open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be. - Paul Valery
- (Added by: wecowo)

Requests? Requests!
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

dabeef111
Posted 2010-05-31 10:54 AM (#2103)
Subject: Requests? Requests!

I'd like to see on each authors page a list of the number of times they have won an award and the number of times they been nominated for it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-31 11:59 AM (#2104 - in reply to #2103)
Subject: RE: Requests? Requests!

Admin

dabeef111 - 2010-05-31 10:54 AM I'd like to see on each authors page a list of the number of times they have won an award and the number of times they been nominated for it.

That would be handy, wouldn't it?  A pretty obvious enhancement that probably should already be in place.

How about this:  I'll add it to the author info section as "Awards:", like we have on the novel page, and list the nominated book titles (with link), the award name, award year and status (winner or nominated) for each book.

For China Mieville it might look something like this perhaps:

The City and The City

(2009: BSFA-w. Nebula-n | 2010: Clarke-w, Hugo-n, Locus F-n)

Iron Council

(2005: Clarke-w, Locus F-w, Hugo-n, WFA-n)

The Scar

(2002: BSFA-n, PKD-n | 2003: BFS-w, Locus F-w, Clarke-n, Hugo-n, WFA-n)

Perdido Street Station

(2000: BSFA-n | 2001: BFS-w, Clarke-w, Locus F-n, WFA-n | 2002: Hugo-n, Nebula-n)

Of course, we could just list it like this too:

• Hugo: 4 noms
  • Nebula:  2 noms
  • BSFA:  1 win, 1 nom
  • Locus F:  2 wins, 2 noms
  • BFS:  2 wins
  • WFA: 3 noms
  • PKD: 1 nom
  • Clarke: 3 wins, 1 nom

Then you'd be left wondering which books got nominated for which awards.  I like the first method better but there might be a better way still.  I'll give it some thought and talk to whargoul about the coding necessary.

If anybody has different idea about how to display this info let me know.

MT in Austin
Posted 2010-05-31 12:56 PM (#2105 - in reply to #2103)
Subject: Re: Requests? Requests!

@administrator
I think both of your proposed enhancements are great ideas.

A list of nominated/winning books and a quick list summarizing the number of award would both be cool.

If I was forced to chose one, it would be the books with nominations/wins denoted.

Edited by MT in Austin 2010-05-31 12:57 PM
dabeef111
Posted 2010-06-01 10:31 AM (#2107 - in reply to #2103)

the second one is a lot easier to read and skim. However, this could also be chance to implement the idea of putting a symbol on the cover of each book that won an award. Perhaps you can make a different symbol for each award.

Actually now that I think about the first is really just doing what each individual book page does. The second actually tells you the authors total tally of wins and nominations for each award. Also I think that the word 'win' should be in bold so it pops out at you more
Administrator
Posted 2010-06-01 11:10 AM (#2108 - in reply to #2107)

Admin

dabeef111 - 2010-06-01 10:31 AM the second one is a lot easier to read and skim. However, this could also be chance to implement the idea of putting a symbol on the cover of each book that won an award. Perhaps you can make a different symbol for each award. Actually now that I think about the first is really just doing what each individual book page does. The second actually tells you the authors total tally of wins and nominations for each award. Also I think that the word 'win' should be in bold so it pops out at you more

Yeah, we've got the symbol thing still on our list.  Here's the thread where we've been talking about it in case anyone missed it: http://www.worldswithoutend.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=262&posts=8&highlight=trophy&highlightmode=1#M1841

The solution I proposed above is exactly what's on the novel pages but it's all in one place for all nominated books by that author which is convenient.  If we get around to adding the trophy icon to the book covers that same info will be in the overlib so it may be a little redundant but it's still in one spot and always visible instead of spread out amongst all the books we have for that author.

You can get the tally of wins and noms on the Authors main page right now so it's available if not convenient.

dabeef111
Posted 2010-06-01 11:23 PM (#2109 - in reply to #2103)

maybe you can have both of your suggested options with the totals listed below the section where each individual book is located. This will save effort in trying to count out how many times, say, Ian McDonald has been nominated and won the Hugo
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)