open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Any sufficiently profound magical event is indistinguishable from technology. (Reverse of Clarke's third Law) -- Jeffrey Kripal (The Super Natural)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Lost
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

jynnantonnyx
Posted 2008-03-27 11:55 AM (#1344)
Subject: Lost

Uber User

I'm surprised there's no thread on this show already. I've been watching the first three seasons on DVD over the last month, and it's addictive, if a bit schlocky. So basically there's this island filled with models who act like idiots and who run into all sorts of sci-fi and pseudo-religious things. It's more of a soap opera or a mystery series than a sci-fi show, but it's definitely "genre" storytelling.

I could certainly do without the incessant flashbacks, which act as filler (or as I like to call them, narrative brakes) while things inch along on the island. By the beginning of the third season (where I'm at), the plane crash survivors have only been on the island for about three months, while the flashbacks cover decades of back-story for even minor characters. Usually the flashbacks are only moderately interesting and only rarely contribute something substantial to the overall plot. An exception is a season three "time travel" flashback, which is actually cool.

Anyone else seen this show? Love it? Hate it?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2008-03-27 12:23 PM (#1346 - in reply to #1344)
Subject: Re: Lost

Admin

i've been curious about this show but i have such a backlog of shows i never got to watch this one just has not made the cut. after jericho, i'm going to hit battle star galactica. hard to find time for all these shows!

- dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)