open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent." - George Orwell
- (Added by: Administrator)

My World
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Welcome to Worlds Without End! -> New Features & NewsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2007-09-29 3:11 PM (#1092)
Subject: My World

Admin

hello again,

we're happy to announce a new feature called My World has just been added to WWEnd.

My World appears in the main menu once you've logged in.  it replaces the "Join Now!" link on the far right.  click My World to get your profile information and your lists!  the lists are the results of your novel tagging efforts.  they include:

- Favorite Books - all the novel you tagged as favorites on the novel page will be listed here in the order in which you tagged them.

- Reading List - anything you tagged to read later will appear in this list so you won't forget about the books you find interesting but don't have time for now.  any books you mark as "Reading" will be bolded in this list.

- Favorite Authors - you can now create a list of favorite authors by going to the member section in the author pages and tagging the author.

My World pages for other members can be viewed by clicking on the member's webhandle in the forum.  you'll be able to see your friends favorites lists and basic info.  this page replaces the control panel page in the forum.

we'll be adding new lists and features to My World as time goes on which will include:

- splitting the current lists into SF and Fantasy categories so you can have a favorites list for each genre

- watch lists so you can tag the novels and authors and publishers that you want to keep an eye on.  this will alert you to content changes like when a new review for a book you're interested in appears or when your favortite author gets a new bio update.

- a rating chart that will show all your novel ratings in a clickable bar graph so you can see which books you already rated.

let us know what you think of the new features!  your comments and suggestions are very valuable to us.  thanks!

- dave

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2007-11-19 2:09 PM (#1211 - in reply to #1092)
Subject: Re: My World

Admin

all, we've made some updates to the My World page. we added some info icons that you can mouseover to get instructions for the various lists and we took out the non-functioning edit links to avoid confusion. those links will reappear when we get the sorting function running. hopefully the instructions will clear up any misunderstanding about how to add items to your lists.

please let us know what you think. thanks.

- dave

Administrator
Posted 2008-09-08 10:22 AM (#1449 - in reply to #1211)
Subject: Re: My World Update

Admin

hello all,

we've made some changes to the My World page that we hope you'll all like.

- moved the lists into an accordion script so we can fit more on the page.  custom lists are coming soon!

- changed the lists from bullets to cover graphics lists like the award listings.  much cooler with the graphics!

- added author pics to the favorite authors list.  we don't have a whole lot of author pics yet but we're filling those in as time goes on.

take a look at my page to see how it looks if you haven't built your own lists.

- dave

Deven Science
Posted 2008-09-08 3:03 PM (#1451 - in reply to #1449)
Subject: Re: My World Update

Uber User

That's very cool, Dave, though I happen to like simple lists.
Administrator
Posted 2008-09-08 3:08 PM (#1453 - in reply to #1092)

Admin

hmmm. perhaps we can put in a toggle link so you can get your list without all the bells and whistles. i'll look into it.

- dave
Administrator
Posted 2011-01-26 11:11 PM (#2315 - in reply to #1453)

Admin

Hey all,

We just added a new list to the My World page.  Authors I've Read shows you all the authors for the books you've tagged as read.  The list is automatically generated so if you tag The Demolished Man as read you'll see Alfred Bester in your list.

Also, if we have an author that you've read, but we don't have the particular book you read by that author in our database, you can go to the author page and tag them manually and they'll show in your list. 

I really like this list a lot because I had no idea how many authors I had read.  I'm up to 79 in my list.  I might have guessed 50 or so.  How 'bout you?  How many WWEnd authors have you read?  Who are we missing that you think should be in our database?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)