open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Darling, a true lady takes off her dignity with her clothes and does her whorish best. At other times you can be as modest and dignified as your persona requires." ~ Lazarus Long - Robert A. Heinlein
- (Added by: Administrator)

Science Fiction and Fantasy Art
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2010-06-02 9:39 PM (#2111)
Subject: Science Fiction and Fantasy Art

Admin

So there is some amazing science fiction and fantasy art out there on the webs and I thought I'd start a thread where we can all post our favorites sites and chat about our favorite artists and cover art etc.

I'll start with

If you're here reading this you're probably already aware of Coolvibe but, in case you missed it, go check it out.  It's an art blog where they post some of the best SF/F themed art you're likely to find anywhere on the web.  They have huge sharp images and they update several times a day with new art.  They post all kinds of different styles so you'll find something you like for sure.  I suggest you get on the RSS feed so you won't miss any of the postings.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-02 7:22 AM (#3296 - in reply to #2111)
Subject: Re: Science Fiction and Fantasy Art

Elite Veteran

Wow,there are some really amazing works of art here.Isnt it odd that the often despised SF books regularly,almost as a matter of course,attract the best artists around? great stuff,Dave
By the way,did you see that Leo Dillon died last week.For 50 years he has worked in the field,often with his wife Diane.Younger audiences will be familiar with his art for Joan D Vinge's Snow Queen,but he did the iconic work for Harlan Ellison's Dangerous Visions,and all the old Ace specials.Very rich and subtle stuff
htaccess
Posted 2012-06-26 4:03 AM (#3489 - in reply to #2111)

Veteran

I always liked Rodney Matthews and Ian Miller best.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-26 5:59 AM (#3494 - in reply to #2111)

Elite Veteran

Something that irritates me is how little publicity is given to the illustrators.They are usually mentioned at the bottom of the back cover of paperbacks in impossibly tiny print that needs a magnifying glass to decipher! lol.Yet behind the title page is loads of guff about what kind of type was used,if the paper was recycled etc.Not very respectful IMO
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-27 12:41 PM (#3506 - in reply to #2111)

Elite Veteran

ht access,just been checking up on Matthews.Hadnt realized he did that really beautiful artwork for Michael Moorcocks books.Really good stuff.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-06-28 8:15 AM (#3517 - in reply to #2111)
Subject: RE: Science Fiction and Fantasy Art

Uber User

Rodney Matthews is great!  He sort of reminds me of Roger Dean.  I received Patrick Woodroffe's Mythopoeikon as a gift one year, and loved it! He did lots of beautiful, trippy covers that you'd recognize (at least, if you were of my generation!).

@dustdigger, I feel the just the same way!!  I often find myself checking inside the book to find out who did the cover, but come up empty.  Instead, all too often there's a whole page describing the font - first designed in the 16th century, designed for readability, blah, blah, blah, who cares!  How many fonts used for books AREN'T designed for readability?  You might as well talk about about the boards, or maybe the glue. 

I've always thought that if I were emperor of the world, I would require that every book contain illustrations!

Administrator
Posted 2012-06-28 11:10 AM (#3523 - in reply to #3517)
Subject: RE: Science Fiction and Fantasy Art

Admin

Rodney Matthews and Roger Dean are some of my favorite artists.  Both did some great album cover art too.  Yes and Asia come to mind.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-28 1:12 PM (#3525 - in reply to #2111)

Elite Veteran

@ Emperor Engelbrecht, - dream on! lol.Isnt it odd that we routinely expect illustration from childrens books,yet barely see it in adult work,until it is some special edition,commemorative or the like?.good illustration can add so much to our pleasure in a book,as illustrators for children amply prove.It was 1955 when I read The Lion,the Witch and the Wardrobe,with the marvellous illustrations by Pauline Baynes.To most of my generation,not to see those illustrations would be a tragic loss,and leave a gap in the enjoyment of the books.Cant imagine Ghormenghast without Mervyn Peakes atmospheric work.Each generation forms an attachment to the illustrators of the day.I am familiar with the golden richness of the ERB John Carter of Mars books,but am only happy with the Michael Whelan artwork for the Del Rey edition around early 80s.Back in the 60s I had read a library copy,which had no dustjacket,and had a jazzy pattern all over it! Whelan was the first one I saw,and now automatically think of Barsoom through Whelan's eyes.I also liked his work on The Gunslinger,and Tad Williams Otherland books.He also did a lot of the McCaffrey Dragons of Pern series.
htaccess
Posted 2012-06-28 7:00 PM (#3528 - in reply to #2111)

Veteran

@ Engelbrecht , yea I have Mythopoeikon, its great. I also have Green Dog Trumpet by Ian Miller which is amazing, Ian Miller did a lot of work for Games Workshop as well as a lot of covers in the 80s.

Edited by htaccess 2012-06-28 7:03 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)