open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Revolutions always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions." - Terry Pratchett
- (Added by: Administrator)

Sunshine
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

Generalfang
Posted 2007-08-08 11:29 PM (#887)
Subject: Sunshine

I saw this movie on Monday night. There were only 4 people in the theatre, but I suspect my brother and I were the only paying customers. It was OK, not fantastic. It was derivative of many other movies, but at least it was well done, if you can get over the original premise.

My concern was how poorly it was advertised. I never saw a trailer or a commercial for this film. I wouldn't have known anything about it if I didn't read the movie review in the DMN. Yet, Hollywood can market a so-called movie "Who's Your Caddy" and other disgraces.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2007-08-09 7:25 AM (#890 - in reply to #887)
Subject: Re: Sunshine

Admin

i often wonder why the studios invest money into a production but then let it die on the vine but not promoting. i can understand if it's a dog but this one has been garnering some pretty good reviews. was this a smaller studio move or outside of hollywood?

do you think they were relying on word of mouth and the internet to spread the word? i was only aware of the movie 'cause i regularly monitor sites like quicktime and SF blogs where genre fans do spread the word. maybe they considered it wasted effort if their sights we set low to begin with. had there been a big name attached like wil smith things would have been different.

i'm still going to try and see this one before it leaves theaters. i've got to support the movies that attempt to be more than cowboys in space lest they stop making them entirely.

- dave
icowrich
Posted 2007-08-09 8:35 PM (#898 - in reply to #887)
Subject: RE: Sunshine

Admin

The preview looks quite nice, and I am planning on seeing it soon. Relatively independent productions don't get the sort of hype that big films do, but I almost prefer it that way. It is like I am in on a secret. Still, quaity SF is extremely rare on the silver screen these days. I think there is money to be made changing that.
Administrator
Posted 2008-01-18 5:11 PM (#1287 - in reply to #887)

Admin

well, i finally saw Sunshine and boy what a let down that was. nice production values but the story was really terrible. so many inconsistencies and stupid little things that i did not enjoy it at all.

what's with the silly and pointless shift to horror movie 2/3 in? artificial plot device that made no sense. apparently the sun makes you crazy. good thing the crazy rays coming from the sun don't reach the earth. i hope he gets away from the sun-crazed monster intruder that the computer didn't think sufficiently odd to warn anyone about. crap.

that has to be, hands down, the worst spaceship computer ever. somtimes it would take over the ship beause it was in trouble sometimes it would let things slide. the guy makes a miscalculation and the computer doesn't catch it? we better drug him cause he might kill himself. pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. he's so obviously supposed to be the bad guy you just know he can't be.

some other things that made me wince besides the terrible acting and obvious set ups:

- only 1 guy knows how to arm the bomb? and you send him outside the ship to repair the shield panels? there's no redundancy on the ship at all.
- if the terminator line, and certain death, is getting closer to the panels you have to repair why would you start with the nearest to the hatch and then work towards the approaching line of death and further from the only hatch on the entire ship?
- they may as well have put red shirts on the captain and the 2nd officer. throwaway characters.
- nobody says anything to the guy with the pealing skin until he gets to the point where he looks like a leper? and he's the shrink?
- the genius discovers the intruder but doesn't bother telling the remaining crew about him?
- he then goes looking for him on his own and unarmed?
- he finds the guy in the solar room and he tries to shade his eyes from the devastating light of the sun instead of just telling the computer to shut the f'ing window?
- how long into the crazy guy's monolog do you have to get before you decide it might be a good idea to be elsewhere?
- crazy man can pick up a person up with one hand and dangle him over the abyss (how did that get designed into the ship anyway) but his flesh peals off when touched?
- they other guy dips his hand for a split second into the computer coolant and it feezes his hand in an early scene but he manages to submerge completely into the same liquid AND open his eyes AND maintain the dexterity in his hands necessary to operate his tools? AND he does it 3 times? why is his blood still liquid when he gets stuck? just stupid.

there are many more things like that throughout the movie. i was hoping for more to say the least. it was billed as a serious scince fiction movie ala 2001 for pete's sake! anybody else see it? i'd love to hear what other people thought of it.

- dave
Deven Science
Posted 2008-01-28 10:01 AM (#1294 - in reply to #1287)

Uber User

Wow. I was planning on watching it, until your review Dave. Thanks for the save.
Administrator
Posted 2008-01-28 11:34 AM (#1296 - in reply to #887)

Admin

i'm glad i could save you a couple bucks but i'm also kinda bummed you haven't seen it. based on your writings on your blog site i would love to hear your take on it!

it's one of those movies that's so bad you can have endless fun tearing it apart. think battlefield earth. of course it's not as bad as the piece of drek but you get the idea.

- dave
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)