open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I was a despicable person, doing despicable things, in a despicable world. I thought you wouldn't have noticed me at all. - Glenn Hough (970 A.D.S.)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

How about an I Own this book selection.
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

daelectric
Posted 2010-11-03 9:10 AM (#2205)
Subject: How about an I Own this book selection.

There are options for Read and Favorite. But how about Own. This would just be another check in the same area as favorite. For those of us with CFS syndrome this would most helpfull. 

This would also allow you to add weight to peoples vote for a book. Did they like it enough to actually buy it. Or did they just check it out from the library or return it to the used book store for credit.

Edited by daelectric 2010-11-03 9:13 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2010-11-03 11:12 AM (#2206 - in reply to #2205)
Subject: RE: How about an I Own this book selection.

Admin

daelectric - 2010-11-03 9:10 AM

There are options for Read and Favorite. But how about Own. This would just be another check in the same area as favorite. For those of us with CFS syndrome this would most helpfull. 

This is one I've been thinking about for a long time.  I often can't remember which books i've already bought but haven't read yet.  I'll see what I can do to add this one.

Deven Science
Posted 2010-11-04 1:09 AM (#2207 - in reply to #2206)

Uber User

While I don't feel a need for an "Own" button, I would use it if it was there. For the most part, they would be the ones already marked under "favorites."

This brings up another possible feature that could be intigrated into WWEnd: a trading post.

Maybe it would be under a forum category, or maybe a separate, specific page where registered users can list the books available for trade, and you can mark books you'd like, they mark books they would like in return, and you can private message the details of trade? Admittedly, it would be complex, and the users would have to cover shipping, plus there are already websites that do this exclusively, so WWEnds version might be simpler, and scaled down.

I don't know, I'm just trying to think of things that might get more traffic flowing into this great site that you've built.
Administrator
Posted 2010-11-14 9:41 AM (#2216 - in reply to #2207)

Admin

This brings up another possible feature that could be intigrated into WWEnd: a trading post.

I like this idea a great deal and it could be pretty simple to put together too.

We could add another check box to the novel page "I have this book for trade." that would populate a new list in My World "Books for Trade" or some such.  You go to a member's profile to see what books they've got up for grabs and you can private message them from there with your proposed trades.

That would cover the books that are actually in our DB at the moment and you can use the forum to post other titles you want to trade.

Some other things we could do:

- Add a section to the novel page that shows when the book is marked for trade.  It would include avatars and names for all members that want to trade that book like the ratings section.  It would expand and collapse etc. so it wouldn't get in the way.  You'd see which books are available for trade from all members and you can pick who you want to trade with.

- Perhaps a second check box "I'd like to trade for this book." would be in order.  If you have the book you can see who else wants it by checking the list on the novel page. Which would mean a new list in My World for the books you want to trade for.

- Add a simple comments box to the Profile page where you can enter in titles for trade that are not in our DB.  Those could appear in the "Books for Trade" list at the bottom as a bulleted list of "Other Books".  You could put anything in there you want and people wouldn't have to find that info in the forums.

What else am I not thinking of?  Anybody else interested in this feature?

I'm not sure there is enough member participation to make this really work but we won't know until we build it.  It certainly couldn't hurt to have it.

Deven Science
Posted 2010-11-15 2:07 AM (#2219 - in reply to #2216)

Uber User

I'm not sure about hunting people's My World pages looking for books they have to trade, but I do like the idea of it being listed on the book's page itself. I would see that you had a book I was looking at to trade, then is when I could follow it to see what other books you had to trade. You know, to make the shipping and trading experience worth it. That I do like.

Checking a novel as "I'd like to trade for this book," wouldn't you then have a sort of "Wish List" on your hands? Ah, now you're on to something, as half of the time, I use my "reading" list as a way to go over to Amazon and add them to my Amazon Wish List, so why not eliminate the middle man? Your Wish List would have books that you would like, and if you successfully trade for them, or end up buying them, then you can remove them from your list, and make room for others. Plus, if I sent my wife a link to my Wish List here, and she purchased some using the Amazon links provided, well then, you get a few pennies, do you not? Hell, you should get something for all of the work you've put into this, even if it just helps cover bandwidth.

Anyhoo, back to topic, yes, I like the idea of a list of books to trade, and your idea of books you'd like to trade for (Wish List), would be a fine addition. Linked through the novel page itself, or your My World page, either way would work, however, I think that if you could go to a specific "Trading Post" page that lists all of the novels available for trade, that would be the page where the person could add in by hand any novels not in your database, and give a person one location for his trading needs. a friend and I tried to set one up years ago on LiveJournal, and called it "Darth Trader," but it died shortly after, having gotten very little attention.
Administrator
Posted 2010-11-15 8:01 AM (#2222 - in reply to #2219)

Admin

A "Wish List" is exactly what I was thinking of!  I did not see the connection to sending people to your wish list to find and buy books for you though.  I really like that.  We could use a few more pennies around here I can tell you.

I think to make it work we'd have to have several ways to find the trade books:

• links on the novel page
  • lists in My World
  • forum area
  • your idea of a "Trading Post" for all books in one place is perfect
  • the Trading Post could list all available books and wish list books too

Some great ideas, Deven!

htaccess
Posted 2010-11-15 4:40 PM (#2226 - in reply to #2205)
Subject: Re: How about an I Own this book selection.

Veteran

A specific "Trading Post" page that lists all of the novels available for trade sounds relatively useful. If such a page was built it would be good if it had the ability to filter by geographical region (country, perhaps city). I would be unlikely to want to trade with anyone outside of my country.
Deven Science
Posted 2010-11-16 12:40 AM (#2229 - in reply to #2226)

Uber User

A specific "Trading Post" page that lists all of the novels available for trade sounds relatively useful. If such a page was built it would be good if it had the ability to filter by geographical region (country, perhaps city). I would be unlikely to want to trade with anyone outside of my country.

A decent point, ht. Trading with a member from, say, the UK may be too expensive to be worth it, so one may want the option to filter by country or region. That's something that could be developed later, though. First thing would be to see the Trading Post page into reality, then filters and other options could be introduced. With the number of regulars on this site right now, and concidering that only a portion of those will use the trading post, then I would say that as long as their location is displayed on the Trading Post page, then I can just mentally note who I'm willing to ship to, or not. Heck, maybe someone's willing to pay COD for a rare book to get to them.
risbom
Posted 2010-12-05 4:33 PM (#2248 - in reply to #2205)

Regular

Hrere is my vote for Own check box. Alslo, for me presonaly, language combo would be usfull, as I am reading or buying books on my native (Croatian) or English. Is anyone else interested in it? For trading options - it look to complicated (shipping etc). And what aboat fraud?
Deven Science
Posted 2010-12-08 12:27 AM (#2252 - in reply to #2248)

Uber User

I guess fraud is a possible danger, but that's why it would encourage book trading rather than books for cash. That way, if you send off a couple of books, but never get anything in return, you're only out a few books and shipping money, and not a bunch of money.

Not to mention that it could be reported to the Administrator, who could then ban that person.
daelectric
Posted 2010-12-08 12:42 AM (#2253 - in reply to #2205)

www.paperbackbookswap.com
Deven Science
Posted 2010-12-08 1:31 AM (#2254 - in reply to #2253)

Uber User

www.paperbackbookswap.com

As I said above, there are websites that specialize in this, but that's not the point. The point is to attract more people and/or activity to this site.
risbom
Posted 2010-12-13 12:41 PM (#2259 - in reply to #2248)

Regular

...Alslo, for me presonaly, language combo would be usfull...

Well, not exactly combo. It would be very clumsy to have combo with hundreds or I do not know how many world languages. However, something like myfirstlanguage and mysecondlanguage, combo or checkbox could be fine.

Also, I like Deven point about attracting more people to this site. There is not to mach visitors related to how good this site is. I am really enjoying 2 things here: information I am getting here, and book tracker functionality. So I would like to see much more people on WWEND. I would also like to read much more reviews from members (ok, one can always find review on Amazon, but that's not same.)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)