open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore." - Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
- (Added by: Administrator)

The Future of Science Fiction TV...
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2008-01-17 9:06 AM (#1286)
Subject: The Future of Science Fiction TV...

Admin

SF Signal has an interesting article about the Sci-Fi channel

The Future of Science Fiction TV is NOT the Sci Fi Channel

- dave

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Deven Science
Posted 2008-01-28 11:55 AM (#1297 - in reply to #1286)
Subject: RE: The Future of Science Fiction TV...

Uber User

I've always thought that the Sci-Fi Channel has flubbed what they'll trying to do. My thoughts on it, as written by me on Slice of Sci-fi:

I can't say this any simpler, I totally agree on every level, and thought it from the day they opened up shop. When I first heard of the creation of the Sci-Fi Channel, I was distressed to see that they didn't even show “Star Trek” episodes at the time. They consistently show the worst of Science Fiction, making themselves into the equivalent of the horrible 50s nuclear movies that was just as embarrassing to SF authors back then. I've wanted to start my own SF channel forever, just to show people how much potential the idea really has. I watch NOTHING on the Sci-Fi Channel. The channel needs to be re-booted in the same way that comics are, and start over with a fresh batch of ideas.
Administrator
Posted 2008-01-28 3:50 PM (#1298 - in reply to #1286)
Subject: Re: The Future of Science Fiction TV...

Admin

the sci-fi channel is a betrayal of the genre and those who create and yearn for great science fiction. instead of carrying the torch for the genre they've decided to confirm every stereotype. they've put the "skiffy" back in sci-fi.

the un-initiated go to their channel and they assume that the drek they find there must be the best of the genre. why would they create a whole channel dedicated to sci-fi and show anything less? shows like Flash Gordon or "Mansquito" confirm the stereotype that sci-fi is for misfits and geeks. that is isn't serious literature. that is has nothing to say about the human condition.

what the sci-fi channel has going for it is the fact that most fans will watch marginal or even crap sci-fi because that seems to be the only thing on offer. it's a shame really. i wonder if the kind of channel we want is even possible.

- dave
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)