open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "If the truth doesn't save us, what does that say about us?" - Lois McMaster Bujold - Diplomatic Immunity
- (Added by: Administrator)

District 9
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

jynnantonnyx
Posted 2009-08-19 8:52 AM (#1691)
Subject: District 9

Uber User

Saw this over the weekend and loved it. I've posted a review on my blog. Here's an excerpt:

We live in a generation when filmmakers indulge in examining man’s inhumanity to man in Nazi holocaust films, and it is not too far a leap to believe that such hatred could be leveled against our first visitors from another planet. If the prawns had come in force and with a grand display of technology and culture, the earth would doubtless have welcomed them with open arms and magnanimous gestures. We know ourselves best by the way we treat those who have nothing to offer except that which we can steal from them. The aliens are nicknamed prawns because they are seen as bottom-feeders, but are their human masters any higher when they steal alien weaponry and even alien biology? Who is the bottom-feeder then?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Deven Science
Posted 2010-02-09 10:55 PM (#1778 - in reply to #1691)
Subject: RE: District 9

Uber User

This was straight up, one of the best films of 2009. I'm glad it got 3 Oscar noms, though I doubt it'll win any of them.
Wintermute
Posted 2010-03-24 8:41 PM (#1823 - in reply to #1778)
Subject: RE: District 9

I saw this movie the day after I saw Avatar and found it remarkable how important an original story is. Essentially the same plot points were in both movies: human, among aliens, human learns aliens not too bad, other humans not too good, redemption, hope. One movie had spectacular effects, the other did not. But one movie arranged those familiar plot points in a wholly original way (District 9) and in the end that made all the difference.

I absolutely loved District 9. I loved how the protagonist repeatedly was given the option to do the right thing and repeatedly failed. This was a normal man, not some superhero soldier. So it was a real surprise to me that in the end the guy finally did do the right thing. In Avatar I knew how the movie was going to end.

I am rambling.

What I'm trying to say is that good story trumps good effects, even effects that are transcendental. I have to take a look at my list of favorite movies but District 9 must be my favorite of all time - or thereabouts.

District 9 > Avatar
Administrator
Posted 2010-03-24 9:10 PM (#1824 - in reply to #1691)
Subject: Re: District 9

Admin

Wintermute: I agree. You just can't ignore the story if you want to make a film that people will remember.

Avatar is utterly forgettable story wise. So much cliche. No surprises. Was there ever any doubt Jake would ride the big dragon thing once they showed the skull? Was the General guy ever going to win an ounce of sympathy as a human being? Every conversation about Avatar starts out with "The special effects were amazing BUT...." It's a book with a beautiful cover but no substance. But man, what a cover!

District 9, while it had it's flaws, was an honest attempt to make a great film. Some surprises and some originality in that one. Low budget and raw just like the shanty town at it's center. Believable special effects and some good acting. It's a book with a ratty and tattered cover with a few missing pages that you can't put down.

If you have not see it already you should check out Moon. That's the best SF movie of the year IMO. Sam Rockwell's performance is just fantastic. Filmed for under $5mill and in just over a month. Amazing.
Wintermute
Posted 2010-03-24 9:21 PM (#1825 - in reply to #1824)

I saw it. I very much enjoyed it. I would say, "I loved it" but that's not quite accurate because I loved District 9 and Moon didn't quite reach that level for me. Nevertheless I absolutely agree with you - how about that music? The score was haunting. Here's the trailer if anyone wants to hear those plaintive tones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuScTcDP_Q 

Man on moon knows he is alone.  Man on moon learns there may be another person on moon.  Man on moon learns there may be many other people on moon.

Talk about freaking out!

htaccess
Posted 2010-03-25 6:23 PM (#1826 - in reply to #1825)

Veteran

As I kid I absolutely loved Fantasy/SF books, movies and TV but as I got older I have enjoyed SF/Fantasy TV and movies less and less while if anything I love reading SF even more than I did as a kid. These days there are no TV shows I find even remotely compelling but there are still occasionally films that I enjoy and District 9 is one of them.

I've wondered why this is and i think that in general TV is more homogeneous and formulaic than movies and movies more homogeneous and formulaic than books (in general terms). TV and to a lesser extent movies seem much more likely to be simple minded projections of the US military into space. The same space marine theme also seems to be very prevalent in games. I find movies like District 9 and games like Sid Meyers Alpha Century very refreshing, I guess thats why I love Ken MacLeods Fall Revolution series ...

That said books can be very formulaic and simplistic too as he points out in this blog post

Edited by htaccess 2010-03-25 6:39 PM
Pierre
Posted 2010-05-16 5:13 PM (#2049 - in reply to #1691)

Tthe Nebula Award for movies, District 9 got the Bradbury Award for 2009 best dramatic production. This is a fine choice.

http://www.nebulaawards.com/index.php/guest_blogs/sfwa_announces_20...
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-16 7:14 PM (#2051 - in reply to #1826)

Admin

htaccess - 2010-03-25 6:23 PM  These days there are no TV shows I find even remotely compelling but there are still occasionally films that I enjoy and District 9 is one of them.

I've wondered why this is and i think that in general TV is more homogeneous and formulaic than movies and movies more homogeneous and formulaic than books (in general terms).

I agree with you and I think it's interesting to see the direct correlation in level of effort required for each media type and the baseline level of sophistication in the entertainment offered.

TV:  You don't even have to leave the house.  Plop down on the couch and turn off your brain for a few blissful hours after a hard day's work.  You don't even have to know what's on or when.  Power-up and start clicking.  You can find something to watch and it doesn't even have to be good.  SyFy knows this and they thrive because of it.  They could buy stories from Harlan Ellison or PKD and make thoughtful and challenging shows but they choose not to.  Instead we get Mega Shark, Ghost Hunters and wrestling.

Movies: Generally, you've got to get out of the house to see 'em in first run.  You have to invest a bit of effort to see what's out and when it's playing and where and you often have to make arrangements for the kids or to coordinate with friends etc.  Not to mention the expense.  You're expectations are correspondingly higher and if you're going to make all that effort it had better be better than what you could have stayed home to watch on TV.  But really, to do better than TV they don't have to reach very far so they often substitute action, violence, explosions and boobs - the stuff they can't show on TV - for story and acting and dialog.

Books: Reading takes a substantial amount more time to enjoy.  You've really got to want it to read a book.  Reading is work compared to TV or film.  Just finding a good book is a chore, hence WWEnd.  Once you get it you have to make time for it.  A lot of time when compared to a movie unless you're a graduate of Evelyn Wood and can read 400 pages in 2 hours.  You have to imagine everything with the barest of clues from the author.  You have to think almost the entire time.  It's not being poured into your brain via your retinas.  There's no soundtrack to manipulate your emotions.  The author describes the action and you have to compose every scene yourself.  The commitment to read a book leaves you with very high expectations.  That book had better match up to the effort required or you'll bail for another.

Of course, these are just generalizations.  Many movies rise up beyond expectations like District 9, 2001, Moon or Gattaca.   The same goes with TV - though I think with less frequency.  The best of Star Trek or even Battlestar Galactica had important things to say.

For my money, I'll trust an author to deliver more than I will a studio but I'm not above turning off my brain for some fun TV like Fringe or SGU or even Avatar, for the special effects mind you.  I've learned to temper my expectations lest I have another Sunshine or Terminator Salvation experience.

@Pierre: Glad to see District 9 got the win over Avatar. I would have been happy with Moon too.

htaccess
Posted 2010-05-16 8:15 PM (#2053 - in reply to #1691)

Veteran

I recently saw Moon and I agree, its at least as good as District 9. Its interesting as I am reading "The moon is a harsh mistress" at the moment. One thing that comes across much more starkly in the movie is just how inhospitable space/the moon is.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)