open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "So many books, so little time." ― Frank Zappa
- (Added by: Acknud)

Our reads in March 2024
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2024-02-29 1:34 PM (#29407)
Subject: Our reads in March 2024

Elite Veteran

Dusty's TBR for March:
SF/F reads
Clifford D Simak - Shakespeare's Planet
Clifford D Simak - Mastodonia
Poul Anderson - The Broken Sword
R A Lafferty - Past Master
Paul V Dallas - The Lost Planet
Robert N Lowndes - The Mystery of the Third Mine
Leigh Bardugo - Ninth House

Edited by dustydigger 2024-02-29 1:35 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2024-02-29 6:12 PM (#29410 - in reply to #29407)
Subject: Re: Our reads in March 2024

Extreme Veteran

Lots of books for this month. I doubt I will finish them all but I can try.

Princess of Dune - Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson
The Empress of Mars - Kage Baker
Menewood - Nicola Griffith
Station Eternity - Mur Lafferty
The Terraformers - Annalee Newitz
The Tusks of Extinction - Ray Nayler
Die Standing - John Jackson Miller

Other genres
Cold Wind - CJ Box
Exodus - Leon Uris (already started - excellent so far)
Demon Copperhead - Barbara Kingsolver (almost finished - very good)

Three of these are pretty hefty tomes. Perhaps it will snow again to keep me inside reading.

Edited by daxxh 2024-02-29 6:15 PM
bazhsw
Posted 2024-03-03 1:41 PM (#29415 - in reply to #29407)

Regular

February was a really good month for me as I am working through some of 'A Crash Course in the History of Black Science Fiction' for my 'Speculative Fiction of People of Colour' challenge.

I finished the Dark Matter anthology which was mostly excellent. 'Of One Blood' by Pauline Hopkins was great fun with an abundance of ideas thrown at it. It was very much a pulpy adventure, gothic horror, romance whodunnit whilst having some relevant and for the era non-mainstream observations on race. 'My Life in the Bush of Ghosts' by Amos Tutuloa was a bit of a slog, as was 'Mumbo Jumbo' by Ishmael Reed (which has amazing reviews and is described as 'one of the top 100 American books' or something). I found it impenetrable and difficult with no pay-off - a book for the post-modernist lecture hall rather than something to enjoy on a Sunday afternoon. 'The Spook Who Sat by the Door' by Sam Greenlee was tons of fun which is an imagining of a black revolution in the 60's. It's more of a pulpy spy novel and a quick read but not without it's problems. I think it's a stretch to call it science fiction or fantasy though.

In the meantime I have been reading folk horror and occult fanzines...

This month I am hoping to read:

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
Imaro by Charles R. Saunders (really looking forward to this one)
and if I get chance... 'The Magical Adventures of Pretty Pearl' by Virginia Hamilton

I'll space my reading this month out with a series of fanzines called 'Weird Walk' which explore the intersection between walking and general strangeness, history, culture, the landscape and folklore in the UK. It's my birthday this month and as a treat for myself I bought a battered copy of 'Folklore, Myths and Legends of Britain' from 1973 for more money than I should have. Can't wait to explore it!

daxxh
Posted 2024-03-29 11:36 AM (#29466 - in reply to #29415)

Extreme Veteran

The books I read weren't all on my TBR list this month. Quick reads dominated as I don't have a lot of reading time right now.

Star Trek Discovery Die Standing by John Jackson Miller and Star Trek DS9 The 34th Rule by David R. George and Arman Shimmerman were good.

The Tusks of Extinction by Ray Nayler was very good. I recommend this one.

Fortuna by Kristyn Merbeth was ok. This was a random pick from perusing the library shelves. Liked the worlds and the mysterious former inhabitants, but didn't like the whining main character. Not sure if I will read the sequels.

The Swarm by Orson Scott Card was ok. This one wasn't as good as the prequel trilogy that came before it. But, I will read the sequel to it.

The Terraformers by Annalee Newitz was very good. This was another random pick from perusing the library shelves. I recommend this one as well.

I also read three Joe Pickett books by CJ Box. Those were hard to put down, once started. And, I finished Demon Copperhead. This was depressing. Not sure that I would recommend this book to anyone.

Edited by daxxh 2024-03-29 11:41 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)