open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: You must believe the impossible is merely preposterous. - Futurama
- (Added by: Crowgirl)

what to read next..
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Fry
Posted 2010-03-20 8:02 AM (#1817)
Subject: what to read next..

New User

hello all,

stubbled accross this website via a wikipedia entry on Dan Simmons Hyperion - one of my favourite books.

I currently have problem in that I've just finished reading 2 series of books - The hyperion cantos (through to fall of Endymmion) and Peter F Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trillogy - and this has left a bit of a void in my reading.

After reading some of reviews on here some people seem to like similar books to me so I wondered if any one had any suggestions as to what to start next. I tend to like series of books with intricate plots and lots of characters (Space Opera I guess)

anyway enough of my rablings...

thaks in advance for any suggestions!

Fry
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2010-03-20 11:11 AM (#1818 - in reply to #1817)
Subject: RE: what to read next..

Admin

Hello Fry and welcome to WWEnd.  Glad to have you aboard.

Let's see....  intricate plot, lots of characters, space opera, prefer series....

Give Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space a try.  It's a trilogy of mind bending concepts and bizarre characters that I thoroughly enjoyed.  Be warned though that most people either love it or hate it and it takes awhile to get into, at least it did for me.  Well past 100 pages before I really started liking it.  There's a lot of weird packed into that series.  As a one-off read you could try his book Pushing Ice to see if you like his style.  That book is more accessible off the bat and a great read too.

On the not-so-intricate side you could try Old Man's War by John Scalzi.  It's space opera-ish military SF and it's the first of a series though the sequels are not mandatory reading since they're not continuations of the first story.  It's earned an 8.5 rating from 21 members so it seems to be pretty popular.  I see you've read The Forever War and rated it a 7 - you'll probably like OMW.

Another series that I really like is Richard K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs Series starting with one of my favorite books of all time Altered Carbon.  This is more cyberpunk noir blood and guts stuff than space opera but what a ride!  Brutal stuff so not for the faint of heart.  The subsequent books are good but don't reach the heights of AC.  Worth the read for sure but you could stop at one.

Hope that helps give you some ideas.  I'm interested to see what other people recommend as I've not read a lot of SF series that fit your description.

Fry
Posted 2010-03-20 1:12 PM (#1819 - in reply to #1818)

New User

wow!

thanks for that - they both look like very good suggestions! I'm a bit cyperpunk fan too. The blood and guts stuff doesn't tend to put me off.

The idea of bizzarre characters in revelation space sounds good too - I like books with anti-heros and unusual characters,

I have a quick question - I noticed that I couldn't find the Night's Dawn Trilogy when I was serching - is that because it's not yet in your database?

thanks again

Fry
Administrator
Posted 2010-03-20 2:14 PM (#1820 - in reply to #1819)

Admin

Yeah, The Night's Dawn trilogy was not nominated for any of the awards we cover so it didn't make the first cut.  We're expanding our coverage in stages so it'll eventually get added in.  We started with award nominated books, then series books related to the nominees and now we're working in a bunch of "best SF/F" lists to fill in the gaps from the award coverage.

Pierre
Posted 2010-03-21 10:41 AM (#1821 - in reply to #1820)

As I was searching myself for a series to read in the WWE database, reasonable in length, not necessarily one which would take a lifetime to go through such as Xanth, so many listings, and known unlisted as a universe/series, makes it difficult to choose. As a story reader, I expect a beginning, middle and an end. Though it would be nice to read more about hobbits or pursue reading about Dune in the gaps of the original story, their stories have basically been told and for excellent reasons have become classics.

Which universe will become a classic in SF/F literature in the next years/decade? As mentioned, the mid-20th century brought us the Tolkien universe of the Hobbits; the latter end of the past century brought us the Herbert Universe of Dune, preceded and followed by the Foundation realm of Isamov et al. There are many others in the SF/F world of literature and WWE database. Is there a current series/universe that you strongly believe will become the next classic of SF/F literature? It doesnt have to have won awards necessarily though it would be probable.

On a related subject, based on the opinion of its users, WWE could start an Award of its own in the future, starting with a few sub-genres?

P.
htaccess
Posted 2010-03-23 3:00 AM (#1822 - in reply to #1821)
Subject: Re: what to read next..

Veteran

I haven't read Richard K. Morgan yet but he seems to keep coming up so I'm pretty keen to give him a try, just added Altered Carbon to my reading list, it sounds great. I'm guessing someone who likes Reynolds and McLeod is going to like him too.

Charles Stross, is another author I have neglected in a similar vein I think, so many books, so little time.

What is Hyperion similar to, something like Gene Wolfs Book of the New Sun?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)