open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I'm not a yellow card. I don't have anything to fear." Hock Seng makes himself smile in return, thinking that she does not know how little anyone cares to separate wheat from chaff, when all anyone wants to do is burn a field. - The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
- (Added by: Administrator)

To count or not to count?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Rhondak101
Posted 2014-10-06 8:53 AM (#8678)
Subject: To count or not to count?
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hi All,

This weekend I abandoned a book, Mindscape, by Andrea Hairston. I was over 1/3 of the way through. I've written a review explaining why I simply could not stick with this book. This is the first challenge book that I have ever abandoned. I was wondering what you guys do: do you count the book towards your challenge if you made a valiant attempt or do you find another to replace it? I think I'm going to try to find another, but since time is getting short , I was wondering what others generally do. 

Thanks,

Rhonda 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2014-10-06 9:45 AM (#8679 - in reply to #8678)
Subject: RE: To count or not to count?
Quote Reply

Admin

Rhondak101 - 2014-10-06 8:53 AM This weekend I abandoned a book, Mindscape, by Andrea Hairston. I was over 1/3 of the way through. I've written a review explaining why I simply could not stick with this book.

At 1/3 through I would count it as read for sure and if I was to count it as read I think it would count towards my challenge.  And you reviewed it too.  I would mark that one done and off my list and move on to the next.  You gave it a go and couldn't finish it.  That's penalty enough in my mind.

justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-10-06 10:28 AM (#8680 - in reply to #8678)
Subject: Re: To count or not to count?
Quote Reply

Uber User

Indeed, if the book sucks scan the last few pages to see how it ended and call it a day. Life, and the Challenge deadline, is far too short.
daxxh
Posted 2014-10-06 11:13 AM (#8681 - in reply to #8680)
Subject: Re: To count or not to count?
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

I will count the book as read if I get 1/2 way through it and not count it if I get less than 1/2 way. I hate not finishing a book. I plowed through The Drowning Girl, mostly because I was stuck on a plane and that was the last unread book I had with me. I plowed through All Those Vanished Engines because I was hoping that one would get better. If you went to the trouble of reviewing it, I would count it for the challenge. I like justifiedsinner's outlook. I have too many challenge books to read before the end of the year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)