Jerry Pournelle. To be honest I much preferred the former; my problem with it is that I consider the series name to be the Glamourist Histories, and therefore a G.

N - previously Fearsome Journeys edited by Jonathan Strahan for the New Solaris Book of Fantasy series. I thought that felt a bit cheaty, using New like that, so I replaced it with The Drowning City by Amanda Downum for the Necromancer Chronicles.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)