open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I have never thought about myself. Living or dying, they're the same thing. Because naturally, Life is not in this little body. What matters is the way in which we live and the message we leave behind. That is what survives us. That is immortality. -- Rita Levi-Montalcini
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Audiobooks
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

TreverT
Posted 2007-09-20 6:11 AM (#1063)
Subject: Audiobooks

Dunno what to suggest regarding this, but it may be worthwhile to have some separate area on individual book pages for commentary on the audiobook version. Audiobooks are gradually becoming a really big part of the book market, and sometimes/often there will be things specific to an audiobook that either enhance or detract from the book itself. For two good examples:

The audiobooks of Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy are absolutely fantastic. They're narrated by the author, who is an excellent reader, but they go one further by having a full cast of actors reading for the different story characters, and it really enhances the audiobook experience. The voices fit the characters perfectly and overall it add an extra depth of emotion.

The audiobook version of Dean Koontz's "Frankenstein" is downright painful. I can't honestly say if the book might have been entertaining in its own right or not, but the reader so monotonously emphasizes nearly EVERY OTHER LINE as if it were SOMETHING REALLY CRUCIAL even if the character is just EATING HIS BREAKFAST CEREAL.... Well, you get the idea.

I do the majority of my "reading" via audiobook these days. I got hooked when I worked as a sales rep and spent my days driving long distances, and now I enjoy them in the workshop during prolonged periods of repetitive work. It lets me enjoy new books on an ongoing, quick basis that I would otherwise have a tough time finding time for.

Perhaps a separate area on the forum? Or a specific comment box on book descriptions?

Listening to a Harlan Ellison audiobook read by Harlan Ellison is possibly the closest one might get to being in a hurricane-force wind tunnel...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
luke.lewandowski
Posted 2007-09-20 7:31 AM (#1065 - in reply to #1063)
Subject: Re: Audiobooks

I truly agree. I have been experimenting with audiobooks myself too. I reread the whole Ender Saga by OSC in audio, on my iPod on my way to work sometime ago and I liked it very much. I also experimented with some freebies: a podcast novel 'Ancestor' by Scott Siegler (the novel itself is rather simple, but the interpretation by the author was great). In general though, I prefer audio format for short stories and that is why I love podcasts such as Escape Pod or Peudopod. I extremely enjoyed 'BURN' by James Patrick Kelly (NEBULA WINNER), read by the author. I someone hasn't read / listened to it, just do it.

A place for audio version review would probably be great for some (and frankly, it's just a couple of lines of code and fields in the database), although not a must have at the moment.
Administrator
Posted 2007-09-29 3:37 PM (#1097 - in reply to #1063)

Admin

audio books are something that's not really on our radar at this time. our current concentration is on the written word in novel form but going forward we will definately put this in. to my mind this is not a must have either but if enough members tell me it is then we'll have to re-evaluate our time frame for this feature.

one of my favorites was a bbc audio production of The Lord of the Rings. very entertaining tho it was more of a radio production than a straight reading if i recall. hmmm, not sure if that would be considered an audio book at all actually.

- dave
danmac
Posted 2010-04-12 10:08 AM (#1844 - in reply to #1063)

New User

I agree, the spoken word is returning to prominence. It was new technologies--first of reading and writing, and then of printing--that caused the demise of the spoken word. Now it is new technologies that are reincarnating the spoken word. Yet now the spoken word is most often read from a script, book, or manuscript--where as most of the original pieces of writing were transcribed from the oral tradition. I find it all fascinating. The oldest forms of reading and writing evolved out of tracking. We tracked animals, each other, the stars and seasons, and wind, water, and glacial movements, etc.. We also learned how to leave specific tracks and sign that had specific, symbolic meaning. Thus evolved our large brains--from practicing "primitive skills." Ancient oral stories evolved, ever entwined with the technologies of the day. From animal tracks and scratches on trees, conveyed by voices on ancient winds--to the mind boggle of fonts, audio recorders, and internet broadcast possible today. Rather than taking anything away from the written word, I think modern technology gives it more possibilities. When we have no time for reading we may still enjoy a reading while trapped in a commute to work--or while performing a tedious task, as the previous commenter mentioned. Being a father and a teacher, I know how much kids love to listen. It helps to expose them to greater literature than would be possible for many. And by opening the world of literature to young people, through oration, their inspiration for reading grows. I have recorded a novel of my own--and though rather raw and low tech--am finding with the hectic schedules of the modern age, I get more listeners than readers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)