open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: But since you have put a question to me, I can ask one in return. Are you sure - really sure - you know who told you this story? - Peter Straub (Mr X)
- (Added by: pauljames)

Primer
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

Deven Science
Posted 2008-01-30 3:30 PM (#1299)
Subject: Primer

Uber User

Has anyone else seen Primer? I watched it because it's available on Instant Play for NetFlix, and it turned out to be a great thinking movie. The plot got a bit convoluted, so that I didn't fully track it at some parts, but the deliberately slower pacing allowed you catch up. And after reading it's Wikipedia page, and seeing that it only cost seven grand to make, I'm even more impressed. Yeah, it's got no real special effects, and only a handful of shot locations, both of which keep the production cost down. But even still, I love that quality, thought provoking movies can be made, without spending a hundred million dollars.

I recommend to anyone on this site (who seem to be the more intellectual type) to NetFlix this movie, and give it a fair shot.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2008-01-30 4:46 PM (#1302 - in reply to #1299)
Subject: Re: Primer

Admin

i've seen Primer and i agree with your assesment. i quite enjoyed it despite, or maybe because of, the low tech/low budget. it just proves that good movies can be made without spending millions. it did get a little convoluted but that's normal for a time travel movie. i loved that the time machine was a do it yourself box made with spare parts made in a guys garage instead of the usual glowing giant machine spewing fog in a secret government underground lab. i like that the makers did not feel like that had to spoon feed us the story.

you know, Primer is exactly the kind of thing i wish Sci-Fi channel would try to do. surely they can afford to produce moveis like that. hell, they could create a market for those types of indie movies. great concept, low budget, decent acting, intelligent movies made by up and coming directors. they could add a few grand to bump up the effects and still afford to buy a bunch for the price of one of their crappy snake movies.

- dave
Deven Science
Posted 2008-01-30 5:01 PM (#1304 - in reply to #1302)

Uber User

Dave,

What's your e-mail? I'd like to invite you to be a NetFlix Friend of mine. you can send it privately if it's an e-mail address that you don't give out normally.
Administrator
Posted 2008-01-30 5:09 PM (#1305 - in reply to #1299)

Admin

PM sent.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)