open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Beware of literature.--Jean-Paul Sartre (Nausea)
- (Added by: JohnBem)

Jericho
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

jynnantonnyx
Posted 2008-02-21 5:43 PM (#1322)
Subject: Jericho

Uber User

This isn't exactly a sci-fi show, but since it was picked up by the Sci-Fi channel I suppose it's worth discussion. Jericho's a what-if political thriller set in an alternate history where most major American cities were nuked in 2006. Jericho is a town in the hilliest part of Kansas ever found, and one of the few places not greatly affected by the nukes. The first season was a bit slow and unfocused, but the current second season is compressing a whole season's worth of plot into 7 episodes because it's a mid-season replacement. All of their episodes are available online to stream.

It's more of an action show than a thinking show, but it's worth checking out, in spite of Skeet Ulrich.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2008-03-05 6:26 PM (#1330 - in reply to #1322)
Subject: Re: Jericho

Admin

now that i'm finished with the Sarah Conner Chronicles i'l give Jericho a try.

alternate history? nukler aftermath? that's sci-fi, my friend. who'd have believed that the Sci-Fi channel would actually air sci-fi!? what with all the ghosts and wrestling....

- dave
Administrator
Posted 2008-03-09 9:15 PM (#1332 - in reply to #1322)

Admin

well i've watched 4 episodes of Jericho so far and i have to say i like it.

it is a bit thin for sc-fi - beyond the bombs it's just a disaster drama - but it's pretty good just the same. much better than i was expecting. the acting is better than ok, the story moves along at a pretty good pace and the situations are fairly realistic... if you can forgive them the prison bus escapees and the bar full of patrons that don't act concerned until they are suddenly part of the story.

some impression so far:

- there's a bit too much of the soap opera for my liking. all the who's shagging who and the teen angst subplot is worthless and from what i hear it only gets worse.

- the "tumbleweed jake" turns into "hero jake" is going to get a little old i think. is there nothing he can't do? hell, even his old man is pleased with him. and you know what a hard ass he is!

- what the hell happened with the fallout?

- the mysterious stranger with all the answers subplot is pretty cool. i do want to see where that thread is going and what's in the barrel?

- i really like that we don't get the whole story from some kind of subplot narrative from the authorities perspective or from the news media. keeps the mystery alive. i like the piecemeal reveal of the details.

so i guess i'm fairly well hooked now. i can see why folks were up in arms when it was canceled.

- dave

jynnantonnyx
Posted 2008-03-10 4:30 PM (#1334 - in reply to #1332)

Uber User

Jericho is strategically placed to miss most of the fallout. This is one of the reasons certain people and groups keep showing up at the town. In any case, I'm guessing the bombs weren't "dirty" bombs, so the mutant population in the States will probably remain low.

Jake and Hawkins both get some pretty neat reveals towards the end of the first season (and a slight retcon in Jake's case).
jynnantonnyx
Posted 2008-03-27 11:31 AM (#1343 - in reply to #1322)

Uber User

Sadly, Jericho has been canceled. There are talks of moving it to cable or continuing the story in novels/comics, but my best guess is that this season is the end.
Administrator
Posted 2008-03-27 12:21 PM (#1345 - in reply to #1322)

Admin

yeah too bad about that!

i'm on episode 12 (i think) of the first season. the story wanders quite a bit. the whole episode of the hot chick pining for her missed wedding? yikes, what crap! and of course, just when she's decided to move on, here comes her fiance back from the dead. can't just skip tho cause there's other plot stuff i can't miss or i'd be lost.

i hear season 2 is better about sticking to the story.

- dave

jynnantonnyx
Posted 2008-03-27 1:03 PM (#1347 - in reply to #1322)

Uber User

Yes, season 2 is all plot, all the time.
jynnantonnyx
Posted 2008-03-31 11:10 AM (#1350 - in reply to #1347)

Uber User

Just finished watching season 2 over the weekend. This season has the pacing of an action film rather than your usual tv series, which I think is a great change. It's well worth a watch, and it goes out with a bang.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)