open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The path of life can narrow until only one option out of the myriad of possibilities exists. An entire race can hinge at such a moment." - Glenn Hough (970 A.D.S.)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Conventions
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Acknud
Posted 2024-01-23 6:30 AM (#29277)
Subject: Conventions

Uber User

Does anyone go to the conventions? If so, which ones? I want to go to Stokercon (https://www.stokercon2024.com/) this year but my wife looked at me like I was crazy! She thought it was a very "nerdy" thing to do. She doesn't read though!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2024-01-23 3:56 PM (#29279 - in reply to #29277)
Subject: RE: Conventions

Admin

Acknud - 2024-01-23 6:30 AM Does anyone go to the conventions? If so, which ones? I want to go to Stokercon (https://www.stokercon2024.com/) this year but my wife looked at me like I was crazy! She thought it was a very "nerdy" thing to do. She doesn't read though!

I've been to WorldCon 3 times and really enjoyed myself at them all. It is super nerdy but they always have good programming and lots of big time authors to meet and the awards shows are fun to witness.

They can be a bit clique-ish because many of those folks meet up every year. Being recognized from the previous year(s) made it easier to meet folks in successive years. I recommend you bring someone with you and go to as many events/panels as you can. You'll meet more folks that way and have things to talk about as ice-breakers at the evening parties which are usually open to all. If you don't mind putting yourself out there you can have a great time!

spoltz
Posted 2024-03-14 10:02 AM (#29431 - in reply to #29277)
Subject: Re: Conventions

Uber User

I bought a ticket to Worldcon2025 in Seattle. I live in Portland and it's close. I kicked myself for not going to the one in Spokane some years back.
spoltz
Posted 2024-03-16 3:10 PM (#29434 - in reply to #29277)

Uber User

So, to make 2025 even nerdier, I just booked a ticket on a Star Trek cruise. I'm going with some former lunch buddies of mine who are all trekkies. It goes to Mexico and Belize. Captain Janeway, Riker, Q, and many others will be on the cruise as well. It's a big floating Star Trek Convention!
illegible_scribble
Posted 2024-04-16 10:33 AM (#29499 - in reply to #29277)
Subject: RE: Conventions

Uber User

Acknud - 2024-01-23 4:30 AM
Does anyone go to the conventions? If so, which ones? I want to go to Stokercon this year

I usually go to Worldcon, but I've also been to Bubonicon and several of the fan-run conventions in the midwest. The fan-run ones are great, they're not the massive crowds like the for-profit events, and so they're much more relaxed and enjoyable, you can meet and chat with authors and get autographs and photos without having to pay a fee.

As Spoltz says, it's more fun if you go with a friend, but even if not, make the effort to attend lots of programme items and you will find yourself making friends! I hope you do go to Stokercon.

illegible_scribble
Posted 2024-04-16 10:33 AM (#29500 - in reply to #29434)

Uber User

spoltz - 2024-03-16 1:10 PM
So, to make 2025 even nerdier, I just booked a ticket on a Star Trek cruise. I'm going with some former lunch buddies of mine who are all trekkies. It goes to Mexico and Belize. Captain Janeway, Riker, Q, and many others will be on the cruise as well. It's a big floating Star Trek Convention!

I've always wanted to do one of those, but usually go to Worldcon and/or visit family every year and unfortunately don't have the disposable income to do a cruise as well. I hope you have a great time! If you have the time and energy when you get back, I'd love to see your photos posted on your blog (or Flickr or wherever).

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)