open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The gods do not protect fools. Fools are protected by more capable fools." - Larry Niven (Ringworld)
- (Added by: Emil)

Campbell and Locus Award
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dabeef111
Posted 2010-04-18 2:42 PM (#1857)
Subject: Campbell and Locus Award

Does anyone know when the nominees will be released for these two awards?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2010-04-19 8:27 PM (#1863 - in reply to #1857)
Subject: RE: Campbell and Locus Award

Admin

dabeef111 - 2010-04-18 2:42 PM Does anyone know when the nominees will be released for these two awards?

Well, I didn't know before but the Locus finalists have been announced today   Bit of a scramble to get them posted!

dabeef111
Posted 2010-04-19 9:00 PM (#1864 - in reply to #1857)
Subject: Re: Campbell and Locus Award

I saw about an hour ago and I am insanely excited. City and the City is being nominated for everything. If its nominated for the BFA, WFA, and Campbell award, then it will have been nominated for more awards than any speculative fiction novel on the site, aka IN HISTORY! That is exciting to think about.
Administrator
Posted 2010-04-19 9:47 PM (#1865 - in reply to #1864)

Admin

dabeef111 - 2010-04-19 9:00 PM I saw about an hour ago and I am insanely excited. City and the City is being nominated for everything. If its nominated for the BFA, WFA, and Campbell award, then it will have been nominated for more awards than any speculative fiction novel on the site, aka IN HISTORY! That is exciting to think about.

I've got that one on my list.  I hope it's good.  So far 5 nominations.  Not too bad.  Got me to wondering what the top nominated books are on WWEnd.  Here's what I found:

Eleven books with 5 or more nominations out of almost 2,000 from 10 different awards.  Rare company indeed.  I've only read 4 of these but I've already got a couple more on my list.

dabeef111
Posted 2010-04-19 10:56 PM (#1866 - in reply to #1857)

I know there are a surprisingly large number of books that received five nomnations. Some others that come to mind are Green Mars, Brasyl, Air, Passage, Deepness in the Sky, The Diamond Age, Nueromancer, and Doomsday Book. Also I know American Gods had 6 nominations and Perdido Street Station and The Scar by China Mielville have 7 nominations each. Im confident that City and the City will also get seven nominations in all and more than two awards which Mielville's other books have yet to achieve. Through my research I also found that Rendezvous With Rama is the not only the first book to get five nominations but it won all five awards making it the most honored science fiction book in history. Gateway is also close with a total of four wins.
Administrator
Posted 2010-04-20 1:13 PM (#1869 - in reply to #1866)

Admin

Well, I figured I missed a few with my list but damn!  After seeing your list I knew I had better do a better job so I got whargoul to run a query on the DB and this is the official list:

7 Nominations:

6 Nominations:

5 Nominations:

So I've read 10 of the 27.  Got me some reading to do.

dabeef111
Posted 2010-04-20 2:44 PM (#1870 - in reply to #1857)

Looks you just about go them all. And I made a mistake and said Green Mars instead of Blue Mars. Its really nice to be able to look at this list. I to have read ten (not counting Blue Mars which has sat on my shelf for two years unread). I am dying to read Perdido Street Station, Deepness in the Sky, Towing Jehovah, Air, Brasyl, City and the City, and Nova Swing.

In other news I am very disappointed to see that the Windup Girl did not receive a locus nomination for best novel but instead only received one for best first novel. However, I am very pleased with most of the nominations for all of this year's awards (not just the locus award). I think 2009 was the strongest year for science fiction since 2005 or 2006. I think 2008 was a travesty with one of the only books that looked worth reading being Anathem. The Nebula had the strongest ballet I have seen since the 1990s (besides 2005) and besides PALIMPSEST (why this book is on the list I will never know) this years Hugo nominees are a knock out.
htaccess
Posted 2010-04-24 4:28 AM (#1906 - in reply to #1857)

Veteran

You know it would be great to have a permanent page that had this info, I'm thinking this list would be a great place to look when wondering what to read next.
Administrator
Posted 2010-04-24 8:50 AM (#1907 - in reply to #1906)

Admin

htaccess - 2010-04-24 4:28 AM You know it would be great to have a permanent page that had this info, I'm thinking this list would be a great place to look when wondering what to read next.

Yeah, you're right.  I'll make a list out of these for sure.

I like to read the multi-nom books because they must be pretty good to get all those nominations and when you tag them as read they really fill up the lists with green.

Administrator
Posted 2010-04-24 10:02 AM (#1910 - in reply to #1907)

Admin

The list is up:

WWEnd Top Nominated Books of All-Time

dabeef111
Posted 2010-04-24 2:59 PM (#1912 - in reply to #1857)

thanks so much for making that. now all you got to do is find the 50 or so others that have 4 nominations each! that will prob take a while. what id like to see is a chart like the one for the authors list so you can order the books by most wins or most nominations. at this point im not really sure which books have the most wins besides rendezvous with rama and gateway.
Administrator
Posted 2010-04-24 3:39 PM (#1913 - in reply to #1857)

Admin

I put the numbers in the description. First 2 have 7, next 2 have 6 all others 5. That list isn't really coded for additional info so that was the only way I could do it. Each section starts over in alpha order by title so that helps a bit too.

If I put in the 4-time noms that list will be huge! I'll get whargoul to run the query to see how many it would be.
dabeef111
Posted 2010-04-24 3:40 PM (#1914 - in reply to #1857)

Just made a list of all the books that had 4 nominations. Im pretty sure I didnt miss any

Year of the quiet sun
Dispossessed
Flow my tears the policeman said
Stochastic Man
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang
Man Plus
Gateway
Fountains of Paradise
Harpist in the Wind
Beyond the Blue Event Horizon
The Claw of the Conciliator
Tea with the Black Dragon
Blood Music
The Postman
Count Zero
Hyperion
Fall of Hyperion
Stations of the tide
A Fire upon the Deep
Green Mars
Beggars In Spain
Moving Mars
Brittle Innings
Mother of Storms
Forever Peace
Distraction
Darwins Radio
Bones of the Earth
Kiln People
Years of Rice and Salt
Iron Council
Only Begotten Daughter
Blind Voices
Timescape
The Citadel of the Autarch

dabeef111
Posted 2010-04-26 4:20 PM (#1931 - in reply to #1857)

Something else i would like to see, but would take a large amount of effort, is all the books on WWE put in chronological order in one giant list. I guess the lists would have to be separated by year or decade. I often like the decade I have read the most books from and to see it all in one big list could be very helpful. Another possibility could be to be able to change the order of books youve read by either author, year, or by listing them in order of favorites
hihik
Posted 2010-04-26 6:36 PM (#1932 - in reply to #1857)

Regular

@dabeef111 what for?
dabeef111
Posted 2010-04-26 7:51 PM (#1933 - in reply to #1857)

why would i want to see all the books in chronological order?
hihik
Posted 2010-04-26 8:15 PM (#1934 - in reply to #1857)

Regular

correct
Administrator
Posted 2010-04-26 10:41 PM (#1935 - in reply to #1931)

Admin

The WWEnd Top Noms list has been updated with the 4-time nominees.  Check it out.

@dabeef111:  That list would be almost 2,000 books long and would drag our servers quite a bit.  I suppose we could paginate the list but I don't really see a lot of utility in a list like that and it would indeed be a lot of work.  It would be kind of cool to see all the books at once but we've got lots of other features we'd like to implement first.

dabeef111
Posted 2010-04-27 8:45 AM (#1937 - in reply to #1857)

was just a pipe dream... I forget that these things take work and cant just magically happen.
Administrator
Posted 2010-04-27 9:31 AM (#1939 - in reply to #1937)

Admin

dabeef111 - 2010-04-27 8:45 AM was just a pipe dream... I forget that these things take work and cant just magically happen.

Hey, you can't win 'em all.  You've already given us some great feedback and ideas like the Top Noms list, so please keep hitting us up.  We'll do the ones that we can within our ability and time allowed.  Thanks!

htaccess
Posted 2010-04-27 4:55 PM (#1948 - in reply to #1857)

Veteran

Perhaps the interface to build the Shopping List (see the Shopping list thread) could export as csv and if you don't select any filtering criteria it could give you all the books out of the books table.
Wintermute
Posted 2010-05-01 3:56 PM (#1975 - in reply to #1948)

I'm sure The City and The City is a fine book but with the proliferation of awards and the various requirements for nominations it was in the right spot at the right time. It gets nominated for British awards at the exclusion of other books for example. And one of its nominations is for Fantasy, not Sci-Fi. So... kind of... we have to keep things in perspective. I hope I am not sounding like a jerk! I'm sure it is a fine, fine book.

The Wintermute evaluation system is to review books that won or were nominated for: Nebula, Hugo, Locus Sci-Fi, and Campbell.
dabeef111
Posted 2010-05-01 7:57 PM (#1978 - in reply to #1857)

i completely agree. However, what makes it impressive is that Mieville's books can appeal to so many different kind of readers, thereby enabling them to be nominated in these wide range of awards. Also the British awards dont nominate only british authors, just books published in Britain. Mieville is just such a popular writer that his books are published in both the U.S. and Britain simultaneously, unlike many british authors (such as Alastair Reynolds) whose books are published in the U.S. a year after their release in Britain. Im not certain, but I think that for the Hugo and maybe some other awards, the books are only eligible in their first year of release, regardless of separate release dates by country. This kind of screws over these authors as far as gaining recognition through awards.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)