open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it." - George Orwell
- (Added by: Administrator)

Science Fiction not Literature?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

icowrich
Posted 2009-02-01 3:16 PM (#1571)
Subject: Science Fiction not Literature?

Admin

Return to publisher page.I was shocked - shocked! - the this week to learn that Tor Books has a blog. Well, not so much shocked that they have a blog as the fact that Ididn't know about it....especially since its URL is www.tor.com. What really surprised me is that the blog isn't exclusively about books (the top post on Sunday was about Battlestar Galacica), and that it is not limited to science fiction.

In fact, the post that caught my eye announced the death of John Updike. This, of course, is big news in the world of any fan of literature (speculative or not), but it was an anecdote at the end of the post that really got my blood boiling. You see, one might get away with talking about John Updike on a site like tor.com, if you referenced some of his more surreal work, like the Centaur, which they did, of course. That, however, buys you no credibility among some literati. What do I mean? Here's the money quote:

"A Harvard professor had said something dismissive about science fiction, and a colleague reminded her that she had taught The Left Hand of Darkness.

'Thats true,' she explained patiently, 'but thats not science fiction. Its literature.'

Oooo...that makes me sooo aaangwy.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jynnantonnyx
Posted 2009-02-05 8:49 AM (#1574 - in reply to #1571)
Subject: RE: Science Fiction not Literature?

Uber User

The problem is that "genre" storytelling and "realistic" storytelling have been unwisely separated for centuries. Ever since Don Quixote, so-called serious novelists have usually considered fantastic elements as things to be mocked rather than used in art. Things like science fiction and fantasy have been kept in the fringe by the literary elite, while they write about family funerals and sordid love affairs.

Occasionally you'll get respected novelists like Gabriel García Márquez who use fantastic elements, only to have a new category created for it: "magical realism" (because they can't call it fantasy). I'd like to see the materialistic streak taken out of "serious literature," if only to open the windows and let in some fresh air.

jynnantonnyx
Posted 2009-02-11 2:27 PM (#1580 - in reply to #1571)

Uber User

There's a relevant article on the Guardian. Some excerpts:

Literary readers will probably recognise The Road by Cormac McCarthy, one of the sections of Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway, Stone Gods by Jeanette Winterson and Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood from their descriptions above. All of these novels use the tropes of what most people recognise as science fiction, but their authors or publishers have taken great pains to ensure that they are not categorised as such.
It's this cartoon imagery of science fiction that least appeals to serious writers and readers. Or, as Margaret Atwood put it more bluntly and infamously: "Science fiction is rockets, chemicals and talking squids in outer space."
Perhaps the problem is that our present has caught up with the future presented to us by the pioneers of science fiction. Back in the 40s and 50s, when bright-and-shiny/dark-and-dangerous futures were given to us by the pulps, they were truly beyond anyone's ken. Now we are actually living in a science fiction future, is it fair to label a novel that extrapolates from what is possible today to what will probably be possible tomorrow, such as Oryx and Crake, as a flight of fancy, no more than a fairy story?

lujhu
Posted 2009-08-26 1:11 PM (#1697 - in reply to #1580)

New User

This is an interesting thread. I came to this site looking for book recommendations. I've only read a few science fiction books (Ender's Game, Dune, 2001 and some Asimov). I'm in a book club right now and I'd like to recommend a science fiction book for us, but I'm not sure where to start.

To give you an idea of our tastes, our last few books have been 'Blood Meridian', 'Death in the Afternoon', 'White Tiger' and the 'Cellist of Sarejevo'. We are currently reading 'Rabbit, Run'.

Could someone here suggest a suitable sci-fi book for a group of non sci-fi readers?

Thanks!
Administrator
Posted 2009-08-26 1:32 PM (#1698 - in reply to #1697)

Admin

lujhu - Could someone here suggest a suitable sci-fi book for a group of non sci-fi readers? Thanks!

First, welcome to WWEnd!  This site's main focus is helping people find the best the genre has to offer so you've come to the right place.  If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly or post them here in the forum.

To answer your question, here are a some books that come readily to mind for your club:

A Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter M. Miller, Jr. - This is simply a fabulous book.  Sixteen ratings on the site so far and it's sitting at 9.5 on a 10 scale so it's got wide appeal.  Lots to discuss in this book.

The Sparrow - Mary Doria Russell - Another great SF book that will engender discussion.  This book is one that will stick with you long after you read it.  Read the excerpt on this one.

Calculating God - Robert J. Sawyer - This one is light of the tech side and very approachable for the SF novice.  Again, read the excerpt.  It really hooked me.

Hope that helps.

lujhu
Posted 2009-08-26 1:50 PM (#1699 - in reply to #1698)

New User

Thanks for the quick response and the great suggestions. I've actually read 'Calculating God' but neglected to mention it before.

I've never heard of the the others but they look really interesting. I'll be sure to check them out, if not with my book club, then on my own.

cheers!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)