open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I might have made a tactical error not going to a physician for 20 years. It was one of those phobias that didn't pay off." ― Warren Zevon
- (Added by: Acknud)

SF/F films coming down the pipe
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2007-12-18 10:12 PM (#1255)
Subject: SF/F films coming down the pipe

Admin

it seems there is no lack of SF/F films in the works.  a few movies that look interesting for 2008:

Jumper - looks like jaunting to me!

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem - never saw the first one.  maybe they can turn it around this time.

The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep - looks like a good one for the kids

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale - that stratham guy is all over the place.  can they make the title a little longer?

Cloverfield - is that the actual name of the movie?  hollywood takes another shot at the statue of liberty...

The Spiderwick Chronicles - preview looks ok...

10,000 B.C. - oh my, the special effects!

Iron Man - nuff said.

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - the first was good but not what i would call "epic"

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - fan-boy drool time.  that's Mr. Ford to you!

The Incredible Hulk - yes, another one... but this time with edward norton.  you remember him, right?

WALL·E - bow to Pixar

Hancock - Will Smith as a superhero?

The Dark Knight - i'm expecting great things of this one!  check out the bat-cycle!

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - can they bring this one back from the dead?  can brendan fraser make a movie without mummy in the title?

it's a good time to be a fan of SF/F!  did i miss any?

- dave

Top of the page Bottom of the page
dthmw3
Posted 2007-12-22 7:54 AM (#1256 - in reply to #1255)
Subject: RE: SF/F films coming down the pipe

Has anyone seen "I am legend"? I am looking for a holiday movie. Any recommendations?
Administrator
Posted 2007-12-22 1:09 PM (#1257 - in reply to #1256)
Subject: Re: SF/F films coming down the pipe

Admin

my wife and i saw I am Legend a few days ago. it's a pretty solid sf action movie. Will Smith was excellent. there's a gravity to his performance that comes across in the long stretches where there's no dialog.

i've never read the original story but from what i understand the movie is taken more from Omega Man than from the book. Legend is less heavy handed than Omega. in Omega Man it was a biological weapon that doomed the planet. in Legend it's a cure for cancer that mutates into the KV virus.

it's pretty formula but the effects are nicely done though obviously computer generated. the scenery of a deserted new york is really creapy. the Night Seekers are a nasty bunch of vampires rather than blue faced zombies. will is reaching his limit and going a little crazy when in pops the gorgeous chick... some fun bits to look for in the signs around the city like a superman and batman movie poster etc.

the movie is pretty bleak but they have the typical cause for hope ending with a cure at hand tho it's hard to imagine a "cure" for the night seekers. what must their mental state be like after being mutated into canibalistic vampires that likely fed on family and neighbors?

there are lots of holes but it's still a fun movie and worth the effort.

- dave
Administrator
Posted 2007-12-26 2:47 PM (#1258 - in reply to #1257)

Admin

i forgot to add Hellboy II: The Golden Army

loved the first one and this one looks pretty good!

- dave

Deven Science
Posted 2007-12-28 4:59 PM (#1259 - in reply to #1255)
Subject: RE: SF/F films coming down the pipe

Uber User

Saw The Water Horse. It was cute, but very formulaic, complete with a Free Willy ending.

I'm so looking forward to Indy IV and The Dark Knight! I think Heath Ledger is going to be a brilliant Joker, and while the latest trailer didn't blow me away, the posters do.
Administrator
Posted 2007-12-28 5:09 PM (#1261 - in reply to #1255)

Admin

i've been pleasantly surprised by the bits i've seen with heath ledger! there was a pirated scene i found online that had the joker robbing a bank. brutal scene. looked really good but it was obviously handycam footage taken at a screening not exactly high def. still, it gives me hope that he's taking this role and making it his own. fingers crossed....

- dave
dthmw3
Posted 2008-01-16 8:15 AM (#1279 - in reply to #1261)

I can't wait for the next Batman movie. This writers strike is destroying my TV watching. I miss heroes. Did anyone see the dungeon seige movie?
Administrator
Posted 2008-01-16 8:44 AM (#1280 - in reply to #1255)

Admin

what?! you don't like the glut of "reality" TV since the strike began?

dark knight is the one i'm looking forward to most tho i'm trying to keep my expectations low in case they fall into the sophamore trap and try too hard to out-do the first movie.

haven't seen the name of the king flick. i'm not holding out much hope that it's any good. if somebody tells me different i might give it a go.

- dave
christopherw277
Posted 2008-01-16 10:45 AM (#1282 - in reply to #1280)

Extreme Veteran

I heard the Alien vs Predator flick is just ho- hum.

Heath Ledger, as the Joker? I dunno, Jack Nicholson has got a lock on that character I think.

And if Edward Norton is going to be in the next Hulk movie I full expect him to get squashed in the first five minutes.

Okay, I'm being too negative... can't wait for Indy IV!! Woo- hoo! (Original title: Indiana Jones and the Walker of Doom).

Deven Science
Posted 2008-01-16 11:24 AM (#1283 - in reply to #1282)

Uber User

I heard the Alien vs Predator flick is just ho- hum.

I haven't bothered to watch them.

Heath Ledger, as the Joker? I dunno, Jack Nicholson has got a lock on that character I think.

I disagree. Jack's Joker was fun, but silly, and he didn't fit the part, physically. My dream Joker would've been Crispen Glover, though he could be an excellent Riddler, as well. Heath is playing Joker as he was first introduced, as a true sociopathic killer. I feel that he's going to be the best Joker yet in film.

And if Edward Norton is going to be in the next Hulk movie I full expect him to get squashed in the first five minutes.

How so? Edward Norton rules, and he'll play Banner very well. That said, I'm still meh about it, as the Hulk was never one of my favorites.

Okay, I'm being too negative... can't wait for Indy IV!!

Spielberg knows what he's doing. I agree that Indy IV will be all kinds of awesome.

dthmw3
Posted 2008-01-16 1:43 PM (#1284 - in reply to #1283)

I don't know about Ed Norton becoming very angry. it's not easy being green. I personally am looking forward to Ironman. Although Robert Downey Jr. doesn't look scary either maybe he'll add some comedy. If this writer's strike continues I might have to try to get into Stargate Atlantis.
Administrator
Posted 2008-01-16 2:27 PM (#1285 - in reply to #1255)

Admin

the clip of heath ledger as joker that's floating around the internets looks promising to me. gritty and insane. definately more so than jack but i think it's more a difference in the tone of the latest "dark knight" incarnation and the original more campy versions. remember the stupidity of things like the bat plane's inexplicable giant wirecutters? what? just in case somebody use parade baloons as a delivery device for a deadly poison attack? pu-lease! i still think they didn't take it far enough. i'd rather batman be more vigilante.

never saw the first hulk but i really like norton so i'm interested to see where he takes bruce banner.

dthmw3, good luck with atlantis. i liked the original stargate but atlantis is to me is just a copy. same character types, same stories.

- dave
christopherw277
Posted 2008-06-13 1:58 PM (#1383 - in reply to #1285)

Extreme Veteran

Anyone seen "The Hulk" yet? It's actually gotten good reviews, I think!

- CDW
Administrator
Posted 2008-06-13 2:27 PM (#1384 - in reply to #1255)

Admin

going to see hulk this weekend. my expections are low for this one but i have hope it won't just suck.

from the original list above i've only seen Iron Man, which i thought was bad ass, and Indy 4 which was ok. everything else looks to be a bust.

- dave
Deven Science
Posted 2008-06-13 2:58 PM (#1385 - in reply to #1384)

Uber User

I agree with you, Dave. Iorn Man was all kinds of awesome, and I liked Indiana Jones and the Kindom blah blah blah, I didn't love it. It was worthy, but it was down there with Temple of Doom. Too much CG to ruin the shots. Prairie Dogs? Really? Bah! I'm not looking forward to the Hulk movie, so the next couple I'm waiting for is The Dark Night, and Wall*E.
Administrator
Posted 2008-06-13 3:18 PM (#1386 - in reply to #1255)

Admin

the thing about Indy is i really enjoyed myself at the theater. the prarie dogs and the alien angle threw me a bit as did the tarzan bits in the jungle with the bad CG but it wasn't till after i starting thinking about it that it went downhill for me. the lesson? turn off your brain for 2 hours and you'll have a good time. then try not to think about it too much after else you'll kill the buzz.

- dave
christopherw277
Posted 2008-06-14 12:28 PM (#1387 - in reply to #1386)

Extreme Veteran

I think you're right there... it had the great Indy look and feel, but at first the alien plot kind of left me thinking, what the heck?

And the whole nuclear explosion... was it really just to have Indy super- imposed in front of the mushroom cloud? (Cause... wouldn't he be, like, dead from radiation?)

And... who were the weird little guys that attacked them in the graveyard? Never explained.

But I think you're right, ya just have to turn off your brain, and think of it like a pulp novel, and then it works just fine.

Can't wait to see the Dark Knight... I think Heath Ledger will be great.
Administrator
Posted 2008-06-14 10:44 PM (#1388 - in reply to #1255)

Admin

just got back from seeing Hulk. that was a pretty damn good movie! production was good, good acting, some really cool scenes etc. the cg was pretty good tho not "fool the eye" quality.

there wre the usual problems: some scenes had people where there should not have been people and some had no people where you would expect a bunch of people. that sort of thing. but not as bad as Transformers where nobody saw a damn thing ever.

all in all, pleasantly surprised. a tip if you go see it.... there is nothing to see after the credits so you can leave shen they start rolling.

- dave
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)